Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slip road speeding?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
jonnylager
Hi

i have just received a leter from the TVP regarding a speeding offence on the A34 northbound, on this day the only time i was on the A34 northbound was coming off the slip road at Botley to join the A34. I was doing 59mph in a 50 but was matching the speed of the carraigeway and concentrating on safely joining. I can recall the van being on a bridge over the carraigeway as i saw it when i came off the carraigeway.

the van would have captured the back of my car going away from it, at the end of the slip road the speed changes to national speed limit.

is there anything i can do about it or just live with the fine and 3 points, i have been driving for 18 years on a clean record and have never broken the limit untill this time.
mrh3369
Reply to the NIP and you will probably be offered a speed awareness course if you are eligible and thats no points but costs a bit more and will take up half a day.
Jlc
QUOTE (jonnylager @ Fri, 3 Feb 2012 - 09:09) *
I was doing 59mph in a 50 but was matching the speed of the carraigeway and concentrating on safely joining.

Whilst annoying and probably true it doesn't form a defence.

It's probably still worth asking for photo's to identify the driver just to confirm it's a clean ping etc. Remember not to mention 'evidence' and reply to the s172 form.

have never broken the limit untill this time.

Never, ever? I did 31 in 30 once. wink.gif

Logician
It is difficult to follow your description of your movements, but that is probably not important. If you accept that you were doing the speed alleged there is probably little that can usefully be done, in any event you must identify yourself as the driver. The likely outcome is an offer of a course, provided you have not done one in the last three years.
odom
This is a favoured place for the scamera vans unfortunately due to the stupidly low limit (set due to houses which you've already passed by this point), and the fact the bridges are very wide so they can park on the far side and catch people once past without the tell-tale brake lights you get around the rest of the ring road.

The good news is if you want to keep your licence it's a 99% certainty you will be offered a speed awareness course - they do them in the evenings, about £95 but no points. Very tedious, you will be told you were feet away from running over all the pedestrians you see walking down the A34, so good luck biting your tongue!
The Rookie
I was doing 59mph in a 50 but was matching the speed of the carraigeway and concentrating on safely joining.

have never broken the limit untill this time.

Hmm, unless you weren't concentrating on your speed I guess......

Simon
timb
Got busted doing 57mph in my wife's Fiasco by a copper in a Transit on 2nd Feb just past the slip road. Daylight, dry road, and mid morning so not too much traffic etc. The 50mph zone has recently been extended as revenues must be falling. The road has a slight left hand bend so it's easy for the Nick Nicks to park inconspicuously in the parking bay just before the national speed limit sign. (Keep your eyes peeled people - I saw them there twice last week). The irritant is that I was in the inside lane running at the same speed as the lorry a little way in front of me. Anyone know why the speed set for an NIP to be issued is 57mph in a 50mph zone? I always thought the rule of thumb was +10% + 2mph as a margin for error and I was pretty sure I cruised by at 53 / 54. Apparently not.

Sparxy
QUOTE (timb @ Tue, 7 Feb 2012 - 00:00) *
Got busted doing 57mph in my wife's Fiasco by a copper in a Transit on 2nd Feb just past the slip road. Daylight, dry road, and mid morning so not too much traffic etc. The 50mph zone has recently been extended as revenues must be falling. The road has a slight left hand bend so it's easy for the Nick Nicks to park inconspicuously in the parking bay just before the national speed limit sign. (Keep your eyes peeled people - I saw them there twice last week). The irritant is that I was in the inside lane running at the same speed as the lorry a little way in front of me. Anyone know why the speed set for an NIP to be issued is 57mph in a 50mph zone? I always thought the rule of thumb was +10% + 2mph as a margin for error and I was pretty sure I cruised by at 53 / 54. Apparently not.

50mph + 10% + 2mph = 57mph - guideline and not set in law. This means you can be done FROM 57mph, not 58mph as some people believe.
Jlc
The 50mph zone has recently been extended
Start a new thread if you want to discuss yours - there might be some mileage (pardon the pun) in investigating the TRO on this.
HCRX
Just been busted for doing 75 at this same location, the camera van was on the second bridge as you round the bend southbound, just after the 70 mph limit changes to 50 mph. I did not realise to adjust my speed until I saw the van so it was a fair - unfair bust.
The 2011 ACPO guidelines tell you if it's a Fixed Penalty - up to 75 in a 50 (I am thankful I was not doing 1 mph more) or a summons. They also state under 57 mph = no prosecution unless deemed appropriate and up to 61 they will automatically offer speed awareness course if you have not attended one in the last 3 years.

If your speed was 59 i.e. you think it was, you may be under the 57 threshold, my advice, call the fixed penalty help line, give them your reg and ask if you have a NIP on the way. If you have had the NIP and it states 59, call the help line and ask for the course, ACPO specify up to 61...
Jlc
QUOTE (HCRX @ Tue, 7 Feb 2012 - 19:19) *
If your speed was 59 i.e. you think it was, you may be under the 57 threshold, my advice, call the fixed penalty help line, give them your reg and ask if you have a NIP on the way. If you have had the NIP and it states 59, call the help line and ask for the course, ACPO specify up to 61...

Er, the NIP has already arrived, thus the OP's post... The threshold is guidance only, legally 51 is 'speeding' - quite a few people have been caught at 55 for example...
odom
The road has a slight left hand bend so it's easy for the Nick Nicks to park inconspicuously in the parking bay just before the national speed limit sign. (Keep your eyes peeled people - I saw them there twice last week).

Got to be very careful - they have been using lots of new positions since the new year, mostly either on bridges or offside and mostly in locations where the limit is ridiculously low - the new A34 50mph limit being a case in point. I assume this was their new year's resolution - "Act like a bigger bunch of b******s than last year".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.