Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Info in Summons
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
DaveBhoy
Hi,

It is now four months since my car was nipped (in England (over 200 miles away) - 49mph in a 30 limit(!)). Both my colleague and I were driving that day but we had no idea who was driving at the particular time (mobile van - no idea we had been snapped until the NIP arrived 9 days later).

I asked the "partnership" for more specific details where the offence took place (including the direction of travel) but they could not provide them as "they are not in our computer records". The photo of the back of the car didn't help either.

We're pretty sure we can tell who was driving if we can determine the direction of travel and now I have received the summons (for S172, they seem to have dropped the speeding case) the nice officer operating the dodgyscope has finally provided it in his witness statement.

Now, it turns out that it was my colleague who was actually driving so what should my next step be? It's far too late to fill in the NIP, surely? As the case has been passed to the CPS I don't suppose the partnership will be interested.

I have to send in the forms that came with the summons and plead not guilty, of course, but what should I do with the information that I now know for certain it wasn't me who was driving?

Will they "re-open" the speeding case?

Is there a good chance that if they do "re-open" it the case against my colleague will time out? I don't want to drop him in it and reckon that once they sort everything out, issue another NIP etc etc it stands a good chance of going over six months (less than two months to go).

What's my next step guys?

Cheers

DaveBhoy
DaveBhoy
Hi again

Well, after reading all the replies(!) I sent back my not guilty plea and indicated that thanks to the new information I could now identify the driver.

The only thing that they have sent back is a slip saying that a date has been set for a Pre-Trial Review and I can attend if I want.

Bearing in mind that it's more than a 400 mile round trip, is it worth attending? The slip gives me the option of not attending and pleading not guilty again and as it's just a pre-trial review and not a trial, they can't find me guilty in my absence. Or can they?

I want to avoid two trips if at all possible and don't want to turn up just to be given a date for trial and be sent on my way again.

Thoughts?

Dave
andy_foster
Unless you have a particular reason for attending a PTR (e.g. trying to get disclosure of a full session video), then the best result would be a day of your life and a 400 mile round trip wasted.
You can't be convicted at a PTR.
DaveBhoy
Cheers Andy, that's what I thought. Of course, they arranged the PTR for one of the dates I had said I couldn't have attended so I would have had to ask for a further adjournment!

I'll send off the form saying I'm not going to attend and await the real trial date.

I'm hoping they might drop the case before it goes to trial - if they had provided the information I initially requested I could have identified the driver months ago.

Dave
Lance
DaveBhoy,
As I understand it, you were the last person to receive an NIP/S172 notice, and you are now able to name your colleague?

If so you should name him straight away.

Although it is not within the 28 days, that is not your fault and S172(7) provides:
A requirement under subsection (2) may be made by written notice served by post; and where it is so made—

(a) it shall have effect as a requirement to give the information within the period of 28 days beginning with the day on which the notice is served, and

(B) the person on whom the notice is served shall not be guilty of an offence under this section if he shows either that he gave the information as soon as reasonably practicable after the end of that period or that it has not been reasonably practicable for him to give it.
Do you see? Provided you name the driver now that the information is in your possession, i.e. as soon as reasonably practicable, you are not guilty of an offence, but a strict interpretation of the law would be that are now committing an offence, if you do not now write to the camera partnership with the info.

I would write immediately to the camera partnership, ideally enclosing a copy of the S172 form, if you have one, fully completed with your colleague's details. Basically write:
Date
Alleged offence reference: XXX

Dear Sir/Madam,
In my letter of XXX I made it clear that I was unable to identify the driver without knowing the direction of travel of the vehicle. You replied on XXX saying that you were unable to provide this information.

I have now been summoned for failing to identify the driver, and an enclosed statement indicated the direction of travel.
Then if you've got a copy of the form:
Consequently, I am now able to name the driver on the attached form.
Or if you haven't:
Consequently, I am now able to name the driver as:
Name
Address
DOB
Licence number
...which are the usual details requested.
Yours faithfully,

DaveBhoy
This will of course drop your colleague in it, but by the time he gets his own form and names himself it will be too late for them to summons him for speeding. He may receive a COFP which he should ignore.

