Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late NIP recieved
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
smyrk
I was driving my grandads car (grandad is the RK) and got caught by a mobile van doing 35 in a 30.

i got caught on the 12th the NIP recieved to my grandads address on the 28th and they didnt process the NIP until 27th. so am i right in thinking that it was out of the 14 day rule

The only thing i dont understand is whether or not my grandad should fill the form in and send it back and then when i recieve my NIP send them the RAC letter. Or my grandad just send them the RAC letter.

if you could tell me what you think i would be better off doing i would really appreciate the help cheers
Pancras
How long has your grandad owned the car? Is he named as RK on the log book with DVLA (and not a vehicle lease company, or motability)?

He must still respond in any event. You could ask him to delay responding until closer to the 28 day deadline.
andy_foster
Are your granddad's details correct and current on his V5C? What is the date after the DocRef. No. at the bottom of page 2 of his V5C?
smyrk
yeah he's the registered owner has been since novermber and his details are all correct.
peterguk
As requested by AF, what is the "docref" date on the V5C?
smyrk
i haven't got it here at the min, but what does that ref mean.
peterguk
It's the date that DVLA "officially" registered the new RK details, which can often vary wildly when compared with what the owner thinks.
andy_foster
QUOTE (smyrk @ Mon, 31 Jan 2011 - 21:08) *
i haven't got it here at the min, but what does that ref mean.

It also means that in order to answer the question, you need to physically have the V5C in your hands (or be speaking to someone else who does).
The overwhelming majority of people who receive a NIP issued slightly too late to be served within the 14 days, and who absolutely definitely are the Registered Keeper (or registered owner in your granddad's case - despite their being no such thing) don't have the V5C because they aren't actually the Registered Keeper.

Is your case the exception that proves the rule?
smyrk
So are you sayin that even though the cars been registered to him since november he might not be the registered owner?
And will this mean that i cant get away with sendng them the RAC letter? sorry for being abit vague but its first time something like this has happend, i will try and get the docu ref number tomoro
smyrk
hi ive just looked on the v5 for my own car and i see what your sayin about the date i bought the car being different to the date at the bottm.
I will definaltey get the date off my grandads logbook tomoro but what exactly am i looking for, has the date got to before 12-1-2011 (the date i got caught)
peterguk
QUOTE (smyrk @ Mon, 31 Jan 2011 - 22:11) *
has the date got to before 12-1-2011 (the date i got caught)

yes. Whilst you have it in your hand, please check name and full address is absolutely correct.
smyrk
ano this is soudning worse and worse everytime i post but my grandad seems to have misplaced the logbook. is there anyway i can find otu what date he became the RK other than the logbook
The Rookie
No, maybe he can get that info from DVLA though.

Has he definately had it? Or could teh car still be registered to the previous RK?

Simon
Pete D
Is this perhaps a mobility car. Pete D
smyrk
Well this is what were thinking maybe he hasnt had it yet because he did only buy the car in november so were not sure and he cant remeber.
If he wasnt the RK though how come the speeding ticket came to him and his address??? im starting to think ill be better off jsut hopingi can do the speed awareness course which i think i will as i was doin 35 in a 30 and its the first time ive every been done.
Although it really annoys me that there may be away out of it i realise it would be so much easier if the car was in my name
andy_foster
If he isn't recorded as the RK on the DVLA database, assuming that there was a previous RK, the first NIP would be sent to them, and they would have nominated the person that they sold it to.

Did he buy the car brand new or second hand? If second hand, did he buy it from a dealer or privately?
smyrk
he bought it second hand from bloke that buys and sell a few cars so i would think it was in the trade but it wasnt from a forecourt gargae if you get what i mean
Pete D
I assume you are insured to drive this car. ? Pete D.
smyrk
yes i am covered on my motor trade policy as i was taking it to clean it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.