Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distance a mobile camera can be from a speed limit change?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
LukeC
I was caught by a mobile unit about 60 yards after the speed limit changes from 50 miles per hour to 30, another 140 yards down the road thier is a forward facing Speed Camera.

As such by 100 yards in front of this camera I am always doing 30mph.

I was caught at 45mph slowing down just after said Speed Limit Change.

Is this legal?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a list of the legal requirments for mobile unit placing?

Also I had no idea that a unit was anywhere in the area and a friend of mine caught at the same location (43mph) said he did not see the unit either and assumed he was actually caught 250 yards further down the road after the speed camera.

Any help is much appreciated

Luke Collins
shelby
Luke.
You should be doing the speed limit at the point of the terminal sign. Slowing down 100yds into it won't wash with the 3 mg's. Going out of town is a different matter.
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (shelby)
Going out of town is a different matter.

Hmm. Possibly, possibly not.
Luke, the point being, as Shelby points out, is that the limit applies from terminal sign to terminal sign.
Clear Skies
QUOTE (jeffreyarcher)
QUOTE (shelby)
Going out of town is a different matter.

Hmm. Possibly, possibly not.

certainly not on the a127 leaving southend.. very sneaky, but then we dont expect much else do we ?

rgds
Bill
shelby
No doubt I will get abused for this by the nappy changers, but.

When quoting distance use meters not feet.

The 'rulers' (Goverment/Partnerships/traffic mgrs/Skips) all use metric.

Even though we all like ft n inches...

Meters.
Insider

However the simple fact is Shelby is that it's really not difficult to convert to any unit required...

And as I've posted before the measure used on UK roads is still Imperial... Metric signs are actually illegal  :wink:
shelby
QUOTE (shelby)
Luke.
You should be doing the speed limit at the point of the terminal sign. Slowing down 100yds into it won't wash with the 3 mg's. Going out of town is a different matter.

I ask anyone who is going out of town and within 50mtrs of a terminal sign to argue the case.......result,,,,win.

No camera Op would dare get you within 100mtrs of a sign, out of town. there are E/mailed guidelines on this.
shelby
QUOTE (Insider)

However the simple fact is Shelby is that it's really not difficult to convert to any unit required...

And as I've posted before the measure used on UK roads is still Imperial... Metric signs are actually illegal  icon_wink.gif

It may be illegal in court but the talk used inside is always in meters.

Your Honor.

icon_wink.gif
The Rookie
The only point is that if the van is close to the terminal sign and facing 'out' of the limit, did they wait until you were inside the limit before they 'did' you, or was it the usual 400m away? (350m outside the limit!)

Simon
avonne
QUOTE (shelby)
I ask anyone who is going out of town and within 50mtrs of a terminal sign to argue the case.......result,,,,win.

No camera Op would dare get you within 100mtrs of a sign, out of town. there are E/mailed guidelines on this.

Check out my 37 in a 30 in Judicial Proccess, they would.
Clear Skies
QUOTE (avonne)
QUOTE (shelby)

Check out my 37 in a 30 in Judicial Proccess, they would.

hi,  again they do so with a fixed cam  in southend.. leaving southend on  the a127, well it seems like well  within 100 yards..

should I measure it ????

rgds
bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.