Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: council refuse to send pcn recording
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
fabnf
I received 3 pcn for being in a bus lane at Cricklewood broadway.

The 1st one received on 06/07/12 for offence commited on 29/06/12
then received on 10/07/12 for offence commited on 21/06/12
and finally on 13/07-12 for the last one (I hope) commited on 02/07/12

I did not deliberately go to the bus lane because I am a bad person. I just prematurely went as I saw the end of bus lane sign and I wanted to caught the traffic lights still on green. Since the end of bus line sign was right there I thought it would be ok to jump in only a few meters before it actually ended. I can guarantee since the 1st pcn arrived I never went there again so I learned my lesson in a hard way. If they hadn't waited so long to send the pcn I would have avoided the other 2!

Also I challenged the fine as I read about the 20meters concession rule which basically says if you go to the bus lane prematurely but no more then 20m it is "acceptable". I also sent Barnet council many e-mails asking for the recordings but they've never sent me. I did this straight away on the day I received the pcn. I thought it was strange that they wouldn't even send an e-mail to acknowledge my e-mail so I was afraid they would just ignore me and I would have to end up paying the full ammount of the fine. I know it says they would still give a chance to pay half the amount if they refuse the appeal but I thought I might not be able to prove that I asked to see the recording - although I have the e-mails on my sent items so I decided to pay the fine after 13 days passed (as 14 days is the deadline).
It seems that is what the council was waiting for. They waited till I paid the fine and then sent me a letter saying that they've considered my challenged but they've seen the recording and were satisfied that I did commit the offence.
They also say in this letter that by paying the pcn I am implicit accepting liability when the truth is that THEY have implicit forced me to pay as they ignored my right to see the recording. It is absolutely unacceptable that they haven't sent me the recording after I explicit said that I WANT to see it and it is my right to see it. Why haven't they sent it with the letter?

Is there anyway I can force them to send me the recordings? Who regulates the council? What should I do? Please help!!!
Incandescent
I'm not sure from your post if you have paid all three PCNs or just one. If you have paid, then you have closed off all avenues of appeal; that is how the system works. If you had waited for the response to your informal appeal, you would have been re-offered the discounted amount.

Please advise us what you have paid. If you have only paid the first, please post up the other PCNs, (both sides), and your appeal e-mails, and the response.
Bagshot
You have a right to see the recording and I believe they have to tell you that you have the right to see them. I'm not completely sure for bus lanes. Can we see copies of all sides of the PCN(s)?

Don't ever expect councils to play fair.
EDW
is it really Barnet council? If it is Brent I may be able to help.
fabnf
QUOTE (Incandescent @ Mon, 30 Jul 2012 - 13:19) *
I'm not sure from your post if you have paid all three PCNs or just one. If you have paid, then you have closed off all avenues of appeal; that is how the system works. If you had waited for the response to your informal appeal, you would have been re-offered the discounted amount.

Please advise us what you have paid. If you have only paid the first, please post up the other PCNs, (both sides), and your appeal e-mails, and the response.

I paid all, does that mean I cannot see the recordings ever? I understand what you say about been re-offered the discounted amount but they were ignoring me so how could I have trusted that it would be re-offered?

Also I would like to find out if there are any deadlines that the council should have followed. For example, I receive the 2nd pcn I received actually happened BEFORE the 1st and it took over 20 days from the date the offence was said to be committed till the date I actually received the notice. What about deadline for sending recordings once they've been requested?

thanks

QUOTE (Bagshot @ Mon, 30 Jul 2012 - 13:23) *
You have a right to see the recording and I believe they have to tell you that you have the right to see them. I'm not completely sure for bus lanes. Can we see copies of all sides of the PCN(s)?

Don't ever expect council's to play fair.

I will get them scanned tonight and will post it here. It does say that I have the right to see but then they never sent me...

The exact location is also not clear since that lane has so many short bus lanes I am actually in doubt between 2 possibilities, you'll once I post the scanned copy.

QUOTE (EDW @ Mon, 30 Jul 2012 - 13:26) *
is it really Barnet council? If it is Brent I may be able to help.

it is barnet sad.gif
EDW
London bus lane law does not entitle you to see the pics or vids unless they want to use them at patas.
treetrunk
QUOTE (fabnf @ Mon, 30 Jul 2012 - 13:34) *
I paid all,

Unfortunately, if you have paid all of them then the matter is closed. Next time please come here for help as soon as you receive the PCNs.
Gan
The discount is a powerful weapon to persuade drivers to pay up instead of contesting winnable cases

As you paid instead of continuing with a formal challenge, the matter is closed.

fabnf
QUOTE (Gan @ Mon, 30 Jul 2012 - 14:06) *
The discount is a powerful weapon to persuade drivers to pay up instead of contesting winnable cases

As you paid instead of continuing with a formal challenge, the matter is closed.

I wouldn't have the money to fund a formal appeal with lawyers which is why I paid but I cannot believe they can get away with not handling it properly. How can they enforce law if they don't follow it themselves?
I am Weasel
QUOTE (fabnf @ Mon, 30 Jul 2012 - 14:17) *
QUOTE (Gan @ Mon, 30 Jul 2012 - 14:06) *

I wouldn't have the money to fund a formal appeal with lawyers which is why I paid but I cannot believe they can get away with not handling it properly. How can they enforce law if they don't follow it themselves?

You don't use/need lawyers, there are no additional costs other than losing the discount. Next time, come here for advice ASAP.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.