Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flashed by a Gatso
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
xbakerbob
Hi,

The other night i got flashed by a Gatso.

My real speed was about 36-38 in a 30 zone.

Some might say fair enough but i was actually driving towards the camera e.g facing it when it went off in my face twice, there was no other cars around at the time and there was no white line markings on my side of the road.

Up to now i had all sorts of answer`s on asking this question elsewhere' I`ve been told that Gatso`s are only rear facing,i`ve been told Gatso`s can get you from the front i`ve been told if there are no white line markings that they can and cannot get you.

Just a bit confused really so who is right or wrong.

So am i expecting a fp fine and 3 points or have i got nothing to worry about.

Cheers Bob.
Logician
are you sure it was a Gatso, not a Truvelo? If it really was, then there is nothing to worry about. If you could find the location on Streetview we could have a look.
Gan
Truvelos should only flash once. The road markings will be three parallel lines a few inches apart.

Gatos road markings consist of about ten lines, usually 5 ft or 2 m apart
xbakerbob
QUOTE (Logician @ Thu, 29 Sep 2011 - 00:14) *
are you sure it was a Gatso, not a Truvelo? If it really was, then there is nothing to worry about. If you could find the location on Streetview we could have a look.

It was defo a Gatso has it was the one with the square holes in the front and not the Truvelo which has the round holes in the front (put in laymans terms).

Also the white line markings that was on the other side of the road were about 2 feet apart and there was about 15 of them.
Logician
You should be OK then, Gatsos are known to sometimes respond to oncoming traffic, but even if a picture is taken it should be disgarded as they are not approved for that situation. If you are the registered keeper you will know for certain within 14 days, when no NIP should arrive.
Gan
I'm having one of those "did I read it or not?" moments

Does anyone else recall a case involving a front facing Gatso where an "expert" was wheeled in to state that the reading was accurate anyway ? huh.gif
Aretnap
Duplicate thread
xbakerbob
QUOTE (Logician @ Thu, 29 Sep 2011 - 00:14) *

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...=12,293.35,,0,5

Here`s the location and camera,
jobo
gatso
xbakerbob
QUOTE (Logician @ Thu, 29 Sep 2011 - 09:03) *
You should be OK then, Gatsos are known to sometimes respond to oncoming traffic, but even if a picture is taken it should be disgarded as they are not approved for that situation. If you are the registered keeper you will know for certain within 14 days, when no NIP should arrive.

Well thats 15 days gone and no NIP biggrin.gif ,

Thanks again for your advice guys.
SCTomkinson
Bunch of us used to work down in Newcastle a lot and regularily used the A1 from edinburgh.

Kinda got to be a 'sport' seeing how many of th GATSO's on the other side of the road we could set off in each journey and compare notes later in the day.

Of course, this was done before speed camera vans were hidden round corners and before the police had laser!

Were good boys now!

S.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.