Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Met Police want driver details
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
bathroomsoflondon
Hi, got a speeding ticket and sent the cheque along with slip from bottom of ticket and now I have received the letter below. I no longer have the ticket. What am I best to do in this situation? Many thanks Jon

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
picko
It would appear, at first glance, that they have lost all of your details. Don't be in a rush to fill that letter out until others have commented. The date of the letter is the 9th August, when did you receive it?
bathroomsoflondon
I dont know exactly. I have been on Holiday
picko
I presume the only answer you know is the Reg details?
Logician
I would guess that your licence has become separated from the slip you returned and they are trying to reunite them. Presumably this is not an uncommon occurance since they have a form letter for it! I cannot see that there is any compulsion on you to reply, but on the other hand they still have your licence, and presumably sooner or later the fact that the FPN has not been settled will emerge, which might lead to a summons. The straightforward way would be to do what they ask and fill in as many details as you remember, the chancier way would be to ignore their letter, probably only worth risking if you have a lot of points already.
bathroomsoflondon
Yes I know the Reg but from my viewpoint I know I included the slip and the cheque and wrote my details on the back as requested. Just because they have lost it does not make it my fault. I dont see what use just the reg will do for them? I have proof of posting too.
sgtdixie
It looks like others have said to be an admin letter. The purpose appears to be to simply speed the return of your licence. By all means play games and ignore it but I would have thought that you may actually want to get the licence back.

There is no legal compulsion to reply but why wouldn't you? I think that the suggestions re ignoring are hoping that the original offence paperwork will disappear and you will escape points/fine. If that is your hope then by all means ignore the letter, I suppose it may work.
jobo
QUOTE (sgtdixie @ Thu, 1 Sep 2011 - 12:18) *
It looks like others have said to be an admin letter. The purpose appears to be to simply speed the return of your licence. By all means play games and ignore it but I would have thought that you may actually want to get the licence back.

There is no legal compulsion to reply but why wouldn't you? I think that the suggestions re ignoring are hoping that the original offence paperwork will disappear and you will escape points/fine. If that is your hope then by all means ignore the letter, I suppose it may work.

it would seem they have the OPs DL and no idea what FPN it relates to and he has no obligation to tell them, the worst that can happen is it go to court where it should be droped as he has complied with the FPN and no prosicution is then possible or they work out on a process of elimination what fpn is his
sgtdixie
As I said it may work and if he doesn't need his licence for a few months why not give it a go.
picko
QUOTE (sgtdixie @ Thu, 1 Sep 2011 - 12:30) *
As I said it may work and if he doesn't need his licence for a few months why not give it a go.

Agree with that Dixie, worth a shot if licence not needed for a while.
odom
What would they summons him for if they have no idea what the original offence was?

Clearly if they want all the FPN details they have lost the FPN and want to find the counterpart, and are bluffing that they are helping the OP by getting his licence back to him quicker.

As said, unless the OP needs their licence back soon I would just write back saying that you no longer have the FPN and have access to multiple vehicles, so are unable to furnish them with the information they request. Point out to them that this information was on the FPN payment slip, which you originally provided. My guess would be that licence and fine would be returned due to a "clerical error", as they aren't going to look through thousands of counterparts for £60, but as other have said, it's a gamble. Unless they find the counterpart or original, though, the odds seem to be in the OP's favour.
jobo
QUOTE (odom @ Thu, 1 Sep 2011 - 12:40) *
What would they summons him for if they have no idea what the original offence was?

Clearly if they want all the FPN details they have lost the FPN and want to find the counterpart, and are bluffing that they are helping the OP by getting his licence back to him quicker.

