Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surrendering licence after being caught by speed gun
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
philip663
Hey all just looking for some advice regarding my speeding ticket i got the other day. I was caught doing 44 in a 30, long straight road with no cars, they got me at 360m, i probably didnt see them till 100m away. Any who they pulled me over and told me what i had done wrong, asked me to sit in the van whilst they took my details. It was a female officer taking them down, think i was the first ticket she had given because she didnt really know what to look for on my licence or what to in put in to her hand held pc thingy. I will be getting 3 points and a £60 fine, so she says. I only had my photo card licence on me so she says when i go in to the police station i will need to take both parts of my licence with me to surrender them as well as pay the fine. She printed me off this ticket (endorsable fixed penalty notice) and sent me on my way.

I didnt get any producers, but on the ticket she gave me it says i surrendered my licence at the side of the road. It goes on saying 'i acknowledge receipt of your driving licence and counterpart' and it gave me a receipt to say they have them. Now i can call a number to pay the fine, it says so on the ticket.

The question is what do i do now. My friend says that i should just pay the fine and if i get asked tell them they took my licence off me at the side of the road and am waiting for it to come back. Wise move? This is the first time iv been stopped in 3 n half years of riding, i just dont want the points =[

Thanks for any feedback, phil
Logician
Have a look at the thread started by X-treem, who is in a similar position, where the ins and outs of this are discussed. Ignore the parts of the discussion on whether his offence carries points or not, which does not apply to you of course.
philip663
Sorry about the poor image quality, but this is what my ticket shows =]

jobo
QUOTE (philip663 @ Sat, 12 Nov 2011 - 21:00) *
The question is what do i do now. My friend says that i should just pay the fine and if i get asked tell them they took my licence off me at the side of the road and am waiting for it to come back. Wise move?

no not wise, apart from being a bare faced lie, it doesn't help you at all, the case you have is that they issued a ( full) fpn with out getting reciet of you DL

if you claim they have had it, but lost it, then your legal point has gone

acting daft is one thing, but don't cross into purposely telling lies

your in a slightly weaker position than xtreem( the other guy in a similar position) because you could end up with more than the three points you have offered now and need to factor that in as well as how much money you want to risk

the law is untested, it would seem that you have a good legal point, that once they have issued it, with out getting your DL, they are stuck with it and cant prosecute, but a successful outcome is far from guaranteed

how ever there is the fall back position that if it all goes wrong the court SHOULD only apply the fixed penalty ie 60 quid and 3 points
Logician
The offence code will be that used only by Lancashire Police.
philip663
Rang that number and paid up, they didn't say anything about my licence. Think i might just play dumb, if they come for my licence ill just say it wasn't clear what they wanted me to do with it seeing as they gave me no producer.. Ill take the gamble =]
jobo
your missing the( several) point(s)

they arnt going to come for your DL, when they realize it hasnt been surrendered, they will send your money back and thereafter a summons
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.