Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 51 in a 30
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Paddy2518
I was stopped on the way home tonight doing 51 in a 30 by a copper standing I presume behind a wall, there there occasionally usually getting cars coming down he hill where there in plain sight but they can't be seen if your coming up the hill. Any ways I was pulled over shown the speed gun reading and told that I would receive a summons in 2 to 3 months time and likelihood is that I will get 5 points and a fine. What is there that I can do? Is there anyway that I can argue it because they weren't in view from the direction I was traveling or will I just have to take it as a reminder of why no one likes the police and that's just how the government make up their money?
Logician
You are more likely to get 6 points or possibly a short ban, as your speed falls in the top bracket used by the courts. There is no legal reason the police have to be in sight, guidelines may suggest they should be, but if they were not it does not form a defence.

Because of that speed you may be asked to appear in person rather than plead by post. Either way you would do well to drop the attitude, and be very contrite about what will be regarded as quite an excessive speed.
Jlc
Usually there's very little you can do when stopped at the roadside. That speed is just into the summons limit and a 3 point fixed penalty is not normally issued. Check out the likely outcome
3phase278
QUOTE (Paddy2518 @ Tue, 7 Aug 2012 - 00:48) *
and told that I would receive a summons in 2 to 3 months time

for your info it could be longer than that - info laid within 6 months of offence then add some time is possible as a max limit so don't asume it's gone away if you've heard nothing after 3 months
Paddy2518
Thanks for the replies, looks like il just have to wait and see what comes through the post I'Ll just have to take what ever comes. There was no attitude logician would have just rather found a way to et around it f there was one I'm sure you'd be the same.
sgtdixie
QUOTE (Paddy2518 @ Wed, 8 Aug 2012 - 18:02) *
Thanks for the replies, looks like il just have to wait and see what comes through the post I'Ll just have to take what ever comes. There was no attitude logician would have just rather found a way to et around it f there was one I'm sure you'd be the same.

I just have to take it as a reminder of why no one likes the police and that's just how the government make up their money?

Attitude!

secret_squirrel
^ Bit unfair.

As his comments were written and not spoken it's easy to misinterpret the tone of them.

Logician
It is difficult to imagine any possible tone which would not demonstrate an attitude which it would be much better not to adopt in court, the original point of the comment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.