Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speed limit changed?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Johneds
Hi all. I've received a NIP for 52 in a 40 limit on the A4 Portway nr Bristol. Reason is the limit changed from 50 to 40 a couple of months ago. I used to live in the area so I've driven the road thousands of times but since I moved to the other end of town I only now drive it occasionally. I had no idea the limit had changed so wasn't looking for it. Is there any point offering this as mitigation? Any opinions would be welcome.
jobo
QUOTE (Johneds @ Sat, 14 Apr 2012 - 13:55) *
Hi all. I've received a NIP for 52 in a 40 limit on the A4 Portway nr Bristol. Reason is the limit changed from 50 to 40 a couple of months ago. I used to live in the area so I've driven the road thousands of times but since I moved to the other end of town I only now drive it occasionally. I had no idea the limit had changed so wasn't looking for it. Is there any point offering this as mitigation? Any opinions would be welcome.

it may be mitigation if you took it to court, but it wouldnt make a lot of differance, but anyway youl get the offer of a cofp or a speed couse unless you have 9 points now, so it will never come up

is the new limit properly signed
justforthepictures
QUOTE (Johneds @ Sat, 14 Apr 2012 - 13:55) *

From experience, a threshold change is usually followed by a bedding-in period of adjustment, commonly @ 5- 6months. This is for the very reason you state.

I am most surprised that only two months have elapsed before enforcement recommended. I would make some enquiries and establish exactly when the limit was lowered. If it was only 8 weeks ago, then it would indeed be worth writing to the camera unit and highlighting the point. You've nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Johneds
Was struggling to find exact dates. Just found a report that states work starting end of Nov 11 and due to last 9 weeks. So if it started and finished on time the new limit would have been from about 10 or 11 weeks ago.

Not sure about the signage? As I said I know the road so well there is a bit of autopilot involved here so I suspect the signs are OK and I was just not looking for them. Is there a requirement to have signs that warn of new limits ahead - or something? I'm sure there isn't anything like that there.
jobo
no but if they do put upa change of limit sign, there is a legal restiction on how long the sign can remain
ict_guy
QUOTE (jobo @ Sat, 14 Apr 2012 - 15:23) *
no but if they do put upa change of limit sign, there is a legal restiction on how long the sign can remain

6 months springs to mind!

I take it the new limit is well sign posted? Plus, no 50mph signs remain?
Johneds
QUOTE (jobo @ Sat, 14 Apr 2012 - 15:23) *

Yes it seems there is an official change of limit sign but it's not compulsory. And you're right; if used it must not be left up for more than 6 months. I will check but I don't think there is anything in place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.