Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: long awaited debt collectors letter has arrived!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
bungleuk
Hello all

I have posted before about a private parking ticket i received, but under a different username, and now the dreaded letter from Roxburghe has arrived, I want to ask advice without giving away who I am, which my previous username did (stupidly!!).

I parked in a car-park back in October, and was ticketed for parking in a restricted section of the car park. when I looked the following day there were two sets of white line markings, one old, one new, and I had apparently parked within the confines of the old ones (at 90degs to the new ones).

It was 10pm and there were no other cars in the car park when I arrived, and when I left at 1am. However, the following day was a business day and the car park was in use by the company's employees who own it, and they were all parked the same way I was.

Since then, my house mate has got a job there and we have a parking permit, and he says cars park the way I did every day!!

I've had two brightly coloured warnings through the post, one in Oct, and one in Nov, and duly ignored them as suggested. However a letter came from Roxburghe today, threatening me to legal action with Graham White if I don't cough up!

I don't want to be the first person to get dragged through court, and I suppose I'm just seeking reassurance!

Should I wipe my bum with this letter and continue to ignore??

Many Thanks all

Bungleuk (not my real name, obv!) smile.gif
orford
QUOTE (bungleuk @ Fri, 14 Jan 2011 - 21:34) *
However a letter came from Roxburghe today, threatening me to legal action with Graham White if I don't cough up!
Standard bo**ox. That's all it is....a threat

I don't want to be the first person to get dragged through court, and I suppose I'm just seeking reassurance!

Absolutely, just file and ignore.
Gan
You would indeed be the first person taken to court by the fictitious Mr White.

File and ignore. If you get letters from GW that threaten court but then don't carry it out, send them to the SRA to add to their bulging file of complaints about the company.

bungleuk
Not to seem naive, but who, or what, is SRA??

Bungle
Alexis
Solicitors Regulation Authority
bungleuk
Thanks Alexis,

My next Q is, how will I know they have finally given up chasing this fictitious debt? I though they already had as the last colourful piece of toilet paper that came through my door was in Nov.
Is this just going to keep on happening??

Bungleuk
Glacier2
You will get 2 from Graham White and then a final plea from Roxbrughe.
JSB1
Add as Contact. mellow.gif

Edited to correct errant URL embedding
Aretnap
QUOTE (bungleuk @ Fri, 14 Jan 2011 - 22:42) *
My next Q is, how will I know they have finally given up chasing this fictitious debt?

The fact that it's been referred to Roxburghe is a pretty good sign that anyone who matters has given up chasing it. Nobody can say for sure whether any particular letter will be the last, or whether they'll send another one when they think of another empty threat to make, but if anyone thought it was enforceable, they wouldn't have sold it for a few pence in the poubd to a company at the botom of the debt collection food chain.
bama
dreaded letter ? ?

dreadful letter more like.
emanresu

Very erudite. I assume you've read Voltaire's words on this.
JSB1
QUOTE (emanresu @ Sat, 15 Jan 2011 - 01:28) *

As I'm a suitably militant atheist, Voltaire appeals, but I don't recall any of his quip wiping here. Could you have been referring to "One always begins with that which is simple, then follows that which is complex, and finally - by superior enlightenment - one often reverts to the simple. Such is the course of human intelligence."?
bungleuk
QUOTE (JSB1 @ Fri, 14 Jan 2011 - 22:59) *
Add as Contact. mellow.gif

Edited to correct errant URL embedding

I take it this is "Graham White"....why on earth would I want to add him as a contact?!?
DancingDad
QUOTE (JSB1 @ Sat, 15 Jan 2011 - 13:25) *
QUOTE (emanresu @ Sat, 15 Jan 2011 - 01:28) *

As I'm a suitably militant atheist, Voltaire appeals, but I don't recall any of his quip wiping here. Could you have been referring to "One always begins with that which is simple, then follows that which is complex, and finally - by superior enlightenment - one often reverts to the simple. Such is the course of human intelligence."?

May not be exact words but along lines of.

