Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Done for a bald tyre....points will tot to 12..?????????????
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
matthewbird
My last points are 10/06/01 - 3 ...I think this has expired?
                          01/05/03 - 3
                          11/04/04 - 6 (No Disq due to exceptional hardship found in court - Getting to work argument).

Today...Ive just been stopped  12:30 am and they said I was going fast...I honestly didnt think I was breaking the limit...eventually they said think yourself lucky we cant record your speed and do you...then the lovely officers checked all the tyres, and did me for one being lower than legal tread limit.
Apparently I ill get 3 points. Any reccomendations?  Will this mean I tot up to 12 and get a ban?  Or could i get away with it?
bigstoop
Did they take the tyre's details?

Did they visually inspect it or use a tool? (The TWI are only a guide AFAIK)

Is the tyre seriously bald, or is on the limit, take it to an MOT station and ask them to do you a certificate stating that

Reg XXXXXXX Date: XXXXXX

Tyre inspected on (OSF,NSF,OSR,NSR), make, model, size, serial number is in my opinion legal as it has x.xmm of tread along at least the minimum required area of tyre.

Signed and Stamped

Usually the local plod just chance there arm, the traffic boys are a little more clued up.

To check the tyre yourself, look for TWI on the sidewall, in the tread you'll see little rubber blocks along the breadth of the tread, if the tread is above the blocks, no matter how slight then you should be ok, however if it is smooth then you are in trouble.

Your also ok if the bald part is in an edge, center or in a spot as the tread has to cover something like 75% of the tyre to be legal, which is handy, becaus emy tyres always wear on the inside edges at the front then get stuck on the back.
bigstoop
My mistake on a few points, however look here

http://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-tyre-law
matthewbird
Cheers, I will have a go with the certificate....I dont think they used any tools.

What sort of ban am I looking at if I get one?
stealthtax
totting up bans are 6 - 12 months unless you got really good mitigating circumstances you can sometimes be on 12 points and still be allowed to drive. but its not often it happens.

not a good idea driving with baldy tyres when your on 9 points. icon_wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.