Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am a victim of useless policing.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
bigstoop
My car was damaged twice in one night.

Noticed it the next afternoon on the way to work. My partner reported the damage straight away. Downloaded my Roadhawk at 0300 the next morning, called police who refused to attend. Confronted neighbour who was outside smoking dope as per usual. He denied all knowledge, point blank! Called police again, they refused to come out and stated they had 24 hours to deal with it. 26ish hours later still no sign of them! Called them back and they started to screen my calls. Left the phone ringing for an hour! Police arrived at the door.

Outcome, this was not a crime, the dope smoking idiot apparently attempted to report it at an unmanned police station and couldn't - bull ****!

View the video by clicking here!
odom
I don't know what the police said to them but to be fair, the evidence from that video is far from conclusive. If you think there is a case you could pursue the owner of the van through small claims court, where the burden of proof is lower.
bigstoop
Already done! Point is, why cant the police round here do anything right? Conclusive? What are you on about, there is a date and time on the roadhawk system (not on the video) the van is positively id'd and the car is wrecked how much more do you want?
sgtdixie
I suggest a quick look at the Road Traffic Act will tell you that you have to actually go to a Police Station to report a collision. The Police do not have to come to you.
odom
QUOTE (bigstoop @ Mon, 9 Jan 2012 - 11:43) *
Conclusive? What are you on about, there is a date and time on the roadhawk system (not on the video) the van is positively id'd and the car is wrecked how much more do you want?

The image is blurry and the only time you see the car move is the second time, when you only see the back of the van - of which there must be hundreds of thousands.

Anyway, from what you say the other person has admitted they hit your car (tried to report at police station), and the police have evidently accepted that. What crime has been committed?
Mayhem007
Perhaps you should photograph the van, if its not too late.

There must be traces of blue paint on it, if they haven't already Tee cutted it.
NeverMind
QUOTE (bigstoop @ Mon, 9 Jan 2012 - 11:23) *
the dope smoking idiot apparently attempted to report it at an unmanned police station and couldn't

Not entirely clear from the rant, but I think you're saying the van belongs to the neighbour, and he's now admitted causing the damage. So what's the problem exactly? This is now just an insurance claim, surely?
bigstoop
My god, are you people as thick as the local rozzers (well one of you appears to be one!), cant you read? Watch the video and READ the comments FFS! The Roadhawk system is evidential quality, but I cannot put it on a website!

I did go to the local police station the next afternoon after noticing the damage, there response, go to Lothian and Borders?!?! It happened in Central Scotland's area!
I did take a picture of the van, it is included in the video!
The van is in my street, there is only allocated parking, the picture clearly shows no reg plate in the video and the HQ still, this is proof enough, there is an 8 foot height restriction, it had to pass to get back out, it is the only van that parks across from me and he used to be my next door neighbour.
Failing to stop after an accident and failing to report it within 24 hours were both absolute offences last time I checked, neither was done!
Why should I have to do the work of the rozzers for them!
The van is a mobile valeter's it was T-cutted before I got to it.

Just forget it! I hope when something like this happens to you you don't have a roadhawk and you get hung up on by the useless call centre!

Can't see the tree's for the grass in this case I think!
glasgow_bhoy
I can understand your anger if your neighbour initially denied the incident.
You can't be expecting the police to drop their speed guns and come running to help you though- thats just a crazy idea.

My experiences with Central Scotland though have actually been much, much more positive than with Strathclyde- the officers just seem much more friendly. Just a shame about their exessive use of Scamarati on certain roads.
Logician
Clearly the police have talked to the van driver who has told them he tried to report the accident. Whether or not they prosecute him is their discretion and very little to do with you. As you have your evidence from your Roadhawk and the van driver has admitted he hit your car you should be able to claim against his insurance. Hundreds of accidents like this happen every day, why are you getting so steamed up about it?
bigstoop
Actually, it's their job to report it to the fiscal and for the fiscal to decide if a prosecution is in order.

QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Mon, 9 Jan 2012 - 12:31) *
You can't be expecting the police to drop their speed guns and come running to help you though- thats just a crazy idea.

Excellent, lol.
Aretnap
Not sure if it's the same in Scotland, but down here the decision over whether to prosecute for minor motoring offences is made by the police, not the CPS.

If you search the forums for "failure to stop" you'll see that it's quite common for the police not to prosecute for failure to stop/report over a minor accident so long as insurance details are exchanged reasonably promptly.

If your aim here is to ensure that you get fully compensated for the damage then I'm sure you'll find plenty of help. If it's to ensure that another driver gets the maximum possible punishment over an accident then I don't think you'll get as much help - it's not really what you do.
NeverMind
QUOTE (bigstoop @ Mon, 9 Jan 2012 - 12:27) *
cant you read?

I can read fine, thanks ... it's just that nowhere in the comments did you make it clear that the neighbour you spoke to was the driver of the van.

QUOTE (bigstoop @ Mon, 9 Jan 2012 - 12:27) *
there response

Tut. Can't you write?

If all you've come here for is rants and retribution, rather than advice, I think this thread belongs in the Flame Pit.
Mattd
If the other driver has been spoken to and has admitted driving what is the issue. You obviously have his vehicle details to pass to your insurance, we can only assume he is insured since he has spoken to the police. It's a minor insurance claim. It's annoying and frustrating but still a minor non injury rtc, I'd you expect the police to drop everything and scream to the scene then that's foolish.
the ninja
I can partially see your point, in such that if you did not have your recording there would be no way of you knowing who had hit your van?! (correct me if I am wrong)

If that is your point, then the person that hit your vehicle did not report it,.... the police did not care (in your opinion) about the accident,.... and you may have had to claim off your own insurance.

thankfully, mostly none of the above is the case and you can hopefully claim off their insurance, but yes in principle I do (somewhat) see your point.....I'm sure you wouldn't have posted on here at all if you went out to your car and there was a note on your windscreen explaining what had happened etc.
southpaw82
Enough. OP, behave.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.