Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clarification over Gatso
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
doggone
Hi all,

This Gatso flashed at me today. It flashed twice as I was driving towards it:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Long+Hill,...2,13.72,,0,15.3

I have read conflicting information about whether Gatsos (unmanned) can be used for oncoming traffic. Can someone clarify and/or point to the documentation about it?

Many thanks!
jobo
no, they are approved for rear use only
desktop_demon
Gatsometer cameras are only approved for detecting offences of vehicles moving away from the camera position. gatsos are not approved for use on approaching traffic.
ford poplar
If in doubt, look at which side of the road the secondary check lines are on the road surface.

Given that dented, detached blue door panel and demolished bollard, seems someone was poss caught out!

Truvelo camera's do take pics of approaching vehicles, but they only have 3 closely spaced white lines on the road.
The one in the link does not appear to be a Truvelo.
ItchyCrakus
This camera can be set off (alledgedly) for "Fun" by travelling in the opposite direction at speed. Dont worry as you will hear nothing from this one.

South Lodge Regular.

captain swoop
alledgedley for fun?

I have done it a few times for fun on the A1 southbound towards the scottish border.
SCTomkinson
QUOTE (captain swoop @ Tue, 14 Aug 2012 - 11:25) *
alledgedley for fun?

I have done it a few times for fun on the A1 southbound towards the scottish border.

Do it every time I pass….. :-)

The ones that dont go off are either active or faulty

The ones that go off to oncoming traffic will almost certainly be dummy units, they have the RADAR module in it but not the camera, nor the device that distinguishes between traffic heading towards it and away from it.

Steve
captain swoop
It doesn't half slow down the cars going the other way though smile.gif
bart811
QUOTE (ford poplar @ Tue, 14 Aug 2012 - 01:17) *
If in doubt, look at which side of the road the secondary check lines are on the road surface.

All the Gatso speed cameras around here have got the lines painted on both sides of the road. Does that make any difference?

E.g. Streetview

Not that this particular camera is a problem anymore. Rumour has it someone put a tyre on top of it and set it on fire.
jobo
QUOTE (bart811 @ Tue, 14 Aug 2012 - 20:52) *

All the Gatso speed cameras around here have got the lines painted on both sides of the road. Does that make any difference?

no
Pete P
QUOTE (bart811 @ Tue, 14 Aug 2012 - 21:52) *

E.g. Streetview

Not that this particular camera is a problem anymore. Rumour has it someone put a tyre on top of it and set it on fire.

Is the camera in the middle of the road? There are a few around here which have the lines on both sides of the road, because occasionally they just turn the camera round so it monitors the other side of the road instead. Got one outside work which normally faces outbound traffic but once a month for a couple of days it will be swapped to watch citybound traffic, and it catches a lot of people.
ItchyCrakus
Not this one. Deffo roadside.

The one between Coulsdon and South Croydon (In the middle of the road) switches throughout the day depending on the traffic.IIRC
The Rookie
'Switches'? Have to be moved by hand I believe, no automated movement.
ItchyCrakus
I will have to take your word for it as I am not inclined to go there and watch for a monkey climbing the pole.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.