Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aggressive driving
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
slinkysaddler
ok driving home i was stuck behind a 20mph driver.. so when i come to dual traffic lights the slow driver goes into the outside overtaking lane.. so the lights turns green and the bloody slow driver stays doing 20mph so i rev my engine and get a little aggressive and a little close to him (i did not overtake).. well the police spot this and pull me over !! After a ticking off the fine slip comes out.. well he said i cant fine you as its not listed on the fine form.. so with that he says im now going to be reported for
Dangerous Driving..

and reads me my rights..
then he opens the door and tells me to get out and drives off... leaving me with what is going to happen now.. no paper work nothing.. can somebody tell me if this sounds ok.. ?
Regards
jon
Pete D
How could you not overtaken him, you were on his inside so you would have undertaken him. He need to exaplain a lot more clearly. Pete D
jobo
there is noway what youve( said) youve done is dangerous driving ?, with out building you hopes up,, it sound like a bolliking and a wind up to me,, but you wont know for a mind blowing 8 months if he was kidding you up or not
big_mac
tailgating can be classed as dangerous driving.
'getting a little agressive' could mean all sorts of other things that could also be construed as dangerous.
jobo
QUOTE (big_mac @ Sun, 13 Feb 2011 - 22:25) *
tailgating can be classed as dangerous driving.
'getting a little agressive' could mean all sorts of other things that could also be construed as dangerous.

not at 20 mph it cant, 120 you might have a point
slinkysaddler
QUOTE (Pete D @ Sun, 13 Feb 2011 - 22:04) *
How could you not overtaken him, you were on his inside so you would have undertaken him. He need to exaplain a lot more clearly. Pete D
the slow driver was in front of me in the right hand overtaking lane that filtered in a single lane..
big_mac
but anyway, no they don't need to give you any paperwork.
You may (probably) get a summons sometime within the next 6 or 7 months.
Kickaha
If it was two lanes going down to one, if you were close enough to make it difficult/dangerous for the other driver to filter in that MAY be seen as dangerous.
jobo
QUOTE (Kickaha @ Sun, 13 Feb 2011 - 23:13) *
If it was two lanes going down to one, if you were close enough to make it difficult/dangerous for the other driver to filter in that MAY be seen as dangerous.

only if youve never read the defintion of dangerous driving,, or the op is being extremly economical with the truth
slushpuppy
I dont think the speed is that relevant to tailgating being dangerous?
6 inches from the car infront at 20 is probably just as dangerous as 6 metres at 120.

OP admits "so i rev my engine and get a little aggressive and a little close to him "
Depends on what the Police actually saw and heard. Sounds a bit like road rage to me.

It may be a bit of a frightener. Just wait and see I'm afraid.

big_mac
the following examples are typical of what we are likely to regard as dangerous driving:

aggressive driving, such as sudden lane changes, cutting into a line of vehicles, or driving much too close to the vehicle in front;
jobo
QUOTE (slushpuppy @ Sun, 13 Feb 2011 - 23:21) *
I dont think the speed is that relevant to tailgating being dangerous?
6 inches from the car infront at 20 is probably just as dangerous as 6 metres at 120.

you are joking how long has 18 odd foot been tail gating,, you could get a van in that gap
Logician
If you do eventually get a summons it will be for careless driving or equivalent, I would bet. If you have described what you did correctly there is no way it reaches the dengerous level. Pretty dumb to do it in front of coppers though!
slushpuppy
120mph is 176 feet per second,
Assuming reaction time is 0.7 of a second 123 feet will be covered in this time (ie before your foot ever gets near to moving to the brake pedal)
And 18 odd feet's not tailgating? I beg to differ.
peterguk
QUOTE (slushpuppy @ Sun, 13 Feb 2011 - 23:42) *
120mph is 176 feet per second,

So? OP was doing 20mph.
jobo
if your doing a 120 18ft behind a car, then if he isnt also doing 120 your in an accident, allowing that the car in front is going to take as long to stop as you are, its not even close,,, so what the legal defintion of tail gating and how is a crash at 20 any where near as dangerous as one at 120
slushpuppy
"So? OP was doing 20mph"

Correct. I was getting sidetracked by Jobo's claim that 6m behind at 120mph was not tailgating. Not much help to the OP I know.
The post should get back on track.
jobo
quote name='slushpuppy' date='Sun, 13 Feb 2011 - 23:50' post='560066']
"So? OP was doing 20mph"

Correct. I was getting sidetracked by Jobo's claim that 6m behind at 120mph was not tailgating. Not much help to the OP I know.
The post should get back on track.
[/quote]

what,,, it was your claim that it was that got us off track

the ops vertion of events, driving too close at TWENTY and being a ''bit agressive, falls a long way short of dangerous driving

people jumping on it, saying that it might be, or just inventing other scenarios that the op might have done, isnt helping him

if it come out that he is charged with DD on these circumstance my advice would be to plead not guilt, as far worst driving than this has failed to reach the evidencial standard required to prove dangerous

slushpuppy
Just read Jobo's last post. My reply would not be helpful to he OP but i would be happy to continue the discusion in the flamepit if needed.
davepoth
Indeed, the OP's description doesn't sound quite enough for Dangerous Driving. But since it was a police pull rather than a report by a driver it's anybody's guess as to what will happen.
CuriousOrange
If it were an HGV tailgating at 20 mph it could be dangerous...
roadrunner 163
QUOTE (slinkysaddler @ Sun, 13 Feb 2011 - 21:51) *
ok driving home i was stuck behind a 20mph driver.. so when i come to dual traffic lights the slow driver goes into the outside overtaking lane.. so the lights turns green and the bloody slow driver stays doing 20mph so i rev my engine and get a little aggressive and a little close to him (i did not overtake).. well the police spot this and pull me over !! After a ticking off the fine slip comes out.. well he said i cant fine you as its not listed on the fine form.. so with that he says im now going to be reported for
Dangerous Driving..

and reads me my rights..
then he opens the door and tells me to get out and drives off... leaving me with what is going to happen now.. no paper work nothing.. can somebody tell me if this sounds ok.. ?
Regards
jon

years ago you could get a fixed penalty for careless driving. I think this was what the officer was looking for.
Worth considering that since they have been gone some time he is not traffic orientated.
This will beg the question when did he last bother to summons some one at all.....

I agree with Jobo. The level of driving has not fallen far below that of a reasonable and competant driver and the cps guildelines require more than slow speed tail gating as the danger posed at 20 is much less than 50 70 or 120. Considering that dangerous is an imprisonable offence and 12 ban minimum the dangerous act needs to be substansive and the standard to be far below that of a reasonable driver.

I honestly think it was a scare tactic but one i would take on board. This act can put you before the mags and can see you found guilty os a sec 3 rta offence careless / inconsiderate driving but on the bibs actions i would be surprised if it came through your letterbox from this description.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.