Then I would also write to the CPS
Date
Summons ref: YYY

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have been summoned for failing to name the driver for an alleged offence on [date].

As there were two of us driving that day, and the alleged offence occurred  some distance away, I wrote to the camera partnership saying that I needed more information, especially the direction of travel. The partnership replied on XXX with the attached letter saying that they were unable to provide this.

Subsequently I was summoned for failing to name the driver, and I was surprised to see that the direction of travel was then given. Consequently I have written to the camera partnership naming the driver in a letter (copy attached).

I appreciate that the information was given outside the 28 day period, but this was because it was not practicable for me to give it until the requested direction of travel detail was provided to me. I therefore believe I have a valid defence to the S172 charge. As this matter is to be heard at a considerable distance from where I live and I will incur significant costs to attend, I would be grateful if you could reconsider this case.

Yours faithfully,

DaveBhoy
There may also be a case for copying this letter, or writing a similar one, to the Clerk of the Court, so that it can be considered in your PTR. I see no harm in being straightforward when you have a strong case and the potential inconvenience of a trial is considerable.

What does anyone else think?
DaveBhoy
Thanks for this Lance.

You're right, the case against my mate will time out so there's nothing to lose by naming him now. When I sent my not guilty plea (three weeks ago) I told them I can now identify the driver and asked how I should go about it bearing in mind I had already filled in the NIP saying I couldn't. They didn't reply so I guess I can still say I'm identifying the driver as soon as practicable as I was waiting for advice from the court.

The sample letters are great, much appreciated.

If nobody can think of any reason why Lance's advice isn't spot on, I'll send everything off tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave
anton
One worry, what if they don't offer a conditional offer of fixed penalty? and jump streight to summons? They dont have to do they... ? Would it not be prudent to wait till 5 months are up.

I am not sure on this thought and other opinions are welcomed.
Anton
DaveBhoy
5 months are up. I sent my original post last month but didn't get many replies (none, in fact).

If I now name my mate, he definitely has to get a S172 form to fill in himself admitting to it, doesn't he? Am I right in thinking that they have to give him 28 days to return it?

They can't proceeed directly to COFP/summons, can they?

It just happens that there is now just 28 days until the speeding offence times out so I reckon he's OK.

Can anybody confirm?

Dave
Lance
QUOTE (DaveBhoy)
If I now name my mate, he definitely has to get a S172 form to fill in himself admitting to it, doesn't he? Am I right in thinking that they have to give him 28 days to return it?
Yes, your form cannot be used in court against him.

QUOTE (DaveBhoy)
They can't proceeed directly to COFP/summons, can they?
Only if they had other evidence identifying him already, which is most unlikely.

QUOTE (DaveBhoy)
It just happens that there is now just 28 days until the speeding offence times out so I reckon he's OK.

Can anybody confirm?

Dave
Yes you're right, but I'd stongly advise you to forget considerations for him at the moment. If you delay to 'save' him, then you will not have a defence under S172(7), and you may get a S172 conviction. Even if his speeding wouldn't time out, we have other ideas to fight that. Your mate should just fill in the S172 naming himself and send it off as late as possible and ignore all further correspondence.

If you write the letters, then if might not be a bad idea to refer to your letter to the court in which you said that you could now name the driver and wanted advice on what you should do. Say that in the absence of a reply to that letter, you have now written to the partnership naming the driver. That accounts for any additional delay between your ability to name the driver and naming him.

I believe that you have acted reasonably throughout and ought not to be convicted of anything. It is a poor reflection on the the CPS and camera partnership that they are happy for a prosecution against you to go ahead while not following up your letters that could have enabled them to go after the person who actually commissioned the offence. Pathetic.
DaveBhoy
Thanks again Lance.

