Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pre-empting the PPC (concerns about towing)
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
MotorcyclesFish
Dear All,

Hello!

Coupon-mad on MSE suggested I post this thread here as well. It's a carbon copy of the one on MSE, which I've condensed. The MSE thread is located here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showth....php?p=43304330

Hopefully Coupon-mad can be persuaded to paste a copy of his great response here below my post as well for discussion.

So on with the story............

Premier Parking Solutions operate in the parking areas on the development I sometimes reside in (70s era block of flats). There is not enough parking, as is common with older blocks, so those who drive my car and a number of the residents park in areas which are small islands of pavement with double yellows round them. For moral background; no movement of vehicles or persons is impeded. In fact there is loads of space and LWB vans can manoeuvre quite easily. Elsewhere, ramps are available (actually on the shortest walking route) to allow access for the disabled and those with pushchairs/children. I'm quite clear about the difference in my head between parking reasonably and unreasonably. But, I live here, and I don't see any crime in those who need to parking near where I live.

The first speculative invoice from PPS was attached to my car today and I intend to ignore it as per the tons of advice on this forum - this thread is not about that.

On the signage (detailed later when I can get internets to work properly) it states both a clamping and a tow-away service with fee, etc. etc. My concern is that after 10 or 20 invoices which haven't generated this speculative income, they will resort to these other extortion tactics.

Questions:

1. Should I find my car clamped, what is the best way to act?

2. Should I find my car has been towed or they are pulling the old "automatically call the tow truck" scam, what is the best way to act?

Facts:

A. I do not love my car, nor do I need it. I can afford to be without it as I can get the train to work and also own a motorcycle and another car (both stored various places in the neighbouring counties). Is this of benefit when dealing with the scum?

B. This is all ongoing at a place I am present on the tenancy agreement at. I may even live here at times. This is not my address as registered keeper of my car which appears to have had the invoice attached to it.

C. I detest the modes of operation of these people and will fight this with as much time and effort as it takes within the bounds of the law.

D. Upon reviewing my tenancy contract there is NO provision or clause specifying any requirement or obligation to do with parking in the grounds of the development.

E. The road is signposted as PRIVATE at the point of entry from the highway. Whilst it would be diligent of me to ascertain whether a TRO exists for this road, right now it seems probable to me that this is an unadopted area of tarmac off the highway.

F. There was a second invoice attached to the car this afternoon. This makes me suspect either an overzealous PPC (the same being defined as one who has not ceased trading and dismissed its staff) or a curtain-twitching resident (it's basically curtain-twitching Daily Mail ground zero around here).

I hope you can help me out with my questions as, with all other things being equal, the only possible issue is immobilisation or removal of my car.

Regards

MotorcyclesFish
roythebus
Good on you for sussing out the possibility of a PPC macs (backwards).

Don't worry about a TRO, there won't be one for your flats, it's private. You ought to find out who employs the PPC and point out to them (managing agents?) the terms of your tenancy agreement. Does it give you rights to park in the area?

Otherwise, if clamped, remove the clamp without causing damage. Who is the PPC involved?

ISTR Coupon Mad is known here as school run mum. She'll be along when she's finished cutting the coupons out of the Sunday Mail!
Gan
Also point out to your management agent that you do not consent to any clamp or tow.

You will regard any such activity as tortious interference with your property and will hold them jointly and severally liable for the actions of the company they employed.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.