Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caught 88mph in a 70mph
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
AndrewR
Hello all,

I was caught speeding last night doing 88mph on a 70mph limit... I already have an SP30 & a DD40 which gave me a ban a few years back with no points. I really can't afford to gain another 3 points on my license because of my job, what is the chances of getting off with it by sending a letter explaining my current situation?

I don't speed as much as I used to do but in this occasion I was needing home because I was working in the morning it was at about 1:10am so not much on the road and they were in a navy blue unmarked BMW which was not really visible until it was too late. There is 1 question I would like someone to answer if they have the answer that is... Can the driver of the police car use the gun or does the passenger need to use it or does it not matter?

It was on the A90 in Scotland just in case the laws are different in England

Thanks,

Andrew.
southpaw82
Doesn't matter. Were you given an FPN at the side of the road?
AndrewR
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sun, 21 Aug 2011 - 18:52) *
Doesn't matter. Were you given an FPN at the side of the road?

Yeah I did, the pink copy
southpaw82
Cheapest option is to accept it unless there's something you're not telling us?
AndrewR
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sun, 21 Aug 2011 - 19:39) *
Cheapest option is to accept it unless there's something you're not telling us?

No nothing at all, just was nipping on a bit trying to get home because I had just been told i was working in the morning, I'm just seeing if there is a chance of getting the points dropped at all to save me telling my work about an additional 3 points have been added to my license. They said the convictions I have are the most they could take... my DD40 and my SP30 that I already have which I'm very thankful they have accepted me with them, however if I get caught speeding again then it means I will not be able to drive company vehicles which is a must for my job... so basically jobless when I tell them about it... if you get me?
southpaw82
I do get you but at the moment I don't see a defence.
The Rookie
Without a viable defence, accepting the FPN is the best option, right now your not offering anything at all viable.

What were the offence dates for the 2 previous offences as they may no longer be in any way 'valid', either for totting, required to be visible on your licence, or for insurance purposes/declareable.

Simon
AndrewR
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sun, 21 Aug 2011 - 20:21) *
Without a viable defence, accepting the FPN is the best option, right now your not offering anything at all viable.

What were the offence dates for the 2 previous offences as they may no longer be in any way 'valid', either for totting, required to be visible on your licence, or for insurance purposes/declareable.

Simon

I'm looking at just taking it and dealing with it. The SP30 was 1/10/2009 and the DD40 was 4/06/2008. Still need to wait till next year for them not to be valid.
Glacier2
How long were you banned for?
AndrewR
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Sun, 21 Aug 2011 - 21:33) *

12 long months, young and naive. never doing anything like that again!
Logician
Nothing you have said suggests a defence, and the fixed penalty is not going to be cancelled on hardship grounds, so I think you are going to have to accept this and hope that you are valuable enough to your employers for them to keep you on. And be very careful not to get any more points.
Glacier2
QUOTE (AndrewR @ Sun, 21 Aug 2011 - 23:43) *

At least that has removed your previous points.
Logician
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Mon, 22 Aug 2011 - 11:57) *
QUOTE (AndrewR @ Sun, 21 Aug 2011 - 23:43) *

At least that has removed your previous points.

No, it was a DD40 not a TT99.
Aretnap
Plus it would still be a matter of fact that he was convicted of the speeding offence, and the conviction would still have to be declared to insurers (which I assume is the problem with driving for work with another conviction?).
Durzel
For what it's worth they wouldn't have used a gun on you, not if you were following you. They would've carried out a follow check and measured how long it took you to travel between two points (distance ÷ time = speed).

As has unfortunately been said already what you've said so far doesn't constitute any kind of defence really, and 88mph in a 70 is hardly drifting over the limit.
The Rookie
QUOTE (Durzel @ Mon, 22 Aug 2011 - 13:58) *
For what it's worth they wouldn't have used a gun on you, not if you were following you. They would've carried out a follow check and measured how long it took you to travel between two points (distance ÷ time = speed).

Hmm so was it a follow check or using a time and distance device you then mention, it MAY have been both, it may have been one or the other, but why speculate!

Simon
AndrewR
it was the side of the road they were with some gun with a red dot on top, telling me the distance and speed I was caught at.

my previous convictions are not off until next year.

By the looks of it I need to take it and see what my work has to say about it! sad.gif
Mayhem007
QUOTE (AndrewR @ Sun, 21 Aug 2011 - 21:14) *
The SP30 was 1/10/2009 and the DD40 was 4/06/2008. Still need to wait till next year for them not to be valid.

Insurance companies still apply limitations and premiums for 5 years. The points are only valid for 3 years but like the DD40 remain on your license for 4 years.

If you have already previously advised your employees of the offences, especially the DD40, which is a serious offence, can't really see an extra 3 points make any difference.

Generally speaking, company vehicle insurance is the ultimate insurance and pretty much covers everybody within the company for 6 points or less.

Hypothetically speaking if you were still covered and legally allowed to drive after previously having a 12 month ban, then I imagine you will still be covered with just an extra 3 points added.

However, your posts appear to suggest differently. You may have been warned about your driving but this may have simply been a scare tactic to stop you driving like a complete idiot.
glasgow_bhoy
You could offer to pay some of the additional insurance costs incurred as a result of these 3 points?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.