Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Number plate contravention / procedural problem?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Buzby
Hi all,

Just a quick legal question as a situation which occurred yesterday has been bugging me.

Basically, I received a non-endorseable ticket from a copper for having a small number plate affixed to the front of my car. I'm bang to rights, although my car struggles with cooling if I put on a full size plate, but I've run the risk for a while now and that's my problem. So I'm OK to pay the £60 fine within the 28 day window, with the exception of the following...

...the copper didn't actually pull me over. I was on a one-way system following the squad car, he pulled into another lane, I passed, he pulled into my lane behind me. I continued (with him just following and not attempting to pull me over) and pulled into my local bank's (private) car park as planned. Got out of my car and was walking into the bank itself when he shouted at me and started the ticketing process, followed by taking a photo of the offending number plate.

My question is - can he do this in a private car park and without requesting me to pull over in the first place?

TIA,
Buzby
Pancras
QUOTE (Buzby @ Fri, 11 Mar 2011 - 14:41) *
My question is - can he do this in a private car park and without requesting me to pull over in the first place?

Yes.
jambmw
Get a ticket like this 3 times, the DVLA may take your plate off you and give you a rubbish replacement!! (which some insurance companies apparently don't like, but don't know if that is true or not).
captain swoop
why not? he saw you on the road and you saw him.

just to add. How does a number plate interfere with you engine cooling?
Buzby
QUOTE (jambmw @ Fri, 11 Mar 2011 - 16:36) *
Get a ticket like this 3 times, the DVLA may take your plate off you and give you a rubbish replacement!! (which some insurance companies apparently don't like, but don't know if that is true or not).

I don't have a private plate if that is what you mean, so that's of no concern to me, my plate is already rubbish!

QUOTE (captain swoop @ Fri, 11 Mar 2011 - 16:39) *
How does a number plate interfere with you engine cooling?

I have a sports car with a very small air intake on the front, unfortunately the positioning of the number plate is such that a large legal plate covers the intake area which means that the engine struggles with overheating, particularly in traffic. Quite a few people with the same car as me tend to take the same approach of having a smaller plate and running the risk. Funnily enough a fair few remove the plate altogether due to the penalty being the same!

QUOTE (captain swoop @ Fri, 11 Mar 2011 - 16:39) *
why not? he saw you on the road and you saw him.

It was just a question of procedure to be honest. What really irked me was the fact that whilst he was writing the ticket, there were cars parked all around mine with dodgy plates (front and back) so I wondered whether it was worth a fight. That's the luck of the draw though I guess, as I said at the start, guilty as charged.
jobo
its not a yanky car is it, i believe there is a dispensation for some private imports re front plate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.