Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for speeding, what should I do?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Georgie!
Hi,
I received a NIP that was issued/dated more than 14 days after the offense written on the NIP. I reside in Tucson, Arizona. I understand that the NIP must be received within 14 days to be valid, and in my case, the NIP is time-barred. Should I simply ignore the NIP or go on with my life, or should I send a letter to the courthouse with the NIP FILLED OUT/NOT FILLED OUT saying that the NIP is time-barred and that it is invalid?
THANK YOU!
southpaw82
Ok... which police force is the NIP from?

As a vehicle can not be registered to an address outside of the UK this won't be the first NIP in the chain. It is only the first NIP that must be served within 14 days.
Georgie!
Well, I currently live and the car is registered in Arizona. I don't understand your post, southpaw82...
Logician
Only the first NIP has to be received within 14 days, and that woulod go to the registered keeper. I take it that you are not the registered keeper since you live in Arizona, and it was a hired or borrowed car?
southpaw82
QUOTE (Georgie! @ Sat, 16 Apr 2011 - 23:30) *
Well, I currently live and the car is registered in Arizona. I don't understand your post, southpaw82...

Is the NIP from a police force in the UK? rolleyes.gif
Georgie!
I am the registered keeper and driver of the car. I live in Arizona, maybe I was confused that this forum is only for the UK?

And no it is not, southpaw. It is from a police force in Arizona, the same county i live in.
southpaw82
There's your problem... this forum is for the UK only (in the sense that nobody here has any clue about the traffic code in AZ, so far as I know).
Georgie!
Oh that is my fault then. But just generally, I understand that a law says that the NIP must be dated/issued/received? within 14 days of the offense. Let's just say that it is invalid, what action should i take?
Logician
QUOTE (Georgie! @ Sat, 16 Apr 2011 - 23:44) *
Oh that is my fault then. But just generally, I understand that a law says that the NIP must be dated/issued/received? within 14 days of the offense. Let's just say that it is invalid, what action should i take?

That is UK law applying to alleged offences committed in the UK, there is no reason to assume the relevant provisions in Arizona are similar in any way.
southpaw82
No idea. Have a look at the Arizona Revised Statutes, Title 28, Chapter 3, Article 3 - here. You want ss 28-701 onwards. That deals with speed limits. Also look further down the page to Chapter 5, this deals with the procedures for traffic violations.

I can find no requirement under ARS to serve a notice within 14 days (sixty seems to be the time limit).
Georgie!
Thank you for the links southpaw, where did you see the 60 day limit?
southpaw82
28-1592
Georgie!
Thank you very much, i guess they got me...

Also, it says on 5. that if it was by a speeding camera, they have 120 days. That's the answer i was looking for i guess.
cieranc
Above and beyond as always Mr Southpaw biggrin.gif
Durzel
This forum URL must be getting passed about somewhere on a US website, this is the second US-based post on here today.
The Rookie
Actually, look at the OP date, this was the first!

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.