Full Version: [NIP Wizard] 35 in a 30
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
simplybob
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? - South Wales Police
Date of the offence: - 07/09/11
Date of the NIP: - 16/09/11
Date you received the NIP: - 17/09/11
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - B4487 Newport Road Rumney Cardiff
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 3
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons -

I was the person driving the vehicle at the time, and I remember the route I was travelling along. There is one fixed speed camera along that part of the road, and I doubt that I would have travelled at 35mph through it as I travel that route every day. I don't remember seeing any mobile cameras anywhere, however there was a speed camera van further up the road a few days before. It would be nice to know if it was the fixed camera or not, however I guess it must be right so I'll send the form back on Monday.

What is the likely hood that they'll offer me a speed awareness course?

Many Thanks.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - Wales
- Wales

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:33:43 +0000
Pete D
There is no rush to send it back yet as long as they have it by 28 days from when you recieved the NIP.
Write to them as ask for any copies of photo's to help you identify the driver. They do not have to but usually do send them This will show you whether it was fixed Gatso or a mobile camera van. Do not use the words evidence or proof.
When you send the S172 back, completed and signed, copy it and send the origal back via recorded delivery. Requesting photo's does not stop the 28 day clock.
You can attach the S172 to a letter showing your interest in a SAC. At 35 you are well in the catchment zone, if there is a place available. Pete D
simplybob
Thanks for your fast reply Pete.

I've had a think, and I probably won't bother asking for photos to be honest, as I'd rather get it over with asap.

I may go with your idea of writing a letter stating my interest in the SAC, however would that just sound like I'm trying to get out of it?

Also where do I stand with the 10% + 2mph guideline. I understand that it's a guideline and not the law, but some clarification on the matter would be good.

Thanks for your help,
simplybob.

Aretnap
10%+2 means that 35 is the lowest speed you'll normally be done for; not the highest you can get away with. In any event, as you say it's just a guideline, not law, and there's nothing to stop them prosecuting people for doing 31 in a 30.

The camera partnership are keen for as many people as possible to do speed awareness courses as they're <s>a nice little earner</s> an excellent way of improving road safety, so you're very likely indeed to be offered one at 35mph. There's no harm in enclosing a letter politely inquiring about the availability of a course, but little evidence that it actually increases your chances of getting one either.
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (simplybob @ Mon, 19 Sep 2011 - 17:00) *
Also where do I stand with the 10% + 2mph guideline. I understand that it's a guideline and not the law, but some clarification on the matter would be good.

Not sure what you are after here, 10%+2 = 35, which is the speed that enforcements usually starts (and that is the speed you were alleged to be doing), so I have no idea what clarification you are seeking?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.