As said, unless the OP needs their licence back soon I would just write back saying that you no longer have the FPN and have access to multiple vehicles, so are unable to furnish them with the information they request. Point out to them that this information was on the FPN payment slip, which you originally provided. My guess would be that licence and fine would be returned due to a "clerical error", as they aren't going to look through thousands of counterparts for £60, but as other have said, it's a gamble. Unless they find the counterpart or original, though, the odds seem to be in the OP's favour.

becouse the copper is waiting for the signed off fpn to come back to him, if it doesnt he will raise a summons

ignoring it totaly is the way to go, getting in to conversation only encourags them
sgtdixie
QUOTE (jobo @ Thu, 1 Sep 2011 - 12:44) *
becouse the copper is waiting for the signed off fpn to come back to him, if it doesnt he will raise a summons

ignoring it totaly is the way to go, getting in to conversation only encourags them

The cop won't get anything back if the process is complied with so they won't be waiting for anything as most FPN's are paid etc. After production all the paperwork goes direct to the Ticket office unles the cop asked for a copy. That is normally only done if they are considering other offences such as insurance.
jobo
QUOTE (sgtdixie @ Thu, 1 Sep 2011 - 12:48) *

The cop won't get anything back if the process is complied with

but it hasnt has it ?
picko
QUOTE (odom @ Thu, 1 Sep 2011 - 12:40) *
I would just write back saying that you no longer have the FPN and have access to multiple vehicles, so are unable to furnish them with the information they request. .
This could open a whole can of worms at best, don't do this.

I would go with Jobo and Dixie
bathroomsoflondon
I do know the registration number but do not see what use it would be to them, as far as I am concerned I have followed all their requests, I sent it recoded delivery (luckily) and still have the slip to prove it. Any clerical errors are surely down to them?
bama
did the delivery get recorded ? i.e you have more than the slip from the post office when you posted ?
you can check on the 'track' facility on the Royal Mail's website

track.royalmail.com/
bathroomsoflondon
I have got back my licence but now with 3 points on it sad.gif

However, the offence code they have written on it MW10 is not the offence code that was written on the originial ticket. What does convicting court code mean? It didn't go to court, is this just procedure?
andy_foster
The code written on the original ticket is probably just the local force code, and in any case not the DVLA endorsement code
MW10 is the DVLA endorsement code for "Contravention of special roads regulations (excluding speed limits)". Special roads is legalese for motorways.

What offence was the ticket for? You said speeding and the DVLA endorsement code says anything but speeding on a motorway.

Your licence will have been endorsed by a court clerk, as if you had been convicted in court.
Aretnap
MW codes refer to motorway offences

MW10 Contravention of special roads regulations (excluding speed limits)

You say it was for speeding - are your sure? Not for something else, like driving on the hard shoulder?
bathroomsoflondon
I know 100% that it was on a dual carrageway and that it was for speeding in a 40mph zone. Seems like they just plucked this offence code out of thin air as they had lost the original ticket... Anything I can do?
andy_foster
Assuming that you were driving a car (or motorbike, or car derived van, etc) the correct code is SP30 - which is speeding in a car other than on a motorway.
I suspect that they picked a code out of thin air as they have no idea what the ticket was for, and (quite understandably) you were not willing to help them fix their mistakes when it seemed possible that their mistakes could benefit you.

It should be relatively straightforward (which isn't very straightforward at all when dealing with the courts and the DVLA) to have the correct code put on your licence in place of the 'plucked out of thin air code' but I can't think of any way to have the 'wrong' code removed without having the right code put on.
bathroomsoflondon
Thanks Andy, bit Smeg but hey ho. Just can't believe they can be so lackadaisical/inept and still get away it. Talk about incriminating yourself! Date of conviction is just ---. Surely they have to put a date on other than date of offence?
Aretnap
There won't be a date of conviction because there wasn't a conviction - just the processing of the fixed penalty. The date of the offence is the only one which matters, eg for totting purposes, anyway.
sgtdixie
Before you rush to get a speeding code on your licence it may be worth finding out what effect it has on your insurance. After all you can justifiably disclose the endorsement you have been given however 'inaccurate', just a thought.
bathroomsoflondon
I see, so get insurance quotes with both codes and see what works out cheaper?
The Rookie
Yup, use a comparison site and run some dummy quotes, use the same postcode but a house number a few doors down and a fabricated name, details from compare sites go to insurers and you may not want them to know what you've been up to!

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.