Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street name confusion
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Mr Warren
Hi all and I hope you are all well. It's been some time since my last successful claim against Liverpool City Council (Daughter in tears).

Anyway last Saturday I was parked in a street right in front of an unmarked concrete dropped kerb (I actually thought the dropped kerb was to facilitate the exit from the house I was parked outside) and when I got back there was a nice PCN on my screen for "Parking in a special enforcement area adjacent to a dropped kerb". Fair cop I thought until I investigated the area on Google maps.

The PCN gives the street as "Newcastle Terrace" when Google map, via michelin etc. give the name of the street as "Station Terrace". Newcastle Terrace being a small Cul de Sac about 700 yards away.
On close inspection of the Google map picture, there is actually a street name carved in stone set in the wall of a house at first floor level (just above to where my car was parked) that actually say "Newcastle Terrace" and can only assume that dates from way back in time.

So how do I stand???

Is the street name quoted on PCN important?
Can they use the old name of the street for the offense?
Are there special marking for a dropped kerb ?
Also the PCN only shows one time (time of effraction) are they not suppose to give me 4 minutes ???
On further inspection, there is a "Safe crossing point" sign clamped to a road sign. The safe crossing point sign faces the houses (ie. literraly against their raillings).

Many thanks for your input and advice.
Gan
Post up the PCN, all pages, with your personal details removed.

If they've quoted the wrong location it's a winner but you need a better authority for the street name. Check a map at the council offices or find out what name the Post Office uses.
Neil B
Best definition to check must surely be the TRO? -- IF there is one for the location.
Mr Warren
Here we go:...

Alexis
Wrong location is fatal. Write back stating "The contravention did not occur. The PCN states the alleged contravention occurred on Newcastle Terrace, whereas the vehicle was located on Station Terrace".
Mr Warren
That's what I thought.....I will go back tomorrow and knock on a couple doors asking if the spot is called "Newcastle Terrace" (which is shown as being somewhere else on all search engines) or "Station Terrace"
DancingDad
QUOTE (Mr Warren @ Fri, 25 Mar 2011 - 17:57) *
That's what I thought.....I will go back tomorrow and knock on a couple doors asking if the spot is called "Newcastle Terrace" (which is shown as being somewhere else on all search engines) or "Station Terrace"

Check the name plates at the end of the road. They should give the definitive name.
Names carved into building masonary and streetview names cannot be relied on.
Bluedart
Is no one aware that a local authority has to keep a street name register.
Ask to see it .
Mr Warren
Just back from my second visit.....The street sign "Newcastle Terrace" engraved in stone, part of the house wall that I have described has been painted over some time back and either side 50 metres apart, there is the actual name of what the street is called. Newcastle Terrace is on the other side of the block.....I am therefore very confient of the outcome.
Glacier2
They are dead in the water so. But I would expect them to reject on some spurious grounds at first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.