Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Community Support Officers started issuing PCNs
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Gary Motorist
Hi,

I live in a residential area in Cambridgeshire and the local CSO have started to issue PCN to cars parked partly on the pavement. I am yet to receive one as I have not had to park on that side of the road, but was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation?

The road is oneway at the point of entry. One side of the road has cars parked next to the pavement, on the other part of the a small amount of pavement is used. The CSO indicated cars should park off the pavement both sides to avoid a PCN but this would block access to any vehicle larger than a family car, including delivery drivers or emergency vehicles.

The are no parking restrictions (no lines anywhere).

In addition a document on the county council website has the following statement in it's parking guidelines.

"Footpath Parking
A PCN may be served to a vehicle parked on a footway only when it is parked adjacent to an existed restriction such as yellow lines"

Surely with this statement in their own guidelines the PCN would be invalid? Also continued issuance of the PCN would constitute harassment?

Let me know your thoughts, as I fully intend to park partly on the pavement at some point as it is how the street has always operated.

Also the tickets being issued have not been clear regarding the offence, as the text is so faint it is not readable.

Gary
Gan
Somebody may know better but I didn't think that issuing parking tickets was included in the standard powers of a PCSO nor could they be given as one of the discretionary powers.

http://www.pcsos-national.co.uk/page3.html
I am Weasel
A few years ago ny ex-wife was a PCSO in Thames Valley and she was issuing tickets. Unsure whether they were FPNs or PCNs though
southpaw82
It's probably an FPN for obstruction. Footways are for people, not cars!
clark_kent
QUOTE (Gary Motorist @ Sun, 7 Aug 2011 - 18:14) *
The CSO indicated cars should park off the pavement both sides to avoid a PCN but this would block access to any vehicle larger than a family car, including delivery drivers or emergency vehicles.

Parking on the footway causes damage to the footway and utilities underneath and is a hazard to those to whom it is a right of way ie those on foot. If the road is too narrow to park two cars in the simple solution is to park elsewhere.
Gary Motorist
Parking in the street has been in the same format for the past 10 years. One side of the road the footpath is completely clear, the other only partial obstruction. If it is indeed a PCN being issued and not an FPN then surely this is against the guidance of the councils own policies?

The helpful reply of "Footpaths are for people, park elsewhere" are appreciated. Maybe if I lived in a heavy footfall street which was also used as access to another location I'd feel 'that' response was the act I would immediately follow, but as this parking issue has not been problem for the last 10 years I feel there is an air of cash recovery about the tickets served rather than a public order objective.

Further comments not stating the obvious, especially with regard to the guidelines I posted would be appreciated.

Guidelines are here http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonly...aljune10ccc.pdf

Gary

Aretnap
QUOTE (Gary Motorist @ Sun, 7 Aug 2011 - 19:21) *

That document applies to council policy in the civil enforcement area (ie the city of Cambridge) - see page 4. It won't have any relevance to police tickets issued outside Cambridge. AFAIK Cambridge is the only part of the county currently to have civil parking enforcement.

QUOTE (Gary Motorist @ Sun, 7 Aug 2011 - 19:21) *
but as this parking issue has not been problem for the last 10 years I feel there is an air of cash recovery about the tickets served rather than a public order objective.

If we're talking about police FPNs rather than council PCNs as I suspect we are, the proceeds go direct to central government rather than the council or police so I doubt revenue collection is the main motivation. More likely some concerned citizen/local busybody (delete according to preference) has complained that cars are being parked in a way which impedes wheelchairs or pushchairs etc.
Aretnap
QUOTE (Gan @ Sun, 7 Aug 2011 - 18:28) *
Somebody may know better but I didn't think that issuing parking tickets was included in the standard powers of a PCSO nor could they be given as one of the discretionary powers.

http://www.pcsos-national.co.uk/page3.html

In Cambridgeshire (and many other areas) PCSOs are also designated as traffic wardens and so have traffic warden powers.

http://www.cambs.police.uk/recruitment/pcso/questions.asp
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.