Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand Held Police Car devices
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
happychappie
I was on the M1 j4 this morning when I spotted a marked police car with the policeman leaning out of his window with a "hair dryer" I was doing 80-85 mph when I spotted him and am a little concerned that I may receive a NIP shortly. There were numerous other cars around but as I was in the fast lane I am sure he would have aimed at me at some point.

In this instance do they have to then follow you and pull you over to notify you of the offence or can they just sit there all day recording every car that speeds

Secondly, msn on the web state http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/SpeedCamerasMar2005  that these Speedar cameras are not supposed to be used by the operator whilst sitting inside their vehicle. Is this a defence that stands up or does it not really matter??

Your advice would be appreciated
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (happychappie)
In this instance do they have to then follow you and pull you over to notify you of the offence or can they just sit there all day recording every car that speeds

They do not have to pull you at the time.
They can just go through the procedure of notification as if thy were an unattended camera.
That said, AIUI, it is unusual for traffic police not to pull you at the time.
happychappie
Thanks...I will just have to hope he wasnt after me then.

However if he was does the fact that they are not supposed to use them whilst sitting in the car form a good enough "get out" for me as he was definatley in his car pointing it out of the window. MSN's guide says they are not supposed to...but this might not mean that they arent allowed to do this.

Cheers
Philm
QUOTE (happychappie)
However if he was does the fact that they are not supposed to use them whilst sitting in the car form a good enough "get out" for me as he was definatley in his car pointing it out of the window. MSN's guide says they are not supposed to...but this might not mean that they arent allowed to do this.

Cheers

I'd of thought it would of been a laser gun as these are much more accurate than radar and unfortunately sitting in the car using these seems to be quite common
Mr Nervous
QUOTE (Philm)
QUOTE (happychappie)

Cheers

I'd of thought it would of been a laser gun as these are much more accurate than radar and unfortunately sitting in the car using these seems to be quite common

but is it right?   icon_wink.gif
Quattro
but is it right?

It's very sneaky. ACPO states the following: -

smile.gif in section 14.1 - The handheld devices, on occasions, have the appearance of a firearm. It is therefore important that this fact is borne in mind when operating such units. The operator must be clearly visible to the public and the target vehicle throughout the check. Devices should be operated in accordance with manufacturers instructions.

icon_cry.gif and in section 14.2 - Laser or optical hand-held devices may be used from within a vehicle provided there are no radio transmissions during the measurement. Any GSM phones must be turned off and any TETRA radios turned off unless they have a transmission inhibit switch, which is activated.

Please bear in mind the ACPO guidelines are just guidleines and do not usually offer an 'opt out' for the accusation against you.
Philm
QUOTE (Mr Nervous)
but is it right?   icon_wink.gif

QUOTE (bigstoop)
I did a little experiment last night with a laser mounted on a tripod and it had some interesting results.

The distance was around 250-300m from the tripod to the target.

The laser dot was about the size of a small football.
There was considerable shake, about 1cm in random directions from atmospheric conditions.
Pouring water from a watering can about half way along the beam caused lots of shake and the round shape would change.
Having my assistant holding the laser as still as possible resulted in him being almost unable to target me at all.

So at a distance of 250m-300m I doubt that it would be possible to target a car well enough travelling at speed to get a speed from it.

this is the reason that you often find the police sitting in the car to point a gun at you as they rest the thing on the wing mirror to remove the shake so they can get an "Accurate" reading............... However if they are sitting on a motorway bridge what happens if the wind blows and their car rocks just as they target you.......

also Flyin Flea wrote
QUOTE (flyin flea)
+ light has to travel back to the measuring device, so is subject to yet more dispersal on its return trip.

+ ever tried to hit something with a riffle 300m away?

+ever tried to hit a moving target 300m away?  

+laser/measuring device is perched on a tripod in the back of a cheap van with a dough-nut eating officer wallowing about. The vans do not have stabalising feet (a la caravans)

+ Some of the countries best camera operatives have difficulty tracking a human running at 8mph after they've scored a goal due to minor vibrations caused by celebrating fans. How can a hofficer track a vehicle at 80mph in a wobbly van?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.