Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: red light Nip
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
leftshooter
hey

can you help me with a nip question?

i was driving my mothers motability car and im the only insured driver, i have had my licence for less than 8 months

and i ran a red light by accident whilst looking at a sat nav

is there any loops i could use to avoid this?

by the way i did run through a red light camera i didn't see it flast as it was day and i haven't received the nip yet

can you give me some advise as i really don't want to get the 3 ponts

thanks
Jlc
How long ago was this?

If you do receive a NIP then there's probably little you can do. Some forces offer awareness courses to avoid the points...
leftshooter
this happened today

thanks for the reply
Jlc
Ok, as it's a motability the NIP can take a little longer to arrive as it may go to motability first... There was a discussion on here a while back about how these cars are registered but it might a month or so before you see a NIP.
leftshooter
after my mom send my name as the driver

if i decided to take it to court will i face 6 penalty points if i lose?

could i claim that i borrowed the car or just deny it because of the picture quality?

thanks alot
Jlc
Taking it to court would still be 3 points but with the higher risk of a larger fine. But if you passed through red then what's your defence? A fixed penalty would be the cheapest way out (remember a course may be offered if you weren't too far into red)

If you start playing 'games' about naming the driver or quality of photo's then it's likely to end up nasty. The pictures are the evidence of the offence, the RK has to name the driver. Failure to do so could attract 6 points and a large fine.
Logician
If you receive a s172 request and fail to answer it there is every chance you will be prosecuted for the offence and receive 6 points, answer it and fail to nominate a single driver, the same, deliberately name the wrong driver and you risk a prison sentence. No one here will suggest you say anything other than the truth, and claiming you borrowed the car would help you how exactly?

Any response other than the truth will not do. You went through a red light, you did not mean to, but you did. Do not make things worse for yourself by inventing some phoney story. Provided the red had not been on for too long you should just get 3 points, or some areas run courses as an alternative to any other action, which would avoid any points.
southpaw82
QUOTE (leftshooter @ Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 19:18) *
could i claim that i borrowed the car or just deny it because of the picture quality?

Start lying and two things may come to pass: firstly, you will be banned from here and secondly, you may go to prison.
leftshooter
ok thanks guys

hopefully i might not get it at all which is unlikely,

just scared that i might make a stupid mistake again and loose my licence

i hated learning

but now i will make sure i use %100 attention whilst driving

i will keep you updated.
Jlc
You may be lucky and hear nothing more.

It happens to us all and sometimes these sort of episodes are actually for the best. I ran a red the other day and it did me the world of good! (no cameras or witnesses fortunately)

Don't turn a simple error into something much bigger.

There's a bit of tolerance in the cameras so if it had just literally changed to red whilst passing the sensor then you may be lucky.
The Rookie
QUOTE (leftshooter @ Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 19:49) *

Dare I say that should be the normal state of affairs?
andy_foster
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 17 Jul 2012 - 15:37) *

That would be very dangerous. Whilst it is difficult to quantify how much attention you are paying, anything that requires anything like you maximum attention will leave you utterly shattered in a very short time. Also if you try to pay your utmost attention to absolutely everything on the road - which is what 100% attention implies - you will suffer from information overload and be an utter liability.
jimster
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Tue, 17 Jul 2012 - 16:53) *

That would be very dangerous. Whilst it is difficult to quantify how much attention you are paying, anything that requires anything like you maximum attention will leave you utterly shattered in a very short time. Also if you try to pay your utmost attention to absolutely everything on the road - which is what 100% attention implies - you will suffer from information overload and be an utter liability.

I find that 80% paying attention is sufficient for most roads ......

And I always leave at least 10% of my attention for looking at the scenery, attractive females etc. cool.gif

sgtdixie
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Tue, 17 Jul 2012 - 16:53) *

Definition of concentration from Police Advance training

"Total application of mind and body to a single endeavour to the total exclusion of anything else."

I recommend advance training for all drivers. After a while it stops being draining and becomes relatively easy, The OP should consider it. It will do more to prevent accidents and getting points than anything else he can do.
Transit man
QUOTE (jimster @ Tue, 17 Jul 2012 - 17:04) *
attractive females etc. cool.gif

Three points & £60 a look now biggrin.gif
Logician
If Mrs Logician is on board, attention has also to be devoted to responding, eg:
Thank you, I did notice that
The satnav now says we should be there in XX minutes
I do not remember agreeing we should visit your family
Yes, that petrol is cheap/expensive/the same as we pay
No, I was not intending to drive into the car in front
Calm down, there is no need for you to swear at other drivers, if it needs to be done, which is unlikely, I can take care of it
Pete P
Motability cars are registered to the customer, so the NIP should go straight to your mother, who will have to name you as the driver.

As said if you start playing silly buggers and lying, you're less likely to get offered a fine and points (or even a traffic signal awareness course and 0 points) and more likely to go to prison.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.