Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: contesting a speeding ticket? vascar
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
FLENG2008
so i was riding down the road behind a police car and he pulled over to let me pass then followed me for a bit then pulled me over

he claimed i was doing 39 in a 30, i told him i was doing 33 but he was having none of it and said he got that speed off his vascar or something?

would the vascar have recorded my registration and speed or is it his word against mine

im not sure to contest the speed because i know i wasnt going faster than 33, but if the has the recorded evidence i may as well give up arguing and swallow the fine and points

cheers ben
CuriousOrange
33 mph is still in excess of the speed limit, so still an offence, so still three points.

So if you've been offered a Fixed Penalty Notice you'll only get a worse result (in terms of money) if you take it to court, even if they believe you.

redloner
QUOTE (FLENG2008 @ Tue, 24 Jul 2012 - 09:09) *
i told him i was doing 33

You admitted speeding?

Crossed with CO's post. Point made.
sgtdixie
If attached to a video it will show your speed and vehicle including VRM. If no video the officer will give evidence that he checked your vehicle using the time & distance device and stopped you and reported you.

Was this an unmarked vehicle or a marked one?

You will struggle to convince a bench that if the officer was doing 30 you overtook at just 3 mph faster, not that it makes much difference as that is still speeding of course.
FLENG2008
i didnt overtake at 33, i was following him at 30 clock speed 33, he pulled over and followed me, then claimed i was doing 39, no worries anyway if its not worth contesting ill just deal with it

cheers anyway
Jlc
QUOTE (FLENG2008 @ Tue, 24 Jul 2012 - 16:31) *
i didnt overtake at 33, i was following him at 30 clock speed 33, he pulled over and followed me, then claimed i was doing 39, no worries anyway if its not worth contesting ill just deal with it

cheers anyway

Something isn't quite right here - I suspect the officer may give a different account?

Anyway, the vascar basically measures time and distance thus giving an average speed. It's subject to human error - depending on how strong you feel about this it might be worth fighting if you weren't speeding. 33 on your speedo is likely to be around the 30 actual mark as you note... If you decide to take it to court you will be able to see all the evidence against you, including the vascar details if you haven't seen them already? 3 points is still the risk but the fine will be higher than the £60 fixed penalty if you lose.
norahl
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 24 Jul 2012 - 16:38) *
QUOTE (FLENG2008 @ Tue, 24 Jul 2012 - 16:31) *

cheers anyway

Something isn't quite right here - I suspect the officer may give a different account?

Anyway, the vascar basically measures time and distance thus giving an average speed. It's subject to human error - depending on how strong you feel about this it might be worth fighting if you weren't speeding. 33 on your speedo is likely to be around the 30 actual mark as you note... If you decide to take it to court you will be able to see all the evidence against you, including the vascar details if you haven't seen them already? 3 points is still the risk but the fine will be higher than the £60 fixed penalty if you lose.

...of course you will need to explain how you know exactly when the officer measured your speed s oyou could compare it to your speedo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.