Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: police guidelines
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
jack10101
do the police have guidelines or rules stating how far back from a junction they should be parked up when just sitting there to observe traffic? in my case the polie were just waiting in a side road whilst i was on the main road, i wont go into the specifics because its not relevant.
i just want to know if they are told that it should be 10m or 20m back from the junction.

i must stress that the police in question were not on high alert or waiting to do a massive raid - i just mean normal police, just hanging about watching traffic.

am i right in thinking that the highway code states that you should not park closer than 10m from a juction or traffic lights?

thanks in advance for your help.
outlook
Highway code states you can't park on yellow lines but you can bet the police do it.

IIRC this rule of the HC is a "do not" rather than a "must not", i.e. it's a guideline rather than law. So even if you or I did it, it wouldn't be in itself illegal (of course the impact it might have could constitute a dangerous parking offence)

Indeed, there's plenty of marked parking spaces around here that are well within 10 metres of junctions.

As an aside, how do you know they were not on high alert? They could well have been waiting for/tipped off about something very specific
jack10101
because they wouldnt have stopped me if they were on some special mission.
Logician
If they stopped you because you were committing some offence, whether or not they were parked according to guidelines or indeed totally illegally will not help you at all.
jack10101
i wasnt looking to build my case around that. its to do with the distance nothing more, nothing less.
roadrunner 163
QUOTE (jack10101 @ Thu, 1 Mar 2012 - 23:05) *
do the police have guidelines or rules stating how far back from a junction they should be parked up when just sitting there to observe traffic? in my case the polie were just waiting in a side road whilst i was on the main road, i wont go into the specifics because its not relevant.
i just want to know if they are told that it should be 10m or 20m back from the junction.

i must stress that the police in question were not on high alert or waiting to do a massive raid - i just mean normal police, just hanging about watching traffic.

am i right in thinking that the highway code states that you should not park closer than 10m from a juction or traffic lights?

thanks in advance for your help.

No. Although their commanding officers would really prefer them to stop / park somewhere it wont upset someone with a camera phone but even then No.
sgtdixie
QUOTE (jack10101 @ Fri, 2 Mar 2012 - 01:27) *
i wasnt looking to build my case around that. its to do with the distance nothing more, nothing less.

Perhaps if you told us what happened we can shed some light on this.

BTW I spent many hours on obs re various incidents and it never stopped me dealing with other offences I saw.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.