Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Took a while to ID driver - fine+points+costs+surcharge!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
sparkey186
Hi all - I'm new to this, so please be gentle! I post to see if what's happened is right/to provide a cautionary tale for others - but I'll try and be as succinct as poss.
20/4/11 - received an NIP (1st class) (39 in a 30) for offence on the 12/4/11 (GATSO)
28/4/11 - returned completed NIP stating wasn't sure who the driver was (could have been 1 of 3 people), and assumed that photos would be forthcoming (they weren't)
11/5/11 - received letter stating as I was unable to name driver, case would be forwarded to the court (included NIP final reminder)
14/6/11 - received a summons giving court date of 5/7/11
20/6/11 - wrote to court & police asking for photos
27/6/11 - received photos (was me - dammit)
28/6/11 - plea form etc returned explaining delay in plea - guilty plea (sent rec.del - arrived 29/6/11)
8/7/11 - received notice of fine & collection order : speeding fine £35.00
Victim surcharge £15.00
Costs £60.00
Total amount payable - £110.00! Is this right? I didn't want to admit guilt if it wasn't me(!) but couldn't find out from other 2 drivers straight away due to hols (explained this in letter of the 20th June). But I did get the plea form back before the court date. Are they allowed to put on the surcharge and costs like that?!
The Rookie
Once you get to court they follow the senatncing guidelines, the fine is very low (so I suspect your income is low) and yes the rest is right.

Simon
andy_foster
Presumably you were dual charged (speeding and failing to provide information contrary to s. 172(3) RTA 1988)?
picko
If that is the case you got quite lightly / lucky
Pete D
speeding fine £35.00
Victim surcharge £15.00
Costs £60.00
Are you sure that was not costs 35, fine 60.
What about the 3 points.
Pete D
Gan
Looks like you got off very lightly.

They had you bang to rights for an S172 offence - £500 & 6 points

This could have been avoided if you had asked for pictures in the first place - at the speed alleged you would have probably got off with a course.

johnjo42
Once you pleaded guilty, it was all over. I'm afraid that you've learnt an expensive lesson the hard way, namely to seek advice beforehand not afterwards.
sparkey186
Hi again - thanks for the replies.

The Rookie - I didn't actually get to court, although a date was set. I thought if you got the paperwork in at least 3 days before the court date (which I did) then there wouldn't be a court hearing, (stupid?!) and I'd just get the fine & points. (Yes, income is low!)

andy-foster - not dual charged, no - just the speeding

Pete D - yes, the fine is £35, costs £60 and I did get the 3 points

Gan - I realise now this could have been avoided if I'd asked for photos in the first place - which is why I say I post as a cautionary tale (i.e. to get pictures immediately!)

johnjo42 - thanks, I know.

Looks like I'm just gonna have to put up and shut up then!? Hope I've at least given some of you a laugh.
southpaw82
QUOTE (sparkey186 @ Mon, 11 Jul 2011 - 18:20) *
andy-foster - not dual charged, no - just the speeding

Interesting. I wonder what admissible evidence they had that you were the driver? Not really relevant since you pleaded guilty though. All you're really left with now is to pay up - you could appeal against sentence but since your fine was very low anyway, why would you?
The Rookie
QUOTE (sparkey186 @ Mon, 11 Jul 2011 - 18:20) *
The Rookie - I didn't actually get to court, although a date was set. I thought if you got the paperwork in at least 3 days before the court date (which I did) then there wouldn't be a court hearing, (stupid?!)

Hope I've at least given some of you a laugh.

What did you think would happen instead?

Yes, its added a little light hearted relief to the day - thanks!

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.