Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have they got the process right?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
zecis
On April 2 I collected my son from Leeds uni, and was within 4 miles of home, travelling down a deserted (really nothing on the road at all), welll surfaced, dry A303 (a 550 mile trip) - at the bottom of a long hill, just around a slight bend they popped out and clocked me at 101. This was back in April, I have heard nothing from that day to this. At the time I ate so much humble pie I got indegestion - they breathalyised me (completely clean), looked at my licence (completely clean.... for the last 19 yrs, that is including 5 years of 40K pa repping).

Mitigating circumstances..... I honestly thought I was doing around 80 at the most.. I suppose the wife calling to tell us dinner was getting cold, and a son squirming in the front seat after a loo (not a pee) made me unconsiously "press on" a bit more than I should have - and as I said they were at the bottom of one of those long straight descents that the A303 has.

As the weeks went by I thought I had just been severely told off - today a summons has appeared in the post.

Friends and colleagues I have told, say they have to notify you within a month.... and yes the court summons may take longer, I have received nothing, the chap did not even give me a ticket of any kind.

Have they got the process right?
What can I expect?
Any advice that may help in minimising the points/fine/ban???

Thanks
Adam

PS - Is it really worth hiring one of these lawyers who supposedly get people off??
Aretnap
He's not required to give you any paperwork at the scene, just warn you verbally that you may be prosecuted. If he did, there's no requirement to issue you with a Notice of Intended Prosecution by post. The only deadline is that information must be laid before a court within 6 months of the offence. If the offence was in April and the summons has arrived now it sounds like they're comfortable within the 6 months.

As far as penalty goes

This thread should be in the speeding and other criminal offences forum - a mod will doubtless move it.
zecis
Hmmm - thank you for that Aretnap - it looks like around 4 years of very careful driving. I am sure I am not alone when wonder why they do not spend as much effort getting the people that speed in built up areas, or drive at silly speeds in the rain on motorways.... but this is the country we live in angry9.gif

I will let you all know what court delivers.

Adam
justforthepictures
QUOTE (zecis @ Sun, 4 Sep 2011 - 10:11) *
Hmmm - thank you for that Aretnap - it looks like around 4 years of very careful driving. I am sure I am not alone when wonder why they do not spend as much effort getting the people that speed in built up areas, or drive at silly speeds in the rain on motorways.... but this is the country we live in angry9.gif

Adam

When you say they popped out and clocked you, what was the method used to measure your speed? Did they show you the rear panel of a hand-held device, what happened exaxctly?
Logician
QUOTE (zecis @ Fri, 2 Sep 2011 - 17:21) *
Is it really worth hiring one of these lawyers who supposedly get people off??

Who knows? It worked for Sir Alex Ferguson when in a similar situation to your son, but you might do as well yourself, at least keep it to six points rather then disqualification, assuming you were on a D/C section of the A303.
mrh3369
QUOTE (zecis @ Sun, 4 Sep 2011 - 10:11) *

Adam

It could be argued that those taking bends at an alleged 101 mph are equally deserving of attention. Whether a hot shot lawyer could get you off is very debatable and depends of the evidence and mitigation + how much money you are prepared to spend in an attempt to beat it, your choice I guess and good luck if you go for it.
Hotel Oscar 87
Your fate will depend somewhat on what area you were caught in, of course.

As you will be liable to a short-term ban you may want to consider presenting any mitigation (more emphasis on an apology) in person. Appearing reasonably "booted & suited" and contrite may well see an otherwise low cost reduction in any sentence passed. Mitigation is covered in the FAQ section - some reading there will be useful in helping you come to a decision.

As for "hot-shot" lawyers many are not quite as hot as they would have you believe - more tepid really and if you want a really top-of-the-pile hot-shot, like Nick Freeman, then a sizeable bank loan might cover his bill. Keep in mind that at the speed alleged you would be liable to a fine of between 75 and 125% (starting point 100%) of your "relevant weekly income" - income minus tax and NI - with a third discount for an early guilty plea (presumably). On top of this a short-term ban of 7-56 days could be imposed or a mandatory 6 points in the alternative, plus costs (somewhere in the £43 to £59 range and Victim Support Levy of £15. If you feel that there is room for several thousands of pounds value to be obtained from a "hot-shot" in shortening or doing away with a short-term ban then I suppose the answer is "over to you".

Appearances at court are intended to be daunting experiences but don't go thinking that they are quite as daunting as all that.

On the subject of the long straights on the A303 I suppose 35 years of driving it means there are rarely any surprises any more and with HO87 Jnr Mk3 at Hull Uni (even Exeter was too close apparently) I entirely sympathise. rolleyes.gif

zecis
Just for clarification it wasn't a "bend".... it was a very very slight change in direction over around quarter of a mile, so as you come around the apex (such as it is) the officer was waiting - laser gun poised ready to earn revenue, and exchange my ££ for points on my otherwise clean licence sad.gif .
Tomorrow is the day - I will let you all know what happens.
Adam
zecis
Penalty for 101mph on an empty, dry A303 at 9:30 in the evening 6 points and £600

This was with the mitigating (not sure if they counted as such) of:
Opticians letter saying that it is probable due to only ever having been prescribed with reading glasses that I could not make out the numbers on the speedo in the dusky light. My long distance vision is A1, so obviously was not wearing the reading specs.

At the end of a long 500 mile journey

19 years of no points or convictions, despite a few years in there where I was driving 40,000 a year for work, and pleading guilty at the earliest point.

Thank you for all your help and advice above - and folks be warned over 100 it gets expensive, and there was a long lecture at the roadside and in the court this morning around if I had got previous speeding or anything else that was a negative it would have been a ban + and a much higher fine.

Regards
Adam
mrh3369
Not so bad, kind of what would be expected and at least not a short ban which could have been imposed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.