Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN Loading bay. Sign facing wrong way and placed too high
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
jonlebon
Hi

I got a PCN for:
46: stopped where prohibited (on a red route or clearway)

The location is outside Argos store Balham SW12.

I lodged a representation on the ground that:

The sign showing the time parking is allowed is facing the wrong way and is not visible from parking bay.
The sign is placed too high, much higher than any other similar sign.

The representation was rejected on the ground that:

I have not established grounds or suitable reasons for the penalty charge to be cancelled.

I have attached photos and docs.

Any reply most appreciated.
makara
Does the ticket have any text on the other side? If so post that too
Incandescent
How long did you stop there, because if you stopped, read the sign, (probably neede to get out of the car to do so), then departed on realising you could not park, then this should be a good reason to cancel the PCN. On the other hand, if you parked up and did something else, then you will have to find other arguments. All fairness demands a motorist must have an opportunity to read a sign giving the permitted parking hours and vehicles. Mind you, I don't think the operators of CPE, the councils, really bother at all about fairness as your rejection indicates.
clark_kent
Its not meant to be read from the bay as its a stopping restriction, if you stop to read it in the bay you are in contravention which is why it is facing the flow of traffic.
jonlebon
"Its not meant to be read from the bay as its a stopping restriction, if you stop to read it in the bay you are in contravention which is why it is facing the flow of traffic"
________________________________________________________________________________
__

Hi Clarke

Since the sign is placed quite high, it is not possible to read it while approaching the bay without taking your eyes off the road and potentially risk an accident.

Also, in the TFL reply ( see attachements) they admit the sign is placed high but do not mention anything about reading it while approaching the bay.

Jon
Incandescent
OK then, it is inadequate signage. If signs that are supposed to be read by motorists whilst driving cannot be so read, then the sign is inadequate, no ifs or buts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.