Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caught doing 30 in a 20
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
DAZ75
I today was pulled over by a non-traffic officer (waving his speed gun) near a school in an area that has had its speed limit dropped to 20mph over a year ago...

Now i'm not saying i'm been wrongly done to, i do say that i dont use this road on a regular basis and due to my own ignorance thought it was still a 30mph limit which is what i was caught at..

What i am more wanting to know is what are the tolerances, some places i have seen 10% + 6mph or 10% + 9mph which is it...

Also the officer that gave me my ticket was prepared to send me on a Driver Awareness Course after i enquired as its my first time been done by the police in 16yrs of driving, BUT on checking things out he was told to tell me i was not eligable as i was caught in a 20mph area and a DAC is not offered, i want to know why as the officer could not answer this..

Just feels to me i would have been ok if this happened in a 30mph area as i would have been offered the course...

Like i said i dont have any objection to the points and fine, just want to know why one rule for a 30mph area and not a 20mph area...

Logician
The usual level at which action is taken is 10%+2mph, ie 24 mph in a 20mph limit. However there is nothing legally preventing a prosecution at any speed over the limit.

The figures you quote are the previous and current limits for offering a Speed Awareness Course generally used, but there is no right to such a course and if the police decide not to offer one, there is nothing you can do about it, it is at their discretion.
glasgow_bhoy
They take a much tougher stance in 20 areas. They reckon its 20 for a reason and as such they don't want to give so much as an inch.

Up here, they're around all schools, and they'll not hesitate in doing you for 27mph.
Aretnap
Speed awareness courses are not generally offered in 20 limits. According to this http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Send-...se-17022012.htm ACPO's reasoning is that if you speed in a 20 zone you're clearly such an evil person that you are beyond help and hanging you by your balls is the only language you'll understand (paraphrasing slightly).

ACPO's reasoning seems more applicable to 20 zones (lots of speed humps/traffic calming and supposed to be self-enforcing) than to 20 limits (no street furniture beyond signs) - but for some reason it gets applied to both.
captain swoop
You could try checking the TRO is valid and check the Terminal Signs are correct as you say you didn't know it was a 20 zone they may be missing?
Jlc
QUOTE (DAZ75 @ Tue, 6 Mar 2012 - 22:59) *
What i am more wanting to know is what are the tolerances, some places i have seen 10% + 6mph or 10% + 9mph which is it...
There are various tolerances often quoted. The usual one is the point at where you are actually deemed to be speeding for action to be taken (of course 1mph over the limit is technically speeding). This is often 10%+2mph, so 35 in a 30 for example.

Also the officer that gave me my ticket was prepared to send me on a Driver Awareness Course after i enquired as its my first time been done by the police in 16yrs of driving, BUT on checking things out he was told to tell me i was not eligable as i was caught in a 20mph area and a DAC is not offered, i want to know why as the officer could not answer this..
...and the other tolerance is for safety/awareness courses. This varies a bit more but is often up to 10%+9.

Just feels to me i would have been ok if this happened in a 30mph area as i would have been offered the course...
There's no obligation to offer the course - it's completely discretionary.

Like i said i dont have any objection to the points and fine, just want to know why one rule for a 30mph area and not a 20mph area...
Indeed, 20mph limits are (sometimes arguably) preserved for those areas of higher risk of pedestrians, e.g. schools/estates. Therefore, endorsement seems to be preferable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.