Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two cars caught by one camera?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
roleypoley66
The other night I was travelling down a dual carriage way overtaking another car heading towards 60mph speed camera. The car I was overtaking started to speed up and I got slightly drawn into speeding up as well. I slowed down (61 to 62 mph) approaching the fixed camera with the other car just ahead of me when we both passed the camera. It all happened very quickly but the camera flashed twice when we both were almost side by side. I was in the right hand lane and the other car on the left. I am trying to think whether I speeded up before I got out of the camera range, or the other car's speed triggered the camera.

I suppose my question is, will the camera log both of us together or just one car?
Logician
Sorry, but if we had the abilitiy to see into the future and therefore tell you what will happen as a result of this incident, we would certainly be doing something more exciting than answering road traffic queries!
Jlc
QUOTE (roleypoley66 @ Fri, 27 Apr 2012 - 09:49) *
I suppose my question is, will the camera log both of us together or just one car?

If you were doing 61 or 62 the camera probably wouldn't have triggered.

Anyway, the camera will be triggered when it detects something above the threshold (68mph probably). I presume it's a gatso with the lines on the road? Someone should look at the two stills produced and ensure the recorded speed closely matches the secondary check (by the lines).

Depending on what the camera has caught it's possible that one, both or neither of you will hear. They have 14 days to send the NIP to the RK.
norahl
The other night I was travelling down a dual carriage way overtaking another car heading towards 60mph speed camera. The car I was overtaking started to speed up and I got slightly drawn into speeding up as well. I slowed down (61 to 62 mph) approaching the fixed camera with the other car just ahead of me when we both passed the camera. It all happened very quickly but the camera flashed twice when we both were almost side by side. I was in the right hand lane and the other car on the left. I am trying to think whether I speeded up before I got out of the camera range, or the other car's speed triggered the camera.

...how? Did you have a tow rope tied between you?
desktop_demon
There is a chance that the camera was in dummy mode and was just flashing. They may or may not have been film inside. The only option is to wait 14 days..... Good luck!
Gan
Is it possible that two cars close together would give a reflection like a van that would have a lower speed limit ?
Transit man
If you were doing as you say, 61-62 on your speedo, then probably nearer a true 58-59 & if the limit is 60, then you will (should) not hear any more. If however, your speed was over 70 on your speedo, a true 68-69, then you may hear something. But as already stated, 14 days (if you are the RK) will be the only true test.

QUOTE (Gan @ Fri, 27 Apr 2012 - 18:29) *
Is it possible that two cars close together would give a reflection like a van that would have a lower speed limit ?

A van would have the same speed restriction (60), but it could have seen the two as an HGV, with a 50 limit, although I thought that they had some form of weight measurement, but I am certainly not sure.
odom
QUOTE (Transit man @ Fri, 27 Apr 2012 - 19:34) *
A van would have the same speed restriction (60), but it could have seen the two as an HGV, with a 50 limit, although I thought that they had some form of weight measurement, but I am certainly not sure.

HGVs are 40mph on single carriageway, most LGVs are 50mph.

It uses radar to detect the type of vehicle which is why you often see them flash coaches, who have a 50mph limit, because the Gatso thinks it is an HGV with a 40mph limit as they are similar sizes.
Transit man
QUOTE (odom @ Fri, 27 Apr 2012 - 20:55) *
HGVs are 40mph on single carriageway,

Quite, except the OP clearly states:-The other night I was travelling down a dual carriage way

Hence I will stick by my comment:- A van would have the same speed restriction (60), but it could have seen the two as an HGV, with a 50 limitbiggrin.gif

I don't understand your comment on HGV (heavy goods vehicle) & LGV (large goods vehicle) which are the same & are subject to 40 on a single carriageway not 50. Maybe you think LGV stands for light goods vehicle? It doesn't.
Bruno

Are you sure the speed limit was 60mph?
Because you state that it was a dual carriageway and you triggered the camera at about 62mph, I drive about 100 thousand miles a year and i cannot remember ever seeing a dual carriageway with the limit set at 60mph, it is usually 50mph or national speed limit sign is 70mph. I would have a look because if it was a 50mph that would explain the camera flashing at your speed.
Transit man
QUOTE (Bruno @ Sat, 28 Apr 2012 - 16:44) *
I drive about 100 thousand miles a year and i cannot remember ever seeing a dual carriageway with the limit set at 60mph, it is usually 50mph or national speed limit sign is 70mph.

Really, you've never seen one in that number of miles driven?, ok, not that common but there are plenty about, this example on the A491 between the M5 Junction 4 heading towards Stourbridge which is 60 for an awful long way, to name but one. Plenty of others I can think of as well as this one.
The Rookie
A45 all the way from Stivichale to the M45, and from Coventry to Birmingham airport is a Dc with a 60 limit, DC's with 60 limits are common as muck round here!
Transit man
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 28 Apr 2012 - 22:20) *
A45 all the way from Stivichale to the M45, and from Coventry to Birmingham airport is a Dc with a 60 limit, DC's with 60 limits are common as muck round here!

Indeed, two others that spring to mind.
desktop_demon
If the camera is a gatso then the manufacturer recommends rejecting any photos showing two vehicles in the detection and measurement zone . Not that it stops some pratnerships from prosecuting......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.