Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Declaring bus lane ticket when applying for car insurance.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
AdamM
Hello.

I am currently in the process of buying a new car and arranging the insurance for it through the GoCompare website. I am asked the following question:

"Any motoring convictions (including fixed penalty endorsements or anything pending) in the last 5 years"

I was recently sent a bus lane penalty ticket, which I paid. Does this need to be declared? If so, I can't find a category that it fits into, unless it counts as a NE99 Non Endorsable conviction? I tried to use the NE99 option and found that only 50% of the insurers were able to quote for me, compared to when I didn't declare anything, which doesn't sound right for a trivial driving error.

Please can someone advise as I haven't found any information on this?

Thanks, Adam.

The Rookie
Is the ticket from the Police or from the council (PCN) if the latter it definately does not need to be declared.

Simon
AdamM
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

It was a council one, which said I'd been observed by a roadside camera.

Why would it be different if it was from the police (if the "crime" was the same)?
The Rookie
The 'crime' is not the same, councils penalise de-criminalised 'contraventions' so you commited no crime.

Simon
AdamM
Ok, thanks for the explanation.

When I rang my insurer earlier to see what their quote would be, he did mention when going through my details, that there was a note about the bus lane ticket on there. Are they automatically informed by the council?
The Rookie
No
Sparxy
QUOTE (AdamM @ Sat, 13 Aug 2011 - 17:27) *
Ok, thanks for the explanation.

When I rang my insurer earlier to see what their quote would be, he did mention when going through my details, that there was a note about the bus lane ticket on there. Are they automatically informed by the council?

No, but if you have put it into a comparison site / perhaps made two or more quotes with the same insurer, they have noticed the discrepancy?

When I renewed my insurance, i had two options for employment title, Student - Living at Home, or Student - Nurse. The latter dropped £10 off my premium, and was closer to the actual course I was on. However, I travel to Uni so the first one is also correct. When I rang up to confirm my policy, they asked which was correct (on two, totally different comparison sites).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.