Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new drivers act runs out 3 days after 14day NIP
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
crandy100
Hi guys,

Tricky one.

I am awaiting on a speeding fine (fixed camera). My new drivers act runs out 3 days after the maximum "timeout" period of 14 for the NIP to arrive.

I have 3 points currently, so a further 3 will revoke my license.

If I go to court etc etc and drag it out so my license can now take 12 points and the new drivers act is over. how will I fair up?

Regards

MartinHP71

It is the time of the offence that counts, not when you are convicted.

So if your license was within the 2 years at the time of the offence you will likely have it revoked by the DVLA sorry.
crandy100
My previous points where not for speeding.

I work for an Emergancy service, loosing my license will mean I can not do my job - will loose my job, therefore putting others lives at risk.

EDITED OUT
oldstoat
Unfortunately its an administrative thing not a court imposed sanction. Though if speed was high enough could you ask for a short ban. Plead hardship etc
crandy100
EDITED OUT

I also assume a speed awareness course is out an option?
mrh3369
It's going to be a revocation for sure.
crandy100
QUOTE (mrh3369 @ Sun, 15 Apr 2012 - 15:06) *
It's going to be a revocation for sure.

Unless I receive the NIP AFTER 14 days.

day of "offense" being day 0

correct?

oldstoat
No you committed the offence inside the two years and that is the date that matters. You may be eligible for a COFP. But if you refuse then you go to magistrates and at your speed its 4-6 points And a fine of between 75% and 125% of weekly income. You could at mags plead for a short ban but unlikley to be granted
mrh3369
Correct if you are the registered keeper and if you are able to provide credible evidence that is was served late, its very rare for this to happen though, more chance of not receiving one at all if it was a gatso with no camera in.
crandy100
It was a forward facing camera not a gatso.

I belive that the camera gets traffic in both directions, I was heading towards the camera.

Say It goes to court.
From day one of the court hearing, how long will it take to re-apply, book driving test etc and repass., surely it can be done in two weeks? - providing I pass my tests again.

oldstoat
To go with a late NIP defence to avoid prosecution alltogether you would need to provide credible evidence at the magistrates that you had not received the NIP in time. But remember lying is WAY MORE SERIOUS and can see you doing time with bubba as his cell bitch. You say you are waiting for the NIP did the camera flash as you went through it

What date did you activate the camera?
mrh3369
Describe the camera, did it flash twice? Provide a street view link to the camera.
crandy100
oldstoat
Did the camera have two circular lenses side by side? Or a square apeture at both top and bottom?

Did the camera have two circular lenses side by side? Or a square apeture at both top and bottom? If the former then truvelo. What date did you go through the camera?

crandy100
If I remember correctly, IT has one circle at the top, and one circle at the bottom.
mrh3369
When was this?
Chas820
providing I pass my tests again.

Explain, Do you have a car licence and have added a bike licence in the two years? This is for clarification as to what date you took the ORIGINAL test.
crandy100
I believe that it is a PEEK speed Camera, and they can get motorists that are traveling towards the camera, and motorists that are traveling AWAY from the camera.

Is that correct?

I also noticed I drove over lines in the road, that I believe contain the pressure sensitive things that record the speed and trigger the camera, Again, am I correct? I was traveling TOWARDS the camera.

I did not see the camera flash, but the sun was pretty low that day obstructing my vision.

QUOTE (Chas820 @ Sun, 15 Apr 2012 - 16:07) *

Explain, Do you have a car licence and have added a bike licence in the two years? This is for clarification as to what date you took the ORIGINAL test.

Hi, no I passed my driving test 1 year and 11 months and 2 weeks ago... that is the date I got my first driving license.

It is a driving license just for a car.

Thanks

The camera type :

I also do not remember seeing any speed camera signs, Is that because IT cant get on coming traffic? - But IF it cant get oncoming traffic, why are there lines on the road? :S
xreyuk
I had exactly the same issue, dragging it out will not help.

