Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what distance must a speed limit sign be visible from?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
maddogsx
Pulled last weekend for allegedly doing 34 in what used to be a 30 now reduced to 20.

The traffic officer's were decent and had pulled a fair few other drivers on the same stretch of road, which they informed me had been reduced from 30 to 20 aprox 6 months ago.

There is no dispute whatsoever regarding the alleged speed, but since they said they had parameters they could work with and my speed was such that they had to report me to the proc fiscal. What is the minimum required distance a change in spped limit sign must be visible from? The sign i', questioning is sat in tight to a large building and is obscured untill you enter a roundabout whereupon it would be reasonable to assume that most people would be to concerned with safely negotiating the roundabout as to look out for what is essentially a tucked away sign.
peterguk
Only one 20mph sign?

Lets see a GoogleMap view..
maddogsx
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=55.461382,...YQi8VnkpTX203Tw

sign is tucked into building on left hand side
peterguk
Travel along the Google line, and the view of BOTH signs as you leave roundabout looks good to me. See what others say.
andy_foster
Terminal signs (for a lower speed limit) must be clearly visible from far enough away to enable drivers to slow down to within the lower limit by or before the start of the limit (Coombes v DPP).
justforthepictures
QUOTE (maddogsx @ Thu, 10 Feb 2011 - 02:01) *
The sign i', questioning is sat in tight to a large building and is obscured untill you enter a roundabout whereupon it would be reasonable to assume that most people would be to concerned with safely negotiating the roundabout as to look out for what is essentially a tucked away sign.

What are you saying the signage is obscured by?
mjkerr
QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 10 Feb 2011 - 02:05) *
Only one 20mph sign?

Single 20mph signs are common under the temporary speed reduction measures
The 20mph sign is on the left, normally applied by the use of flashing lights
At the end of the temporary speed restriction the resumption speed (normally 30mph or 40mph) is on the right

Howeve at this location there were originally signs on both sides, they can clearly be seen in front of the FedEx van
Pancras
Signs are clearly visible on both sides of the road, with an unofficial 'repeater' painted in the road. I think you will struggle to say the signs aren't visible, or given that you would have been leaving a roundabout that you didn't have sufficient time to adjust your speed.
mjkerr
QUOTE (maddogsx @ Thu, 10 Feb 2011 - 02:01) *
What is the minimum required distance a change in spped limit sign must be visible from?

Took me a while to try and find anything specific to this
There are minimum distances for traffic lights and junctions, but nothing specific to speed limit signs
However, there are minimum and maximum distances between the sign and road

Hidden in the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, "visible from the road"
Therefore, the minimum could be classed as that shortest distance

It could also be possible for such signs to be hidden, including trees, passing traffic, etc
The Rookie
Noting that its a 20mph limit and not a 20mph zone (which requires traffic calming) I notice a distinct lack of the required repeaters.......

Simon
V70pilot
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 11 Feb 2011 - 10:59) *
Noting that its a 20mph limit and not a 20mph zone (which requires traffic calming) I notice a distinct lack of the required repeaters.......

Simon
If you look on the left side on the third lamp post there is a repeater...sorry Simon...you need to look for signs properly
maddogsx
I'm up in the district court later this month for being clocked at 34 in a 20. Will there be any chance of a speed awareness course or is it 3 points and £60 inevitable now?

Got a clean (no points) Lic and this si my first speeding offence. My lawyer had previously got cases thrown out due to the signage being not as it should be but that was a few weeks before I was caught, I know I was doing 34 but genuinely didn't know it had been changed to a 20 zone.
nemo
QUOTE (maddogsx @ Mon, 7 Mar 2011 - 09:06) *
I'm up in the district court later this month for being clocked at 34 in a 20. Will there be any chance of a speed awareness course or is it 3 points and £60 inevitable now?

There is zero chance of a SAC being offered - 1) no such courses are available in Scotland, 2) the speed alleged would be beyond the threshold for a SAC anyway, and 3) the matter has already been proceeded to court.

And now that the matter will be heard by the PF, the penalties may be higher than the standard fixed penalty of 3 points & £60.

Have you entered a plea yet ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.