Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EU license caught speeding
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
michel
Hi All,

I have a french license, I am french, and am a UK resident . I am registered with DVLA for a while.
I got caught speeding at 35 m/h when the limit was 30 m/h.

Any idea how these things go nowadays? I would like to avoid paying too much because they can't take off the points out of a french license ....

Thanks
nemo
You will either be offered a Speed Awareness Course (fee payable, but no points), or a Fixed Penalty (3 points & £60).

If you are awarded points, these will be recorded to a computerised Driver's Record which will be created for you by DVLA, the body which administers driving licences (amongst other things).

Note that if you accumulate more than 11 penalty points on your Driver's Record within any 3 year period, you are liable to be banned from driving in the UK for 6 months.

roythebus
You can't get a fixed penalty with a foreign licence.
jobo
QUOTE (roythebus @ Wed, 9 Mar 2011 - 15:03) *

oh yes you can
nemo
QUOTE (roythebus @ Wed, 9 Mar 2011 - 15:03) *

They can if they have been pulled at the time - Road Safety Act 2006, sections 8 & 9.

However, I'm not convinced that the same arrangement exists for Conditional Offers of Fixed Penalty issued in accordance with s.75 Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.

Since michel would have qualified to be dealt with by CoFP (assuming no awareness course), then he might consider applying for a GB counterpart to his French licence - form here. This should avoid the requirement to attend court, assuming that no course is offered and, as a non-GB licence holder, he would be unable to be issued a CoFP.
squaredeal
Since 1 April 2009 the DVLA no longer issue GB counterparts to the EU licence.

Instead the FPO will submit the driver details from the driver's licence to the DVLA - Name, Date of Birth, Country of Issue, Valid from date, and Licence number. The DVLA will create a driver record (aka ghost record) from these details if there is not already one.

Prior to 1 April 2009, a holder of an EU licence who did not have the counterpart could not accept a Fixed Penalty, whether from a roadside stop or from a camera offence, and the matter had to be heard in court regardless. Waste of everybody's time. However, since that date, any non-GB licence holder can take a fixed penalty, and have points added to the DVLA driver record.

From the OP initial statement he already has one - either as the result of a voluntary application prior to 1 April 2009, or by having racked up points at some time before or since that date.

As long as the OP hasn't reached 9 current points yet, he'll be fine to take a 3 pointer, although his English seems good enough to take a SAC without dragging along an interpreter, if eligible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.