Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Train Station Ticket
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
mercedade
Afternoon all,

I've spent the last few hours scouring the site (and working - obviously...) for information and I'm reasonably certain now that I'm basically just going to ignore this ticket, but the worrier in me just wants to make absolutely certain!

Ticket received today Click to view attachment

(apologies for the attachment - I'm prevented from accessing any kind of photo-hosting site whilst at work)

Received whilst parked overnight on a road which is a shared approach to an apartment complex and train station carpark. Car park is free at all times, road is painted with double-yellows up to about 1/3 of the way up. I park on the road where the yellow lines have stopped.

No obstruction caused (because the road is considered part of the car park, right?) and over-staying suggests that it's allowed to park normally. To my limited knowledge this seems too much of a confused ticket to even pass their own rules (I either can't park there or I can but I've overstayed - one or the other, surely?).

The threads here and here suggest that I'm OK to ignore this, but like I say, I just want to be sure!

Any help/confirmation gratefully received!

Many thanks
Gan
Nobody can recall NR taking any action for cases like this.

Best approach is to ignore but, if you want some fun, check with the Land Registry to find out who actually owns the road

mercedade
QUOTE (Gan @ Fri, 30 Sep 2011 - 12:43) *
Best approach is to ignore but, if you want some fun, check with the Land Registry to find out who actually owns the road

Interesting that! Just had a quick look on the LR website, but it seems councils hold registers of adopted/unadopted roads and the like.

I am curious now though...

Thanks for the reply also.
emanresu
I'm always fascinated by these.

The Byelaws (quoted at the bottom of the ticket) apply to Railway land and yet you say this is not Railway land. Could be a serious case for the Trading Standards to investigate if you are correct about the land boundaries.

....or you could just ignore.
mercedade
I don't know for certain whether or not it's railway land - it is a shared access road for certain, as it provides access to the residential car park for the apartment complex next to the station.

How would I find out the land boundaries? Out of curiosity, obviously...

I might email the council and see what they are able to tell me. The road is un-named and leads only to the station or the complex, but it has double-yellows and access is controlled by traffic lights (it forms one of the roads at a cross-road junction).
emanresu
Picked this up on one of the rail forums

The Railway Act 1962, Section 67 enables byelaws regulating the use of the railways to be issued.

The current railway byelaws are enforced by Section 219 of the Transport Act 2000 by the Strategic Rail Authority (the “Authority”) and confirmed under Schedule 20 of the Transport Act 2000 by the Secretary of State for Transport on 22 June 2005 for regulating the use and working of, and travel on or by means of, railway assets, the maintenance of order on railway assets and the conduct of all persons while on railway assets (the “Byelaws”).
mercedade
I just though I'd update on this.

After 3 increasingly threatening letters - nothing. Not a sausage!

They're still out slapping tickets around though, so hopefully others are ignoring them too.

Thanks all.
Gan
As more than six months have passed it's too late for them to take it to the magistrates as a byelaw offence.

Which means of course that it's just a PPC ticket to be ignored
roythebus
Expect a mags court summons, out of time of course as NR seem to have taken further action according to several other posts on here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.