When I went to court I tried to plead with them to give me a short ban, instead of recovation. A short ban would have been better (I drive for work) at the time, but it would have meant insurance costs were sky high. If you get your license revoked, you receive your original test dates back, and if you're involved in an accident the DVLA will give your original test dates to the insurer. I told my insurer that I had my license revoked and they try to tell you that your license then re-starts and that's all they'll accept, it's bullshit.

I've also been advised that when I went to court, asking for a short ban is harder than it used to be, the magistrates I went to refused, despite telling me they would if they could as over 3 speeding fines I'd only been a combined 14mph over the limit, and I seemed genuine. They'd told me that they'd had instructions from the DVLA to stop giving short bans where a revocation would happen.
ict_guy
QUOTE (crandy100 @ Sun, 15 Apr 2012 - 16:22) *
I believe that it is a PEEK speed Camera, and they can get motorists that are traveling towards the camera, and motorists that are traveling AWAY from the camera.

Is that correct?

I also noticed I drove over lines in the road, that I believe contain the pressure sensitive things that record the speed and trigger the camera, Again, am I correct? I was traveling TOWARDS the camera.

I did not see the camera flash, but the sun was pretty low that day obstructing my vision.

QUOTE (Chas820 @ Sun, 15 Apr 2012 - 16:07) *

Hi, no I passed my driving test 1 year and 11 months and 2 weeks ago... that is the date I got my first driving license.

It is a driving license just for a car.

Thanks

The camera type :

I also do not remember seeing any speed camera signs, Is that because IT cant get on coming traffic? - But IF it cant get oncoming traffic, why are there lines on the road? :S

Truvelo camera - you can't really miss the single flash. It could be faulty, or have no film etc etc etc It's a 14 day wait I'm afraid.
crandy100
Peek :
http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/Peek.htm

Truvelo :

http://www.speedcameralocations.co.uk/imag...peed-camera.jpg

I think its a peek..

"Peek rely on radar technology, similar to a Gatso. They are also rear-facing due to the 'flash'."
in which case i have read this :

I have also read on another website that has the camera listed. they say it is a peek, but can get north OR southbound traffic.
( I do not want ot disclose to much information at this stage - Will wait to see if I get a NIP or not)

ict_guy
Possibly Peek - well spotted.

OP - were there three lines across the road or any calibration markings at all?
crandy100
The camera Is on a road I have never been on in my life before.

I cant really remember..
I was traveling towards the camera, I am 99% sure that there was no flash.

The lines that I crossed in the road. I think, where very short thing lines.
http://www.ailwyn.schoolzone.co.uk/frames/...ions/speed1.gif

Quick diagram

(I APOLOGISE ON THE QUALITY. ITS ONLY A QUICK ROUGH DRAWING)

as mention I am 99% sure IT was a peek camera.

BUT again, I can not be sure, That is just from looking at google street map - the latest picture off there was 2009.
IT may have been updated to the magnetic strips :S
Transit man
QUOTE (xreyuk @ Sun, 15 Apr 2012 - 16:41) *
They'd told me that they'd had instructions from the DVLA to stop giving short bans where a revocation would happen.

Off topic I know, but is it for the DVLA to make such decisions?
ict_guy
That'll be a rear facing camera then. The markings could be in both directions to allow the camera to be rotated. But, you should be OK if you were travelling towards it and you didn't see any flash at all. If it were a front facing camera, then there would be 3 lines quite close together in the road - with an induction loop before this which triggers the camera - the pupose for the 3 lines is to see if your front wheel is on them (ie the secondary measure - meaning you are speeding).

Personally, I wouldn't be fretting - you should be OK.

QUOTE (Transit man @ Sun, 15 Apr 2012 - 17:07) *
They'd told me that they'd had instructions from the DVLA to stop giving short bans where a revocation would happen.

Not a decision, just a direction for the courts to consider perhaps.
crandy100
We shall see I guess as there is not much more I can do with the situation.
crandy100
Updated:

after scrolling the internet for the past hour, I am almost certain that is a PEEK camera.

