Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN in a non-restricted area?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Papasmurph
I'll try to be concise. This is a very fresh PCN so I don't want to post anything to link me to the scene just yet.

The Story:
I received a PCN with offence code "01 Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours"... on a Sunday!
There are no signs, no PCZ, no residential parking, no pay & display, no yellow red or white lines, or any other road markings in the vicinity - absolutely no evidence of restricted parking.

My research:
One similar but inconclusive post on PePiPoo (link) suggested that the council may claim the offence was a dropped footway (Offence Code 27) which I could have been obstructing.

I plan to challenge on the grounds that there are no parking restrictions but if my challenge is rejected on the basis of the dropped footway (OC 27), can the PCN issued under OC 01 still be valid?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
An extremely disgruntled parker!
khemist
Hi papasmurf

This sounds fishy on the face of it...
Wait for the troops they will assist you shortly.
In the meantime as per the faq's scan all the pages of the ticket front and back, then use something like paint [the software] to edit out your personal details, then post up here it will help these guys and girls to assist you faster.

khemist
bama
One similar but inconclusive post on PePiPoo (link) suggested that the council may claim the offence was a dropped footway

they haven't
I received a PCN with offence code "01 Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours"

They can't swap horses like that.
As advised post up the ALL of PCN, take out personal. leave dates and times in.
also, we need to know the location.
Papasmurph
Thanks for the replies, location here.

I don't have the PCN with me, I will scan and post tomorrow.
Mattexmo
I wonder if they confused your case with another? If so, their bad luck, I'd think.
Neil B
QUOTE (Papasmurph @ Mon, 2 Jul 2012 - 02:22) *
There are no signs, no PCZ, no residential parking, no pay & display, no yellow red or white lines, or any other road markings in the vicinity - absolutely no evidence of restricted parking.

Vicinity being what?

The most likely explanation is a Specially Authorised (DfT) zone where no markings or signs are needed. Signs at entry points to the 'zone', the most likely example being entering Park Rd from the A4. Streetview dates back to 2008 so no use - but what is there now? - or other possible locations?

Area certainly looks typical of those where these are applied.
Papasmurph
Thanks for the replies.

PCN attached.

By vicinity, I mean approximately this area:

I drove in from the A4, parked on the corner of and left via Chesterfield Road. I did not notice ANY parking restriction signs but also... this was on a Sunday!! Surely they have to be pretty special circumstances to restrict parking in this area on a Sunday?

I'm sure the issue was the DK and that the warden put the wrong offence code on the ticket. Can someone please advise how to best approach this with regard to challenging the ticket.

QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 2 Jul 2012 - 15:34) *
The most likely explanation is a Specially Authorised (DfT) zone where no markings or signs are needed. Signs at entry points to the 'zone', the most likely example being entering Park Rd from the A4... Area certainly looks typical of those where these are applied.

I can't believe there are 'special areas' that do not require any visible parking control signs or lines. Sounds like platform 8 3/4 and you need to be a magician to know they exist!

Worthwhile pointing out that no other cars in the area were ticketed and this was near the entrance to a park - lots of visitors and they can't all be living on the boundaries.

QUOTE (Papasmurph @ Tue, 3 Jul 2012 - 17:08) *
Sounds like platform 8 3/4 and you need to be a magician to know they exist!

9 3/4 blush.gif
orford
Re: PCN No: XXXXXXX

I wish to make an informal representation against the above PCN received on 1st July 2012

I was parked in Chesterfield Road, where there were no visible parking restriction signs, no residents or pay & display bays, no single or double yellow lines, or any other road markings in the vicinity - absolutely no evidence of restricted parking.

I am at a loss as to why my vehicle was issued with a penalty notice.

I would, therefore, request that the PCN be cancelled on the grounds that the contravention as alleged on the PCN did not occur.

Yours sincerely,
Neil B
QUOTE (Papasmurph @ Tue, 3 Jul 2012 - 17:10) *
I can't believe there are 'special areas' that do not require any visible parking control signs or lines. Sounds like platform 8 3/4 and you need to be a magician to know they exist!

Ah, yeah. Sorry, silly me. rolleyes.gif

-
Papasmurph
Email sent, thanks. Let's see what happens now!

Auto reply:

Thank you for your communication.

Your e-mail will be dealt with as soon as possible

Please note that although it is generally Hounslow Council’s aim to answer written and email correspondence within 10 working days, correspondence regarding Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) is covered by different statutory response times. Further information regarding these statutory timescales, as well as other useful information regarding parking, can be found at the following link:

http://www.hounslow.gov.uk/index/transport...arking/pcns.htm

Please note the instructions printed on the PCN which act as a guideline if you wish to contest it.

If you have submitted correspondence contesting a PCN, the current response time is approximately 28 days.

If your e-mail relates to a permit request, please note permit issues should be sent to parkingpermits@hounslow.gov.uk Your email has been forwarded on this occasion. The Permit Team will respond to your e-mail within 10 working days.

Regards

Parking Services
London Borough of Hounslow

________________________________________________________________________________

28 days? Very quick to issue tickets, very slow to respond to challenges!
Papasmurph
"Thank you for writing to us.

You vehicle was parked at a point where the pavement slopes down to meet the road and it was near a junction which, could hinder other road users such as pedestrians. However the Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO) made an error in using the wrong contravention code. Therefore the case will be cancelled due to this.

Yours sincerely"

smile.gif

Thanks for all the advice.
SchoolRunMum
Well done!!
Incandescent
Very, very, very well done !!
Neil B
Indeed, well done; You were right in your assumption that they intended a DK PCN.

However, for future reference
QUOTE (Neil B @ Wed, 4 Jul 2012 - 00:41) *
QUOTE (Papasmurph @ Tue, 3 Jul 2012 - 17:10) *

Ah, yeah. Sorry, silly me. rolleyes.gif

-

They do exist; We are currently dealing with two cases and several others have been seen.
Papasmurph
I did understand your point and I'm shocked (but not surprised) that these magical zones exist; I'm also shocked (but not surprised) that same principle applies to DK's.
I'm sure DK regulations are not common knowledge and I'm just grateful to the CEO officer who thought he knew, but didn't really know his job properly.

I have already sent my application to "Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry" mastering in the subject of parking so presuming I pass, I shouldn't fall foul of the parking services again.

Anyway, happy bunny right now: Parking services 0 - 1 me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.