Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So Called "Under Inflated Tyre"
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
chrisnlucy27
Finally got my car on the road ready for winter and the arrival of our baby.
My partner is the insured and named driver but the car belongs to me (log book)
We got pulled last night, they asked whos car it was and i told them it was mine.
Hes only recently moved in with me and ive put his insurance in our address but his licence is still at his mums address.
The reason we got pulled is an "underinflated tyre" .. We had a puncture and due to the car being old and rickety anyway we didnt realise. we were only doing 25 mph anyway so no danger in speeding or whatever.
We checked the wheels beforehand and there were no problems with them.
The police were very arsey and issued him with a £60 fine and 3 points on his licence for the underinflated tyre...
How can they do that,when we had a spare on us!! surely they should have just made us aware of the puncture ??
Im very annoyed as they were also trying to give him a £1000 fine and take him to the station for fraud as his licence isnt at this address!!!!

The reason im so annoyed is we are saving up as our baby is due in 6 weeks and he will be taking time off work to spend with us, now the police evpect us to pay a £60 fine and fork out for a new wheel and tyre.. ?

The fine is an issue but im more bothered about the points!!

Has anything like this happened to anyone else ??

spanner345
What did the police check the tyre pressure with?
The Rookie
Driving with a tyre in a dangerous condition is a criminal offence, and the police are within their rights to issue a fixed penalty or summons for it, I agree it sounds harsh to go straight to a penalty instead of a warning, but we are seeing more of these nowadays.

If you feel you have a case then you decline the fixed penalty and will have a chance to defend it in court, but if you loose the cost will be a lot higher than £60.

Simon
GB69
I doubt it would lead to a conviction in court, and if it does its still 3 pts but higher fine, which can be paid at £20 a mth or so.
Thousands of people everyday will get a puncture, surely they cant all be fined and given pts, whats the point in carrying a spare.
AFCNEAL
QUOTE (GB69 @ Fri, 12 Nov 2010 - 11:10) *
I doubt it would lead to a conviction in court, and if it does its still 3 pts but higher fine, which can be paid at £20 a mth or so.
Thousands of people everyday will get a puncture, surely they cant all be fined and given pts, whats the point in carrying a spare.

The point of carry a spare is to stop and put it on the car?

Although it's not clear in the OP's post, it reads like the tyre was flat (not under-inflated) and for reasons not entirely comprehensible, the driver didn't realise?????

If it was a bit low on pressure, the question is how did Plod know this and is there a record kept?

OP - I don't read you post that you have to buy a new wheel and tyre, only that the puncture needs repairing (usually about £20)? Did the Plod give you some sort of rectification order then?
Mortimer
QUOTE (AFCNEAL @ Fri, 12 Nov 2010 - 11:44) *
Although it's not clear in the OP's post, it reads like the tyre was flat (not under-inflated) and for reasons not entirely comprehensible, the driver didn't realise?????

I regularly point out to people when their tyres are low or sometimes even flat, and it seems to me that people genuinely do not know. I've had a flat on my car, and it is very hard to tell, especially at low speeds. Suspension technology and sound proofing hide the noise. Power steering masks any effects on the handling feel of the car. So I for one, can quite understand that there are occasions when people will drive for some time, until the problem is either pointed out to them, or the journey progresses to a situation and/or conditions that make it more obvious, like joining a motorway.

roadrunner 163
QUOTE (chrisnlucy27 @ Fri, 12 Nov 2010 - 10:41) *
Finally got my car on the road ready for winter and the arrival of our baby.
My partner is the insured and named driver but the car belongs to me (log book)
We got pulled last night, they asked whos car it was and i told them it was mine.
Hes only recently moved in with me and ive put his insurance in our address but his licence is still at his mums address.
The reason we got pulled is an "underinflated tyre" .. We had a puncture and due to the car being old and rickety anyway we didnt realise. we were only doing 25 mph anyway so no danger in speeding or whatever.
We checked the wheels beforehand and there were no problems with them.
The police were very arsey and issued him with a £60 fine and 3 points on his licence for the underinflated tyre...
How can they do that,when we had a spare on us!! surely they should have just made us aware of the puncture ??
Im very annoyed as they were also trying to give him a £1000 fine and take him to the station for fraud as his licence isnt at this address!!!!

The reason im so annoyed is we are saving up as our baby is due in 6 weeks and he will be taking time off work to spend with us, now the police evpect us to pay a £60 fine and fork out for a new wheel and tyre.. ?

The fine is an issue but im more bothered about the points!!

Has anything like this happened to anyone else ??

Hello..
Just to address a couple of things for you. It would not have been up to you to notice or feel the flat tyre but the driver should really have been aware of the car and the handling to have noticed. Stopped as soon a soon a possible and replaced the wheel with the spare.
That said the police are entitled to issue the FPN for this offence and I suspect as it was flat their records will not show a low pressure but the physical characteristics of the tyre, that its being driven on the wall or the walls are splayed out onto the road surface etc etc...

You can contest this in court but it would depend on how long the bib were behind (did they give your partner time to notice and react to the flat which may or may not have just happened. If followed for a few minutes or miles then this wont really help matters at all.) or how badly damaged the tyre was, a ruined tyre caused by being run on flat will go against you, a fully serviceable tyre repaired and refitted may help a little in terms of mitigation. But I hasten to add its not that straight forward....

It is an offence not to notify DVLA of change of name or address and maximum penalty is £1000 but in reality they if taken to court with other offences he will likely be told to get it sorted out (which if it goes to court I am sure he will have had the good sense to do first.) and no further penalty imposed.

As for the bib actions, they are not concerned about the finances of a driver but that the car is safe, road worthy and poses as little risk to others as is enforceable.

My only question as you mention a ffine, tyre and new wheel, is the tyre & Wheel damaged beyond repair???
jobo
QUOTE (roadrunner 163 @ Fri, 12 Nov 2010 - 13:02) *
It is an offence not to notify DVLA of change of name or address and maximum penalty is £1000 but in reality they if taken to court with other offences he will likely be told to get it sorted out (which if it goes to court I am sure he will have had the good sense to do first.) and no further penalty imposed.

dont want to send the thread of track, as its only an aside. but what your saying isnt so to the circumstances described by the op.

you dont need to have your DL in your current residence, just at an address you have an interest in and can be contacted, so no offence in this instance4

the op isnt big on detail, but if the tyre was ok when they set of and they hadnt yet noticed the deflation, or were in the process of stopping when the police saw them, there would seem to a defence, every body who has a flat drives for some distance on it, its just how far
roadrunner 163
blink.gif Oops I stand corrected I missed that part about it being at his mums.... blink.gif

nemo
The comments which 'advise' how, when, why tyres pressures (and the like) should be checked have been moved - to here..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.