Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M8 Glasgow 50MPH
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
chrisash32
Hi Everyone,
I have been driving for over 7 years and never had any points etc. However last night i was heading to Scotland for the bank holiday weekend and got stopped just off the M8 for allegedly speeding.

The officer stated that i was overtaking a car at 72MPH and that the M8 is 50MPH.
He then went on to show me a laser looking device with an LCD on the back showing the following information.
Speed: -72
Distance: 160

He said that the - meant i was travelling away / in front of them at the time the device was used.

He told me that the machine was calibrated before they went on shift etc, they issued me a ticket and was on their way.

My question is, how does a hand held laser device like this work when a vehicle is in motion??

I was issued with a 28day notice to send off for 3 points and a fine.

Thanks
BaggieBoy
I would suspect that their vehicle was parked up at time, do you know differently?
chrisash32
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Fri, 29 Apr 2011 - 12:31) *
I would suspect that their vehicle was parked up at time, do you know differently?

they didn't state they were parked up and it allegedly happened near J13, which is a motorway on slip, so they couldn't have been overhead on the slip bridge.
They did state they were behind me but didn't clarify if that was stationary or in motion. Even if off on the hard shoulder, they would have been hard pressed to fire a gun across 5 lanes of motorway with the traffic that was on it at the time.
Pete D
The device is only approved to be used when stationary. -72 means you were moving away from the gun and 160 will be the distance at which you were pinged. A road side stop if the most difficult to defend. Do you question the speed. Prior to Junction 13 is a police parking area and I suspect they were parked up there and pinged you from the rear. Pete D
chrisash32
QUOTE (Pete D @ Fri, 29 Apr 2011 - 13:48) *
The device is only approved to be used when stationary. -72 means you were moving away from the gun and 160 will be the distance at which you were pinged. A road side stop if the most difficult to defend. Do you question the speed. Prior to Junction 13 is a police parking area and I suspect they were parked up there and pinged you from the rear. Pete D

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply. This must have been where they were then. However I have just checked the vehicle tracking logs for my vehicle and I have multiple track logs traversing between j12 and j14 showing a speed of 55mph. This has rather confused me. Q
SCTomkinson
QUOTE (chrisash32 @ Fri, 29 Apr 2011 - 14:43) *
QUOTE (Pete D @ Fri, 29 Apr 2011 - 13:48) *

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply. This must have been where they were then. However I have just checked the vehicle tracking logs for my vehicle and I have multiple track logs traversing between j12 and j14 showing a speed of 55mph. This has rather confused me. Q

I would expand on your last point 'tracking logs' so that the more enlightened can assist you if there is any mileage in that.

Steve
Pete D
Tracking logs only show the instantaneuos speed when the log sample was taken. What equipment were you using. Pete D
glasgow_bhoy
QUOTE (chrisash32 @ Fri, 29 Apr 2011 - 12:57) *
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Fri, 29 Apr 2011 - 12:31) *

they didn't state they were parked up and it allegedly happened near J13, which is a motorway on slip, so they couldn't have been overhead on the slip bridge.
They did state they were behind me but didn't clarify if that was stationary or in motion. Even if off on the hard shoulder, they would have been hard pressed to fire a gun across 5 lanes of motorway with the traffic that was on it at the time.

I'd put money on it they were sitting (presuming you were going westbound) at the left hand side of the motorway, where the A80 etc joins onto the M8 before George Square etc. The road is a '>' shape, and they sit right in the middle, on an elevated and kinda well hidden police space on the motorway. Regualarly have a patrol car sitting here, slowing everybody just going into the 50 from the 60 (can also be seen just inside the 60, in a big bit of space on the lefthand side, near the high flats)
ascender
I was caught last night on the same stretch. I'd just joined the M8 later last night and was sitting at a constant 70 but hadn't noticed the 50 mph section. I did notice the patrol car which proceeded to follow for a few miles as we went in to the 60mph section and pulled me over after that.

Was told that I wasn't driving carelessly or dangerously, but that they had to give me a ticket regardless. They went through their calibrated speedo chat and the usual stuff before issuing the fixed penalty notice.

Annoyed at myself to be honest for not spotting the 50 signs, but given the conditions its a bit annoying to have lost the clean license. Live and learn I guess.
glasgow_bhoy
QUOTE (ascender @ Sun, 1 May 2011 - 12:22) *
I was caught last night on the same stretch. I'd just joined the M8 later last night and was sitting at a constant 70 but hadn't noticed the 50 mph section. I did notice the patrol car which proceeded to follow for a few miles as we went in to the 60mph section and pulled me over after that.

Was told that I wasn't driving carelessly or dangerously, but that they had to give me a ticket regardless. They went through their calibrated speedo chat and the usual stuff before issuing the fixed penalty notice.

Annoyed at myself to be honest for not spotting the 50 signs, but given the conditions its a bit annoying to have lost the clean license. Live and learn I guess.

No good reason for that limit... only at rush hour to cope with the volume of traffic joining... night time 80 would be safe the whole way :/
ascender
QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Mon, 2 May 2011 - 01:03) *
No good reason for that limit... only at rush hour to cope with the volume of traffic joining... night time 80 would be safe the whole way :/

That's what I thought but its my fault for not being attentive to the changing speed limits. I couldn't even be bothered questioning them or mentioning that point as the fact they pulled me over and their tone meant they were obviously going to book me no matter what. Its one of those situations I'd have thought a warning would have been appropriate.

What's more annoying is when they were following me I had to swerve out of my lane to avoid a guy in a Merc who was on his phone and veered over towards me.

It was just one of those days I guess.
shambolic
Bits of the M8 are 40 limit too!!!!
Going by the Airport is 70-50-40-60-70 all in a 2 mile stretch. Hard to keep track
peterguk
QUOTE (ascender @ Mon, 2 May 2011 - 11:04) *
Its one of those situations I'd have thought a warning would have been appropriate.

The large terminal signs warn of the start of a new limit. Were they in place?
ascender
I just can't remember. I came on at the Junction 16 area going Eastbound having come from Milngavie and I'll be honest, just kind of went on to auto pilot as it was so quiet traffic wise and no weather worries.

I remember specifically when the limit went down to a 60 and adjusted my speed but by then the polis had been following me for a bit. Not sure why they didn't just pull me over then, they sat on my tail for a good bit after that even though I was at the right speed by then.
glasgow_bhoy
QUOTE (peterguk @ Mon, 2 May 2011 - 12:29) *
Its one of those situations I'd have thought a warning would have been appropriate.

For the 50 parts, yes. Only place where I'm unsure of the signage is at the Airport 40 area.
shambolic
QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Tue, 3 May 2011 - 10:56) *
QUOTE (peterguk @ Mon, 2 May 2011 - 12:29) *

For the 50 parts, yes. Only place where I'm unsure of the signage is at the Airport 40 area.

They are there at both ends, just before the Paisley cut off and just at the Spur where it joins the airport.
ascender
Was back on this road yesterday and there's two or three of the standard circular 50mph signs on the right hand side of the carriageway, but even when looking out for them they're easy to miss. Given its 5 lanes and only a few miles long, I still can't believe I got done for that speed under those conditions at that time of night.

Anyway, lesson learned, got my 3 points and SP50 on the license now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.