Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP Redfusion ASVS
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
kinga25
Hello, Im very new to this website. I got a NIP for speeding in a 50Mph zone I was doing 58 - well that's what they say. I don't think I was as I drive with a baby on board and Im a carefull driver (never had any points or fines).
The offence location was A13 Newham Way slip to A406 NCR E/B E6. I read somewhere that the incar speedometers can be up to 10% unaccurate and therefore (in my case driving 55mph) wouldnt be treated as an offence. In that case I was only 3mph over? How accurate are these systems? Can I challenge it???
Also, if challenge not possible - can I ask them for not giving me any points (but going on some kind of course insted?).
Anyone experienced this before & can help? Thank you,
Grant_W
@55 you'd be 5mph over.
Jlc
QUOTE (kinga25 @ Thu, 26 Jan 2012 - 20:58) *
Hello, Im very new to this website. I got a NIP for speeding in a 50Mph zone I was doing 58 - well that's what they say. I don't think I was as I drive with a baby on board and Im a carefull driver (never had any points or fines).
The offence location was A13 Newham Way slip to A406 NCR E/B E6. I read somewhere that the incar speedometers can be up to 10% unaccurate and therefore (in my case driving 55mph) wouldnt be treated as an offence. In that case I was only 3mph over? How accurate are these systems? Can I challenge it???
Also, if challenge not possible - can I ask them for not giving me any points (but going on some kind of course insted?).
Anyone experienced this before & can help? Thank you,

Your speedo never under-reads. (And can be a maximum of 10% over) Therefore, it's in your benefit - getting caught at 58 means your speedo was probably reading just over 60. There's no defence here.

However, for 58 in a 50 you're almost certain to be offered a course and avoid the points.

Technically you are speeding at 51 but there is a tolerance/guidance allowed so you're unlikely to get into trouble until doing somewhere around 55-56.
southpaw82
QUOTE (kinga25 @ Thu, 26 Jan 2012 - 20:58) *

You read (or understood) wrong - a speedometer may over-read by up to 10% (generally) but may not under-read. In any case, it would not be a defence to a charge of speeding, as there is no requirement to know that you were speeding. So, 58mph is 8mph in excess of a 50mph limit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.