Currently your letter is in front of me
Soon it will be behind me performing a more suitable purpose.
Gan
The nearest I can find to a source is Max Reger - Composer

I have your review in front of me etc

Voltaire had some very thought-provoking quotes though.
JSB1
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sat, 15 Jan 2011 - 17:37) *
Currently your letter is in front of me
Soon it will be behind me performing a more suitable purpose.

Thanks - brilliant! I learned something. What I found translated to: "Dear Sir, I am seated in the smallest room in the house. Your letter is before me. Soon it will be behind me." laugh.gif

QUOTE (bungleuk @ Sat, 15 Jan 2011 - 17:01) *
I take it this is "Graham White"....why on earth would I want to add him as a contact?!?
1) Yes, provided the quotation marks are made prominent.
and....
2) Purely for entertainment or education? That page solicits offers of work for, and business deals with, MS. If you wished you might be able to come up with something suitably inviting.
bungleuk
Hello all again,

I made a post not long since (previous post), and as expected, I now have a FINAL FINAL FINAL letter from Graham White.

Now I was totally committed to ignoring it, however, the wording of said letter is pretty convincing, see here....LETTER or on a different file hosting site here.... LETTER

Now I'm worried and for the sake of peace, I feel like paying up. I cannot afford what this letter suggests to actually happen!!

Help, please.... sad.gif

bungleuk
ManxRed
When you say 'see here' what are you referring to?
andy_foster
You've started a duplicate thread!
bungleuk
SORRY, post edited to include link to file

bungleuk
bungleuk
Edited...removed as I realised the answer to the question this post asked...sorry.
ManxRed
The internet police won't let me see that photo hosting website.
bungleuk
QUOTE (ManxRed @ Fri, 28 Jan 2011 - 18:17) *

Hosted on tinypic also .... LETTER
ManxRed
QUOTE (bungleuk @ Fri, 28 Jan 2011 - 18:38) *
QUOTE (ManxRed @ Fri, 28 Jan 2011 - 18:17) *

Hosted on tinypic also .... LETTER

Quite nicely worded - it sounds really threatening, but it doesn't actually state anything.

The consequences of litigation can indeed be far reaching. But they won't be in this case.
bungleuk
What I don't understand, that if what this, and apparently many other letters like it, are saying is a load of tosh, then how does someone who works in a regulated industry, and risks losing his right to practice, get away with sending these letters? Surely he must think he can win; what do I know, I have no legal defence knowledge to fight against this and if it did go to court, i couldn't afford the costs!

Is it genuinely such a good idea to ignore it?

bungle
ManxRed
He is under investigation by the SRA (Solicitors Regulation Authority).

Read the letter carefully, it doesn't actually say he'll do anything. It simply says that he is in a position to commence litigation. It then waffles on about what might possibly happen as a result of litigation - oh, and by the way, in the very unlikely event that he did take you to court, and in the even more unlikely event that he won, if you pay up within 28 days, NONE of the things he's listed will actually happen, so its all in your control.

He then says that in seven days he'll refer the matter. Where? To a court, or to his cat?

I would ignore it.
jaykay

Just because a letter doesn't have a Nigerian postmark, doesn't mean it isn't a scam.

This is a scam, you don't owe anything. If it would make you feel any better report it to the police. In New Zealand it would be classed as an attempt to use a document for pecuniary advantage - may be different in the UK - extortion?
hcandersen
Now I'm worried and for the sake of peace, I feel like paying up. I cannot afford what this letter suggests to actually happen!!

Help, please

But what do you want? We can't stop them writing to you, their system will grind on to its inevitable conclusion - silence.

You either have confidence in the advice or you don't. If you don't, pay them. But given that you've got free access to a vast well of parking knowledge, I wouldn't.

Get a thesaurus from your library (if you haven't got one already) and pass the time by trying to predict which threatening words they'll use next.

HCA

Glacier2
Ignore. Standard tosh from Sobell.
bungleuk
Ok,

I am feeling slightly better about this now. Would the police take me seriously, or laugh me out the door?

HCA, I do have confidence in the advice, still can't help feeling threatened though when a letter like that drops on your doorstep.

Bungleuk
Glacier2
The police would not give you the time of day on this one. "That's a civil matter, sir!" is all you will get.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.