Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN - Camden - Chalk Farm Road - Single Yellow Line
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
RoxJames
Hello

I was out last night, and whilst crawling along Camden High Street at 7.40pm, I saw an opportunity to park on a single yellow line at the beginning of Chalk Farm Road, shortly after the entry to the market and pedestrian crossing, in fact, I parked immediately after the zig zag lines.

When I returned to my car, I noticed I had a PCN with a time of 9.28pm stating that I had parked in a restricted zone during times of operation. I immediately checked for any signs on the yellow line to see if I had missed anything and there was nothing. I even strolled up the road a little further thinking there may be a sign further up but there was nothing immediately obvious.

Not only has it always been ok to park on a single yellow line after 6.30pm almost all over London (including Westminster), but I understood the law dictates that single yellow lines should be sign posted at the beginning and end of the sed line to showing the hours of Operation - I saw nothing but a traffic camera sign and signs for Controlled Parking zones on the side roads (previous postings on this forum have been about side roads), but there was nothing immediately obvious on Chalk Farm Road itself.

I have spent the morning trawling the internet to understand a little more about who is in the wrong, and I think from what I have read, especially on this forum that Camden Council are. From research, I think I should be ok to appeal this PCN on the following grounds:

1. There was no clear roadside signage at the point of parking showing the hours that they are operational. Neither were there signs visible from my car, nor signage indicating parking restrictions along the yellow line. I checked quite some distance up the road, exceeding the maximum 15 metre guideline.
2. I understand only from research on the internet (after the event) that Camden is a Controlled Parking Zone. However there was no indication of this whilst driving, ie, I was not aware that particular section of the road formed part of a CPZ as I do not recall seeing signs.
3. I was parked immediately after a junction where one way traffic can go either right, or straight ahead (Chalk Farm Road). At this point one way traffic becomes two way traffic and there is a pedestrian crossing with Zig Zag road markings.

Do you agree these are suitable grounds for appeal or is there anything else I should add to strengthen it?
DancingDad
Post the PCN please
See how to post pics in the stickies.

Sounds like you ran foul of a CPZ...we need to know which one and what restrictions.
You need to work out which sign you drove past?
Could you have entered zone wiithout passing sign (by any route) ??
Bagshot
You were in zone CA-F(n). When I fell foul of one round there, I found the sign I had passed to be back on the Swiss Cottage one way system where it's umpteen lanes wide and a red route. Last thing you are thinking about, out there, is where you are going to park. A very cheeky trap in my opinion. After you've passed the sign, every road is covered. There are no reminders.

I'm told that Camden have the signs sown up, so you are unlikely to find a route into your zone which isn't signed. I'll bet you'll find the sign in a cheeky location though.

Good luck.
Bagshot
Camden High Street

Here are the signs. Just as the red route ends. Check the times of operation, have they really been extended to that late at night now? According the Google streetview they are still 18:30 and the Camden CPZ map I have says similar.
Golfgtimk5
I was also parked on Chalk Farm Road on Saturday night and also got a ticket. I made the same mistake as you. I must have been the car before yours, my time is 9.25. I was furious at the time, so I walked along the road and there were at least 6 cars all with tickets just on the short stretch of road. Being from out of town I feel like I was a sitting duck for that ticket. I couldnt see any signs about parking restrictions so did the same as you.
Bagshot
Looking at Camden's CPZ map they have introduced a new zone CA-F(nw) which runs to 23:00 every night of the week. The signs aren't easy to spot, and you wouldn't expect them to operate that late.
RoxJames
QUOTE (Golfgtimk5 @ Mon, 10 Jan 2011 - 11:40) *
I was also parked on Chalk Farm Road on Saturday night and also got a ticket. I made the same mistake as you. I must have been the car before yours, my time is 9.25. I was furious at the time, so I walked along the road and there were at least 6 cars all with tickets just on the short stretch of road. Being from out of town I feel like I was a sitting duck for that ticket. I couldnt see any signs about parking restrictions so did the same as you.

Same! I am from South London!! I also did the same thing and walked a good few cars up, the were all ticketed. I was parked behind a black BMW... no signs whatsoever. Very annoying.

QUOTE (Bagshot @ Sun, 9 Jan 2011 - 12:18) *
Camden High Street

Here are the signs. Just as the red route ends. Check the times of operation, have they really been extended to that late at night now? According the Google streetview they are still 18:30 and the Camden CPZ map I have says similar.

Thank you for this. These signs have to be about a mile from where I was actually parked. Here is a link to where I was parked EXACTLY.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...,331.82,,1,9.45

Using the information I quoted regarding no clear signs and also the proximity, do I have a feasible case? I think I do...
RoxJames
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sun, 9 Jan 2011 - 11:41) *
Post the PCN please

Sounds like you ran foul of a CPZ...we need to know which one and what restrictions.

I'll scan it in tomorrow and post it up.

Bagshot very kindly posted a link to where the signs are... continue along Camden High Street, continue past the Lock, pass where the road forks, continue past the next crossing and I parked immediately after the zig zag line. I posted a link to the exact spot in the response.

Finally, it would appear that someone else on here got the same ticket. What do you suggest we do?
Enceladus
With the exception of the OP (original poster), would everyone who has a PCN please start their own thread. Whilst it maybe that the initial circumstances are identical, things change as the cases progress and will otherwise become confused.

By all means keeps tabs on what is happening in related cases and cross refer as required.
RoxJames
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sun, 9 Jan 2011 - 11:41) *
Post the PCN please

DancingDad
I see you 14 days for discount is almost up.
Have you managed to find or confirm the CPZ times yet ??
IF not, I'd suggest that you get a challenge in based on that you believe that the restriction times were not in operation at the time of the alleged contravention so cannot undertand why a PCN was served. So please cancel the PCN
If they believe differently could they supply information on the CPZ with maps or diagrams showing which signs you may have passed and a copy of the relevant traffic order with schedules so you can verify.

Could you post the whole of the PCN btw, 2 pages, front and back.

See if any other suggstions come in but get a challenge in to buy time.
Gary Kane
Was there any resolution to this case or has anyone found a route into CA-F (nw) with missing, illegal or obscured signage?

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.