Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DVLA
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
jax8008
Hi

I originally SORN'd my car in april 2010 and scrapped the car June 2010. I received a letter dated 15 April 2011 stating that the car was not SORN'd (A LAST CHANCE LETTER)so I sent through details of the scrapping (which clearly is dated 26.6.10) and a letter to say that V5C had been sent at the time of scrapping and then received acknowledgement letter dated 12 July 2011, stating

"This letter confirms that we have updated our records for this vehicle and you are no longer the registered keeper of:
Vehicle Registration Number:
Make and model: Peugeot 306
You may want to keep this letter for your records.
Further information:

if you receive a 'Renewal reminder for a tax disc or Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)' (V11 or V85/1) for this vehicle, please ignore it. The V11 and V85/1 are printed up to six weeks before the tax disc or SORN runs out and we may have already printed yours before we updated our records.
if you get any penalty notices for this vehicle, you should contact the office that sent you the notice
if you applied for a refund of vehicle tax, we will send this to you separately.

I have since received numerous letters from Inter Credit International requesting for £80 that they were collecting on behalf of DVLA. I sent them the scrapping letter and letter that I had sent to the DVLA in April 2011.

I have now received a letter from a solicitor stating that they will pursue through County Court.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can fight this or should I just pay up?

I was about to cough up thinking that its my fault for not chasing it up and especially as I've had what appears to be a solicitor chasing me for the money with the threat of court action. Then, I decided to conduct a bit of research and here I am.

Thanks

Jackie
rosysparkle
What is the £80 for?
jax8008
Hi RosySparkle

The fine is for 'failing to SORN the vehicle' - one that no longer existed as it had been scrapped!!

Jackie
jobo
yes this is the dvla all over

you have two options, if you want them to stop mithering pay them

or write to the collectors, saying you dispute it , because,,,, and please stop harassesing you or take it to court
The Rookie
Does it give a date for the allaged offence?
jimster
deleted

Thanks Rookie

The Rookie
Read the years you quoted.......then delete post!
jax8008
Hello everyone

After careful thinking and a bit of research on here and MSE website I've decided to fight!! Yesterday I received another letter from a company called 'Trust Recoveries' which is a subsidiary of Inter-Credit International so I suppose that pushed me further into standing up and fighting, so today I have posted out 3 letters, one to DVLA, one to the solicitor who wrote last week and one to Trust Recoveries with the following details and would like some feedback please.

Further to your letter dated 30 January 2012 I was no longer the registered keeper of the above vehicle on 01/04/2011. The vehicle was sold to a Scrap Metal Merchant on 26.06.10 and ownership passed to them on that date. At which point the relevant section of the V5 registration document was filled out and posted as required by the Road Vehicles (Registration & Licensing) Regulations 2002.

I have enclosed further information regarding this and other legal points I have followed with this letter for your reference.

You can therefore consider the legal obligation to inform the DVLA of a change of registered keeper fulfilled. As a result of your ‘claim’ which I am of course in dispute of then I do not see that it is legal for you to be ‘hounding’ me for such monies.

You will of course be aware that there is no legal obligation on me to prove that the DVLA have received this document and I expect no further correspondence from yourselves on this matter.

Referencing The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 & Interpretations Act

DVLA one:
I am making contact with regards to continued harassment by a Debt Collecting Agency, Inter-Credit International demanding immediate payment claiming that I owe £80. This Debt Collecting Agency have been inundating me with letters. With regards to this claim which I dispute due to the following:

The car in question was made SORN in April 2010 and then scrapped in June 2010, when I subsequently returned the V5C to DVLA by First Class post as required. When I received a letter dated 15 April 2011 stating that the car was not SORN (A LAST CHANCE LETTER) I sent a further letter to DVLA explaining that the car had in fact been scrapped on 26 June 2010. I then received an acknowledgement letter dated 12 July 2011 confirming that records were updated and I was no longer the registered keeper of the vehicle. I then received another letter from DVLA dated 23 August 2011 of Final Notification.

I have no proof of posting the V5 document because I have never done so before. I also believe that I should not have to prove that I posted the V5 document and if this matter does indeed go to court it should be down to the DVLA to prove that I did not. I also enclose some legal points which I have followed.

Any comments?

Thanks Jackie
Gan
I'd remove the last paragraph that begins with "I have no proof..." from the DVLA letter

Replace it by :

I deny any debt and will under no circumstances make any payment in the absence of a court judgement. Please issue immediate proceedings in order that the matter can be settled. I will not contact you again.

For the other letters add :

I completely deny the existence of any debt. Do not contact me again about this matter. I will not respond and will report any further demands as harassment.
jax8008
QUOTE (Gan @ Thu, 2 Feb 2012 - 11:48) *
I'd remove the last paragraph that begins with "I have no proof..." from the DVLA letter

Replace it by :

I deny any debt and will under no circumstances make any payment in the absence of a court judgement. Please issue immediate proceedings in order that the matter can be settled. I will not contact you again.

For the other letters add :

I completely deny the existence of any debt. Do not contact me again about this matter. I will not respond and will report any further demands as harassment.

Ooooh thanks Gan

I'm glad I checked back before taking the letters to the post office. I shall amend with your suggestions.

Thanks

Jackie
rmpinky
Jackie, any luck with this? As I recently sent a letter same causes just without the last chances, only sending a letter last month due to afghan and training beforehand (which I explained in the letter, polite as can be of course)

Just wondering what the proceedings were after the court letters and what not?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.