Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 48mph in a 30mph zone
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
shokkz
been caught speeding, totally put my hands up, was doing 48mph in a 30mph (apprently), didnt seem to be going that fast at all but hey ho.

it was a mobile van thats NEVER been there before and parked in somebodys drive, the road goes from a 30mph to a 40mph back down to a 30mph (stupid i know) and i got zapped by him, laser i think.

ive been driving 4 monthes and really cannot afford to loose my licence as just started a job that i need to drive to be able to get to and from.

whats the most likely punishment?

Where ive hovered the marker is where he was sat, dont know if you can see the tree line in the distance but theres a corner and the 40mph zone isnt far from there, i came round the corner and soon as i seen him he must of got my speed.
mrh3369
3 points and £60 I reckon.
Logician
Yes, you will most likely get a fixed penalty, you are just within the range for that. You now have to avoid getting another fixed penalty for speeding, jumping a red light or using a mobile phone for another 20 months to avoid having your licence revoked and reverting to learner status, so go carefully and do not rely on slowing down where you think speed enforcement might take place.
shokkz
QUOTE (mrh3369 @ Fri, 17 Aug 2012 - 16:43) *
3 points and £60 I reckon.

QUOTE (Logician @ Fri, 17 Aug 2012 - 17:19) *
Yes, you will most likely get a fixed penalty, you are just within the range for that. You now have to avoid getting another fixed penalty for speeding, jumping a red light or using a mobile phone for another 20 months to avoid having your licence revoked and reverting to learner status, so go carefully and do not rely on slowing down where you think speed enforcement might take place.

i hope so fella's, its really getting to me now. Cant stop thinking about the worst possible situation, but if you both think it wont it puts me at ease.
mrh3369
Be sure to accept the fixed penalty as if this makes it to court it will be more points and a higher fine and costs.
led zep
The other problem might be a hike in insurance
shokkz
got my NIP through however it doesnt say my punishment on it, does that come through after ive given my details? or should it say on the NIP?

also the speed was 46mph not 48mph
Jlc
QUOTE (shokkz @ Wed, 22 Aug 2012 - 16:27) *
got my NIP through however it doesnt say my punishment on it, does that come through after ive given my details? or should it say on the NIP?

also the speed was 46mph not 48mph

The NIP just states the alleged offence and is requesting the identify of the driver. Once this is established a conditional offer of fixed penalty (CoFP) should be offered, i.e. 3 points/£60. If this isn't offered or you do not accept it then a court summons will follow.
shokkz
so i send this off, then i recieve the punishment in a sepreate letter?
mrh3369
They can't send any fine until they know the identity of the driver which is what the s172 request is all about.
Jlc
QUOTE (shokkz @ Wed, 22 Aug 2012 - 16:37) *

Basically. But it's likely to be an offer to avoid prosecution in exchange for 3 points and £60. As already noted you do not have to accept this offer and it can go to court but a fixed penalty is going to be your best offer unless you can show you weren't speeding...
shokkz
QUOTE (Jlc @ Wed, 22 Aug 2012 - 16:43) *
QUOTE (shokkz @ Wed, 22 Aug 2012 - 16:37) *

Basically. But it's likely to be an offer to avoid prosecution in exchange for 3 points and £60. As already noted you do not have to accept this offer and it can go to court but a fixed penalty is going to be your best offer unless you can show you weren't speeding...

is that the likely punishment you think? and i would definatly accept that
Jlc
Normally. At 50mph it's straight to summons.
mrh3369
It's a near certainty that you will be offered a fixed penalty.
innocentdevil
it should be straight summons at 50MPH but I know my work colleague got caught doing 57MPH in a 30MPH and was offered a SAC which he gladly accepted.
jimster
QUOTE (innocentdevil @ Thu, 23 Aug 2012 - 14:57) *
it should be straight summons at 50MPH but I know my work colleague got caught doing 57MPH in a 30MPH and was offered a SAC which he gladly accepted.

SAC for nearly double the speed limit? ohmy.gif

I wonder if someone saw 37 instead of 57 and put his form in the wrong pile?

innocentdevil
he was pulled on side of the road and was given bollocking by police officer and that he would get court summons but he was chuffed to bits when he received SAC. it is very surprising.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.