Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mobile speed camera postion help
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
mattys
hi, after a little help please.

I have had a letter come through saying i was doing 87mph in a 70 limit dual carriageway. (3 points and £60 fine)

I don't believe i was doing this speed. I saw what i thought was a camera van in the distance and let off the throttle. As came closer to the van and could see it was a van i looked down at my speedo and i was doing 65mph. I may of been doing a little over 70 before coming off the throttle but not sure. But i really cant see it being 87 and slowing down to 65mph in a mater of 100 meters without using my breaks.

Now my question is. The camera van was on a bridge above the opposite lanes traffic. Is there radar gun accurate to take readings of the other lane crossing two lanes of traffic?

I also think i had a truck behind me and there was defo a car in front of me that stamped on the breaks in front of me but he was in the inside lane (i was in outside lane as i had just passed the truck )

Here is a diagram.

Any help please.

PS, i have checked the times, dates and received the letter within 14 days.
mrh3369
The laser is good for up to 999m so may have caught you before you saw it and eased off .
justforthepictures
QUOTE (mattys @ Sun, 11 Sep 2011 - 15:10) *
hi, after a little help please.

I have had a letter come through saying i was doing 87mph in a 70 limit dual carriageway. (3 points and £60 fine)

I don't believe i was doing this speed. I saw what i thought was a camera van in the distance and let off the throttle. As came closer to the van and could see it was a van i looked down at my speedo and i was doing 65mph. I may of been doing a little over 70 before coming off the throttle but not sure. But i really cant see it being 87 and slowing down to 65mph in a mater of 100 meters without using my breaks.

Now my question is. The camera van was on a bridge above the opposite lanes traffic. Is there radar gun accurate to take readings of the other lane crossing two lanes of traffic?

I also think i had a truck behind me and there was defo a car in front of me that stamped on the breaks in front of me but he was in the inside lane (i was in outside lane as i had just passed the truck )

Here is a diagram.

Any help please.

PS, i have checked the times, dates and received the letter within 14 days.

The kit in question wouldn't have used radar, it is a narrow laser beam (although it gets conically wider the further it gets from the source).

Forget the 'across two lanes of traffic stuff'! If the enforcement vehicle was in an elevated position, then what is around and below has zero effect. All that is needed is a clear line of sight - all done in less than half a second.

mattys
o.k then, sounds like i must of been doing that speed then.

Do they take a picture these things?
justforthepictures
QUOTE (mattys @ Sun, 11 Sep 2011 - 16:01) *
o.k then, sounds like i must of been doing that speed then.

Do they take a picture these things?

Next to the bit of kit that determines your speed, there is a video camera running, recording everything to DVD (or tape, depending on the age of the system).

You can request a picture to help you determine who was driving. This will simply be a screendump of the moving footage and not a photograph as such.

If you ask for a picture, do not use words like 'evidence', just a simple written request (or a phone call will suffice), asking for a picture to help ID the driver.
mattys
o.k thanks.

I guess i should just pay the fine and send my license in. Unless anyone can advice me to do something else? its the points i have a issue with. I would prefer a larger fine even tho i am broke at the moment. I have a clean license at the moment but spend a lot of time on the road and with all these speed cameras popping up with all the different speed limits every where it can be confusing of what speed you should be doing. Obviously the speed i was apparently doing there is no excuses for as it was above the max speed limit in the uk.
but there has been so many times im coming up to a speed camera and not knowing if i should be doing 30 or 40 or even 60! they should put the speed on the back of the cameras. Im just scared of getting hit with more points in the future.

Aretnap
Unfortunately you can't take a larger fine in return for avoiding the points. On conviction for speeding, endorsement with a minimum of three points is mandatory unless there are exceptional circumstances (special reasons not to endorse), which don't seem to apply in this case.

At 87 in a 70 you are slightly above the limit where a speed awareness course would normally be offered (unless you're in Scotland) instead of points. I have heard of people being offered them above the normal threshold so there would be no harm in enclosing a suitably grovelling letter with your reply asking about the possibility of a course, though I wouldn't hold my breath.

You can also ask for pictures as JftP has suggested before you reply and if/when they arrive scrub them of identifying details and post them up here. They may show a problem with the ping which would cast doubt on the alleged speed, though again don't get your hopes up too high. Remember that asking for photos doesn't stop the clock - you must name yourself as driver within 28 days whether they send them or not, or risk 6 points and a much bigger fine than £60 for failure to provide driver information.

Do the NIP Wizard including the additional questions and post the results in this thread - it may throw something else up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.