Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: over 100mph
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
eurotraveller13
Hi everyone.
urgently need some advice.
on 10/05/12 i was stopped for speeding on the M20 motorway in Kent. i was recorded at an average speed of 103.28. i have no excuses, it was a momentory lapse in consentration and i have been caught. what i am looking for is advise as to court preperation. what should i do with regards to letters from emplyers, reference letters etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Guilty
Euortraveller13
Logician
If you are disqualified it is not going to be for very long, so the risk of you losing your job must be small. References are of little or no value. The question is which would be better for you, 6 points or a ban for a couple of weeks, because at that speed either is possible. The answer depends on your personal circumstance, how many points you have at the moment if any, and how likely it is you will get more in the next three years. you are likely to be asked to attend court for disqualification to be considered in any event.
eurotraveller13
Hi any ban would be bad for my job, as i drive 72 miles a day to my office or further if i am visiting other sites. i currently have no points on my licence. what is you best guess regarding hjow many points, size of fine or length of ban
The Rookie
6 points or a 7 possibly 14 day ban, give the right mitigation and it will be points, don't admit to not concentrating whiledoing in excess of 100!
BaggieBoy
Are you owed any holiday? Might be prudent to hold some back to cover any period of ban. Also remember the ban starts the moment it is imposed, so don't drive alone to the court.
Aretnap
eurotraveller13
Thanks, that helps me with regard to the fine and the points. is there a chance of avoiding a driving ban?
Logician
It would be either 6 points or a ban for up to a couple of weeks, a fine equivalent to one week's net income, costs of say £70/85 and surchage of £15. You should say something to the effect, if true, that the weather was clear and dry, visibility good and there was only light traffic. You momentarily allowed your speed to climb, but this was not sustained speeding. You have a clean licence and are not a habitual speeder. Do not say anything that is not true, if the officer's statement conflicts it would create a very bad impression. Go on to say that losing your licence even for a short period would be difficult for you and more importantly (your company/work colleagues/family/whoever). Having 6 points would certainly have a salutary effect and make you pay more attention to keeping to speed limits in the future.
eurotraveller13
Thanks Logician,
spookily enough, your statement is about 95% true and i will add it to my mitigating circumstance part of the return and it will also match the detail from the policwe officers statement.
eurotraveller13

Questions:
is there a time limit from the offence occuring and the summons arriving?
At the bottom part of the form it says reply after caution: which is blank. but in the statement of the officer it says " i cautioned him again and said do you understand, he replied YES ( slight conflict )

Just below this on the traffic offence form it says drivers signature, which has been signed by the officer, NOT me

Is it a requirement for this form to be signed by me?
AntonyMMM
QUOTE (eurotraveller13 @ Fri, 3 Aug 2012 - 13:58) *
Questions:
is there a time limit from the offence occuring and the summons arriving?

Information must be laid with the court within 6 months of the date of the offence... The actual summons may arrive later.

At the bottom part of the form it says reply after caution: which is blank. but in the statement of the officer it says " i cautioned him again and said do you understand, he replied YES ( slight conflict )

Not going to help you

Just below this on the traffic offence form it says drivers signature, which has been signed by the officer, NOT me

Is it a requirement for this form to be signed by me?

No

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.