Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long to wait before I get a summons?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
banana_andrew
Hi,
Last October I was caught by 2 very angry policemen in a car going rather fast. My friend had just bought a bike, and we were driving home after a night out. It was 2am, and a completely empty straight carriageway. It was a 50mph before it turned into a 70.
My friend was going 130, I was doing 110. I was in my car. The police stopped us in a normal police car-not traffic or anything. We were seriously b*ll*cked, and we both filled in slips to say that we'd been going 130. I said I wasn't, and he said to argue that in court. Then they left us. Not that it matters, but I've been driving 13 yrs, had 3 points in the past (5yrs ago) and overall a damn good citizen (apart from that speeding occasion!!)Anyway, they said we'd here about it in due course.
This was 7 months ago, and it's been hanging over me since then. When it first happened, I posted on here, and I *think* someone replied saying that they have 6 months to "start proceedings ", which could take up to 2 months. Does this sound about right?
Or do you think I've been lucky, learnt my lesson, and will hear no more about the matter??
Thanks
AFCNEAL
You haven't said when in October. Indeed they have 6 months to commence procedings and they seem to often be done very close to the 6m in some cases. So if the offence was late October they may have only kicked things off a couple of weeks back and you've probably a fortnight or more before you're safe. If it was October 1st, there's still time but looking more positive.

BUT, was the vehicle registered to you then (and now) have you moved etc which could affect receipt?
jobo
yes it sounds right

you could ring yjr local mags and ask if anything is in your name
Gan
QUOTE (jobo @ Mon, 7 May 2012 - 12:47) *
yes it sounds right

Would they know or should the OP also ring the court nearest to the alleged offence ?
jobo
QUOTE (Gan @ Mon, 7 May 2012 - 12:54) *
QUOTE (jobo @ Mon, 7 May 2012 - 12:47) *
yes it sounds right

Would they know or should the OP also ring the court nearest to the alleged offence ?

i meant local to the offence,
banana_andrew
I don't really want to raise awareness of it! If everybody could just forget all about it!!! Especially the court system!

It was 7th October, so it's been 7 months now. Fingers crossed.......
jobo
you cant have it both ways, you either leave it another few weeks to see if anything comes, or you ring up and find out, if the info isnt laid now, there is nothing they can do

question have you any thing in my name ? answer no,,, ok thanks
banana_andrew
Hi, thanks for your reply.
The offence date was 7 / 10/ 12 so 7 months ago, to the day. I haven't moved house or changed car or anything, o I guss I've kept it quite simple for them. What's the latest that people have heard of after 6 months? Or do you think the cps may have just quietly dropped it as its not on any sort of camera,or any way of measuring speed and is just the policemans word against mine?

AFCNEAL
QUOTE (banana_andrew @ Mon, 7 May 2012 - 13:34) *
Hi, thanks for your reply.
The offence date was 7 / 10/ 12 so 7 months ago, to the day. I haven't moved house or changed car or anything, o I guss I've kept it quite simple for them. What's the latest that people have heard of after 6 months? Or do you think the cps may have just quietly dropped it as its not on any sort of camera,or any way of measuring speed and is just the policemans word against mine?

Doubtful the CPS will drop it, but the Cops might have decided not to pass it through for processing. If you search on here, 8 months seems to be the most people have waited - so either call/ask or just sit tight!
banana_andrew
This may sound like a silly question, but how would I know which court to call? And would it be a magistrates court?
Do I literally just call up the number in the yellow pages for the court, and ask if they have anything booked in under my name? Do they just give that kind of information over the phone?
Sorry, I've never been involved with anything like this before in my life!!! it's all very new to me!
Thanks
AFCNEAL
QUOTE (banana_andrew @ Mon, 7 May 2012 - 14:30) *
This may sound like a silly question, but how would I know which court to call? And would it be a magistrates court?
Do I literally just call up the number in the yellow pages for the court, and ask if they have anything booked in under my name? Do they just give that kind of information over the phone?
Sorry, I've never been involved with anything like this before in my life!!! it's all very new to me!
Thanks

The local mags to wherever the offence took place - not 100% reliable though. I'd be tempted to wait - after all it'll make no difference!
banana_andrew
I think I'll just sit tight, rather than lure myself into a false sense of security!
I'm going away for 2 weeks in a week... If I havent got a letter on my doorstep when I get back then I'm going to start counting my chickens! :-)
Thanks fr your help though.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.