Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poole bay A350
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
IndyJ
Ok I have not received a NIP yet but as this is really worrying me I thought I would find out the likely outcomes. I was driving into Poole along the A350 (an area I have never been to before). It was 7 at night and No other traffic was about. I was travelling along the 50 mph section of the road when approaching a set of traffic lights. As I approached the light it went Amber. I had the option of slamming my breaks on or keep going as I don't like heavy breaking and it was not red I went through. I am not normally an amber gambler as it is a dangerous way to drive. Well as I went through I saw a flash which I thought was weird but I put it down to me missing the light. I later realized that the road had changed to 30 shortly before the light. I was doing around 35-40 at the time. Now I when I went past another day with my dad (we were all going to my sisters graduation hence the reason I was in Poole) I said look out for the speed and he said well its 50. I did spot the 30 sign the second time and its 200 metres after a 50 sign shortly before he lights.

What is really worrying me is the likely outcome. I have zero points at the moment but as I really need my car and being very poor at the moment I cannot afford a massive fine and massive rise in my insurance. I seem to have found one of the only places were they have a duel use camera. This whole thing really scares me as individually I guess they are both 3 point offences but with the 2 will it be a court and a higher offence? I feel gutted as I really don't speed and I don't jump lights normally the speed was me not spotting a sign as I was concentrating on were to go at the lights. Is my best hope that I made the light before it went red? so I only get a speeding fine?
The Rookie
35-40 in a 30 limit will usually be punished with a fixed penalty (3pts and £60 fine) or you will be offered a Speed awareness course (£70-100 depending on area - no points), if it was the red light that triggered the camera then the fixed penalty is the same but very few area's offer red light courses.

'Really don't speed' well yes you do, when you don't see limit signs, a foolish thing to say I'm afraid.

Only time will tell what will happen, the registered keeper will know within 14 days of the alleged offence.

Simon
IndyJ
I guess we all speed so yes I accept a silly statement. I guess I meant I try not to speed and make an effort to stay under the limit. Well I guess its wait and see sad.gif
IndyJ
Sorry for double post but I have just one question. As this was a duel use camera could I in theory be done for both of these and get a 6 points? or is it more likely they do one or the other.
peterguk
I guess if you went through the red light, at an excess speed, then that's two offences...
IndyJ
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - November 2010
Date of the NIP: - 9 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 10 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A350, Holes Road, Poole
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I was driving down the road at night and missed the speed limit change. I was doing 43 in the 30 section (through the lights which were on amber) I have onyl been told I was doing 43 in a 30 so I guess I made the light biggrin.gif.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:52:06 +0000
the_unrepentant
I got done at that exact point in January. It hadn't long been a 30mph in that area and I thought it was still a 50. I got caught doing 46 thinking I was perfectly legal. As you say, they put new signs up saying 30mph but i got too confident in thinking I knew the road so i missed the new signs! I believe you may have been going too fast for them to offer you the drivers awareness course, but fingers crossed they do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.