Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will I get a Summons?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
skatingchris
Was driving home last night at 00.30 and was pulled over by a police car (panda not unmarked) who asked me name, car owner , and informed me I was going above speed limit (not sure how fast was going but is a 40 limit). He said that if i was prosecuted I would most likely get 3 points and £60 fine. Told me to watch my speed and let me carry on.

Does this constitue a verbal NIP, so will I be watching my post for the next 6 months - or has he opperated "discretion" - as I left I was uner impression he had but having read the website I understand practices around verbal NIPs vary

Thanks
DW190
QUOTE (skatingchris)
Was driving home last night at 00.30 and was pulled over by a police car (panda not unmarked) who asked me name, car owner , and informed me I was going above speed limit (not sure how fast was going but is a 40 limit). He said that if i was prosecuted I would most likely get 3 points and £60 fine. Told me to watch my speed and let me carry on.

Does this constitue a verbal NIP, so will I be watching my post for the next 6 months - or has he opperated "discretion" - as I left I was uner impression he had but having read the website I understand practices around verbal NIPs vary

Thanks

No

He should have said something like "I am reporting you for the consideration of" Blah Blah Blah
andy_foster
If he was going to do you for speeding at a "fixed penalty" speed, he'd have given you a fixed penalty.
The Rookie
I agree, you were lucky enough to get a 'friendly warning' (what a difference it is between a real copper and a Scamerati)...consider yourself lucky!

Simon
Broadsword
You got the friendly warning because there's nothing else that he could do! 'Pandas' do not have their speedos calibrated and so if he wanted to get the corroborative evidence from that vehicle's speedo that Panda would've had to have gone to a (Police) traffic garage and had the speedo calibrated within (cannot remember the exact time but it's something like 48 hours) a short time period. That means a valuable Panda off the road until it can be done, the shift Sgt or Insp would not authorise that and he knew that when he spoke to you.
I have never known of a successful prosecution in these circumstances (but someone will have!!)
skatingchris
Many thanks - will hear the the postman with a bit les anxiety! (And be very careful coming home at night!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.