Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wife was in labour and i was caught on a gatso. help ?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
wellard
Hi

I was recenlty snapped doing 60 in a 50 by an average speed camera.
I was on my way to work when i got a call from my partner telling me that she was going into labour with our second child.
I was about 30 miles from home and was panicking a bit as you would, so i guess I must have lost concentration as i was anxious to get home as there had been complications with our first childs birth.
Our bundle of joy arrived 24 hours later and then about a week after that, i received a speeding ticket.

I have a clean license and normally stick to the speed limit.

Obviously I know I was in the wrong, but will there be any leniancy if i appeal?
I can obtain written evidence from our midwife to confirm the birth and date etc

Any advice would be appreciated

many thanks
Gan
At that speed you can either expect a COFP - £60 and 3 points, or a Speed Awareness Course in the region of £80.

Agree that we would all have done the same under the circumstances, but it wasn't life-or-death so mitigation won't get a penalty that's any less than this.

Return the form naming yourself within the 28 days and see what they offer.

Congratulations, by the way.
wellard
Thanks for the reply Gan

I thought as much, but not sure where i stood.

All the best
norahl
You could try pleading guilty in court and see if they will not endorse and fine you because of the circumstances but it isn't always a successful tactic.
If you could say you were a doctor, gynaecologist or midwife it would be helpful but I suspect that isn't the case.
Happyhippy
QUOTE (norahl @ Sat, 5 Mar 2011 - 15:14) *
You could try pleading guilty in court and see if they will not endorse and fine you because of the circumstances but it isn't always a successful tactic.
If you could say you were a doctor, gynaecologist or midwife it would be helpful but I suspect that isn't the case.

I would be very careful on that point. my good friend and neighbour was caught speeding on his way to Ashworh Hospital in Liverpool after his emergency pager went off, he is a consultant psychiatric doctor, he fought the law and lost, the magistrates even increased the fine.

He didn't tell me what the emergency was and when asked by the magistrates couldn't even tell them, something to do with the official secrets act. I think they thought he was playing silly B*ggers and made an example of him.
jobo
QUOTE (Happyhippy @ Sat, 5 Mar 2011 - 17:41) *
He didn't tell me what the emergency was and when asked by the magistrates couldn't even tell them, something to do with the official secrets act.

yep the james bond defence seldom works, he should have asked to give evidence from behind a screen
southpaw82
QUOTE (Happyhippy @ Sat, 5 Mar 2011 - 17:41) *
He didn't tell me what the emergency was and when asked by the magistrates couldn't even tell them, something to do with the official secrets act. I think they thought he was playing silly B*ggers and made an example of him.

I agree with them!
greeny81
nothing to do with Official secrets act. He can't revel the nature of the emergency to a court as he would be breaking the Hippocratic Oath and he could be struck off for that.
jobo
QUOTE (greeny81 @ Sat, 5 Mar 2011 - 18:06) *
nothing to do with Official secrets act. He can't revel the nature of the emergency to a court as he would be breaking the Hippocratic Oath and he could be struck off for that.

makes all those murder trials difficult then

well dr smith, you were called out to an emergency, was was wrong with the patient,,, cant say your honour
greeny81
He can't reveal it without the patients or relatives permission if the patient is not able to give permission. I know someone who is currently in the process of getting his GP struck off for discussing his health with his employer without permission.

Try google.
jobo
i think thats cover by the rules of evidence in a court setting, even then its not the hippo oath
southpaw82
I suspect you are talking rubbish (as he would not be identifying the patient in any way shape or form) and it's off topic in any case.
roythebus
Vehicle being used as an ambulance is usually a good reason for mitigating circumstances, had the mrs been in it at the time. Some births CAN be a case of life or death, but I suspect in this case, it would have been better to call a real ambulance. worth a try though.
chadders
but it wasn't life-or-death

Given the initial post and the outcome I'd have thought it was clearly "life" wink.gif

Congratulations, clean licence - 3 points - least of your worries now though... welcome to the land of the living dead!
roadrunner 163
Although you do not have a defence to this why don't you send a coy of the birth certificate in with a picture of you newborn... you may get leniency from the cto if its received in good spirit. probably not but its not going to hurt to try!
Complete the 172 properly and be blatant that your asking for leniency due to the happy occasion so their is no confusion that you discharged your duty to name the driver....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.