I've got the letters produced and they're going off to the various parties this afternoon.

I'll keep you all updated with the responses.

Dave
nigeldunne64
Dave, My brother in law was in a very similar position. basically he was so drunk one night he got carried to his car and driven home and straight into the dog-house!!
10 days later he got a NIP for a speeding offence but neither of the two potential drivers would confess or blame the other. he explained all this to the scammers but got summonsed. THEN his missus finally admitted it was her sister driving - he did a letter very similar to Lance's recommendation but including the relevant passage from S172 and they dropped his case and didn't even bother to write to the driver.
Should work the same for you - just ensure you send them copies of your requests for info to help ID the driver so they don't think you are pulling a fast one.
Lance
Thanks Nige. No matter how confident I am that I'm suggesting the right course of action, it is always good to have this backed up by somebody else, especially if they can provide an example of how it worked in practice.
DW190
QUOTE (Lance)
Thanks Nige. No matter how confident I am that I'm suggesting the right course of action, it is always good to have this backed up by somebody else, especially if they can provide an example of how it worked in practice.

Isn't it nice when a plan comes together. icon_idea.gif
DaveBhoy
"Isn't it nice when a plan comes together."

Well, I certainly hope it does!

This has been hanging over me for months and I want it over and done with. If I have to go to court so be it - I know I have a strong case. Although I've never stepped foot in a court room in my life I'm determined to see it through.

Anyway - letters are away and I await with bated breath...

Dave
DW190
Although I've never stepped foot in a court room in my life I'm determined to see it through.

When you have some free time you should take a look at the cases going on in your local magistrates courts.  The staff are very helpful and will tell you the days that motoring offences are heard.  You then just sit at the back and listen to the cases.
anton
This is realy worth doing. You will see how foolish and nieve some people are. you will also see the supermarket checkout in action beeep,beep guilty, next.

To be fair to the courts lots of them leave the court with no other option!

You need a tactic to slow thier pace. You will also learn who is going to speek next and thier roll.
DaveBhoy
OK, a confession first.  :oops:

I was so paranoid about the authorities discovering my identity and using whatever I posted against me, I “massaged” some details. The basic facts are the true but the incident occurred in north Wales (the heart of Brunstromia), not England, and the reason I was so worried about protecting my “mate” was because I’ve been married to her for five years (yes, she really is my “mate”)! Anyway, sorry for being misleading but, as I say, the basic facts are true – we could not tell who was driving without the direction of travel.

After I sent off my letters in August the only reply I got was from the court giving the date for trial. Not encouraging! Nothing from the scamera people (good) and nothing from the CPS (bad).

After a month I sent a follow up letter by post and fax to the CPS pointing out that I did not wish to have to claim 420 miles petrol costs from public funds after I was found Not Guilty and, finally, a letter arrived today containing the magic sentence:

“The decision to discontinue these charges has been taken because there is not enough evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction.”

Ya beauty!! Another PePiPoo Success Story!!  :D

To say I’m relieved is an understatement. It seems like it has constantly been at least at the back of my mind since March and finally it’s over. Well, not quite. I will be claiming costs (several special delivery letters and much photocopying). Am I right in thinking that I can’t claim for time wasted over this whole debacle (a good few hours, I can tell you)?

Anyway, thanks to everyone who contributes to this site, especially Lance whose advice worked a treat.

Cheers

Dave
mudmover
Well done, notices of discontinuance seem to be their latest escape route. I wonder if we are taking up too much of their time laugh.gif See you soon in the bulging success stories gallery.

QUOTE (davebhoy)
Am I right in thinking that I can’t claim for time wasted over this whole debacle (a good few hours, I can tell you)?

Not exactly, although it takes some doing, it has been done, have a look at this thread for inspiration and advice:

[forum link]
anton
hiding.gif
I do not blame you about being paranoid. because some of them are out to get you.

congratulations!
Lance
Excellent! laugh.gif Very glad to hear the news. Great idea to change the story while keeping all the important elements.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.