Camera peek cameras get cars that are heading towards them?
Logician
QUOTE (Transit man @ Sun, 15 Apr 2012 - 17:07) *

Nothing whatever to do with the DVLA and I do not believe they would have commented at all. The instruction is on page 186 of the Magistrates Courts sentencing Guidelines and reads:

New drivers

24. Drivers who incur six points or more during the two-year probationary period after passing the
driving test will have their licence revoked automatically by the Secretary of State; they will be able to
drive only after application for a provisional licence pending the passing of a further test.

25. An offender liable for an endorsement which will cause the licence to be revoked under the new
drivers’ provisions may ask the court to disqualify rather than impose points. This will avoid the requirement
to take a further test. Generally, this would be inappropriate since it would circumvent the clear intention
of Parliament.
xreyuk
I can only go off what the magistrates and clerk said.

They told me they'd had 'a request' (their exact words) from the DVLA to stop considering short bans. The reason? I can only imagine it costs the DVLA money with regards to new tests etc.

I was also informed that short bans were considered by the DVLA to be equal to 3 points, and that I would have had my license revoked anyway.

I could have appealed, but at the end of the day, I'd have still been without a license and would have certainly lost my job if I'd appealed and been without my license longer. The solicitor I had did everything he could but couldn't stop them making their decision.

I think the Clerk giving them the information was full of **** though. She was also a massive ******* bitch.
Kickaha
QUOTE (xreyuk @ Sun, 15 Apr 2012 - 20:26) *
I can only go off what the magistrates and clerk said.

They told me they'd had 'a request' (their exact words) from the DVLA to stop considering short bans. The reason? I can only imagine it costs the DVLA money with regards to new tests etc.

I was also informed that short bans were considered by the DVLA to be equal to 3 points, and that I would have had my license revoked anyway.
I could have appealed, but at the end of the day, I'd have still been without a license and would have certainly lost my job if I'd appealed and been without my license longer. The solicitor I had did everything he could but couldn't stop them making their decision.

I think the Clerk giving them the information was full of **** though. She was also a massive ******* bitch.

The bit I have emboldened is complete BS, yhe DVLA cannot just invent rules and regulations (however much they would like to).
crandy100
jobo
radar operated cameras are only approved for use from behind, ypou were told this above
crandy100
I am a paranoid wreck I know.

I do apologies, thank you to everyone for all the help and advice given to me!

jobo
its not the bother of telling you, its your going to have a break down if you dont stop worrying

il put it another way, if it wasnt a truvelo and you didnt see it flash stop worrying
crandy100
That is true!

however, quick update .

I am now much more calmer,

I typed the route into AA maps, And it only shows the speed camera further up the road (not the one in question)

however, when I reverse the journey (not the way I was going when I worried I had been caught) It shows the camera in question

Hopefully that means It isnt there to catch south bound traffic!

Also spoke to a chap who lives in kegworth and regularly does the journey and he says I shouldnt have a problem and no need to worry, there is also no signs pointing out the speed camera in the direction I was traveling.

jdh
Looks like you are in the clear then.

Here's an absurdity for you, if you were to get a S172 and fill it it and return it and get 3pts then you'd be at risk of licence revocation under the new drivers act. If however you didn't return it then you might be found guilty of the S172 offence and be fined & 6pts on your licence, however as that offence would be dated outside your particular 2 year window then you'd not be at risk of revocation.
An honest person would be looking at revocation & a retest. A devious person would keep their licence but realistically looking at higher insurance costs & would be balancing on 9pts for a while.
Jlc
QUOTE (crandy100 @ Sun, 15 Apr 2012 - 23:13) *
there is also no signs pointing out the speed camera in the direction I was traveling.

There's no requirement for such signs.
RDA
I assume you're talking about this camera on London Road, Kegworth.

It appears to be a Peek which operates in rear-facing mode only. There are only road markings to allow the camera to monitor northbound traffic and those
on the southbound side of the road would not be in the correct position to achieve rear-facing detection. PocketGPSWorld also confirms that this camera operates northbound.

Can you confirm that this is the correct location and your direction of travel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.