Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: parking ticket from private company
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
alibabe
hi, new to forum and would really appreciate some help. went to local cinema in sheffield on wed only to have meal. didnt realise it was orange wednesday - bad move. place was absolutely rammed! spent 30 mins looking for parking - found area in services bay along with another 4 cars -there were 2 no parking cones which we thought had just been dumped so we moved them - bad move! got ticket as we had blocked a disable ramp.which was about 2 metres wide . got ticket for £80 from vehicle control services., went back following day and did see lots of signs about ticketing - it was dark on the night so we didnt really see them - no excuse tho. went to their office and they say they have us on camera moving the cones. with it being a private company how do i stand? i did ring a lawcare company connected to my work and they did tell me they can enforce ticket - anyone advise?
buttonpusher
Assuming the ppc was acting for themselves then there's naff all they can do. They lawcentre should know better.
axeman
had a look at VCS web site, what a load of £$£%&

extract

"Arthur -v- Anker [1995] QB the Court of Appeal
The judge thought it doubtful whether proof of damage was necessary and found a right to distrain, but held, assuming it was, that damage should in this case be presumed, since land was a valuable commodity, CAR PARKING SPACES were at a premium, and a party entitled to the use of the private car park suffered a loss if he was deprived of that use by a trespasser"

so as it is a free car park, the loss is nil so thats all they can claim....nil

(not) very clever VCS and thats assuming they own the land, as only the land owner can claim or have assigned it to VCS which they won't have.

you will get a few letters but just ignore them.
ManxRed
Does your work pay for the lawcare service? I'd get a refund!
Alexis
i did ring a lawcare company connected to my work and they did tell me they can enforce ticket - anyone advise?

They'd have to take you to small claims for that. And they'd lose anyway. What would they claim for? Did they offer you the service of parking in front of a disabled bay for £xx? No? Then they are only liable for actual losses caused. Which would be zero.

VCS have never ever done court anyway, and never will do.

The charge is unenforceable. Simply ignore them and their junkmail. They will go away after a few letters.

alibabe
just been on vehicle control services website and it says that they pursue unpaid fines with court summons? so does everyone think this unlikely? worried unsure.gif
kwaks
They are hardly likely to tell you they will give up after a few letters.

They don't do court.
mustdash
alibabe - listen to the advice given here - if the likes of Alexis / Manxred / Axeman are telling you that the 'ticket' in unenforceable, then it is 100% unenforceable. If they are saying ignore the company, then do just that! They will try and scare you, but thats all it is - scare tactics!
alibabe
thank you for your advice everyone. i am not going to pay these [Mod edit]. will keep everyone informed of the expected letters. just a born worrier but i can see how that is how they keep getting people to pay up. any court threats will have people panicking. but now i know what to expect i wont worry. cheers. alibabe
Alexis
thank you for your advice everyone. i am not going to pay these [Mod edit]. will keep everyone informed of the expected letters. just a born worrier but i can see how that is how they keep getting people to pay up. any court threats will have people panicking. but now i know what to expect i wont worry. cheers. alibabe

Widespread misunderstanding about county court and CCJs is what they rely on.
alibabe
hi - i got a parking ticket ages ago - october 2010 in sheffield centertainment for ppc. totoally ignored all correspondance - incldsing letters from graham white - now today had a message on my mobile phone to ring roxburghe urgently - who i know obviously want to speak to me about this. do i continue to ignore - and how do they have my mobile telephone number? thanks
ManxRed
You may have inadvertantly put your mobile number on some DVLA form?? I am reasonably sure they give this out (albeit erroneously) when the PPCs get the RK's details.

You can do one of three things

1. Ignore completely
2. Call them, state that the debt is denied, and they must refer it back to their client. Any future contact will be treated as harassment and you may take action against them in respect of that. End the call, do not enter into a conversation with them about anything.
3. Have some fun. Call them back and pretend to be a nutter, ask them what colour underwear they have on. Ask them what they had for breakfast. tell them about your breakfast (or underwear).
alibabe
thanks - think i will stick with ignoring completely - will get all nervous on the phone! are they likely to keep sending messages - this mobile number is getting cut off on 2nd may anyway, as gone onto diferent phone contract so they shouldnt be able to carry on sending messages!
ManxRed
They may well be persistent, times are hard in Private Parking Land (which can only be good news).
alibabe
thanks - will keep forum informed .
parkinglad
Interesting point to note...

The security office at the site you mention isn't VCS, it's manned by a firm called Mitie Security. They are a completely separate entity to VCS, and it is them who control CCTV etc. Would very much like to know how long there CCTV footage is kept for, as this is the only real way they would be able to prove who was driving the vehicle (the CCTV setup there is absolutely state of the art, do not take it lightly).
bama
Their DPA registration is a bit 'overachieving'...

"Crime prevention and detection and the apprehension and prosecution of offenders."

and that their only DPA coverage for CCTV. Oops....
parkinglad
The VCS staff that lurk around the car park also yellow high-vis jackets with Security written across, yet don't display SIA licenses. I actually asked if one of them was a SIA badgeholder. "Yes". I asked him where it was, and he replied in my pocket, then refusing to show it to me. I thought it was a requirement for them to worn clearly visible on the outer clothing at all times?
bama
requirement of what ?

and what has the SIA to do with "invoice slappers" (tm pending smile.gif )
Fredd
Perhaps the thought is that if they're wearing hi-viz jackets with "Security" slapped across them then they're acting as security guards, not just "invoice slappers" - and security guarding is a licensable activity?
bama
but wearing a hi viz jacket isn't.

(though for sure VCS doesn't have a Section 4 exemption)
parkinglad
I may be mistaken - but aren't wheel clampers required to wear SIA badges? And would this not extend to the VCS staff as they also clamp vehicles? Also, I'm pretty sure the SIA says that it's a requirement to wear an SIA badge in a job where a member of the general public may approach you for help or assistance in the belief that you are responsible for the safety and well-being of the public, by wearing a jacket with Security written on it, would it not be reasonable to approach this person for assistance?
bama
Any clamping signs at this location ?
andy_foster
QUOTE (parkinglad @ Wed, 20 Apr 2011 - 17:44) *
I may be mistaken - but aren't wheel clampers required to wear SIA badges?

Subject to exemptions that would not apply to wheel clamping, anyone engaged in a licensable activity must display an SIA licence. Wheel clamping is a licensable activity.

And would this not extend to the VCS staff as they also clamp vehicles?

Generally ticketing and clamping are entirely separate. Just because some staff sometime clamp vehicles does not mean that all staff must always display a licence.

Also, I'm pretty sure the SIA says that it's a requirement to wear an SIA badge in a job where a member of the general public may approach you for help or assistance in the belief that you are responsible for the safety and well-being of the public, by wearing a jacket with Security written on it, would it not be reasonable to approach this person for assistance?

I'd be very surprised if that was law, of even if the SIA said it - unless you can dig out some authority for your assertion.
Roughlife
This is the sign they have put up..
Inflatable Armadillo
This whole car park is a joke, even in PPC land!

That has to be the weakest sign I have ever seen, at least most PPC make some kind of effort with their signs. This sign tell you nothing at all. How long can I stay, is it free, is there a charge???? It tries to tell me I am entering in to a contract but a contract for what... you do give me any 'conditions' or 'clauses' I am supposed to be agreeing to by parking here???

They don't even use the classic... see this website for our T&C's!!!

These guys are taking the biscuit!!!
DBC
I first thought that the left-hand-side logo was some sort of flying saucer, but I think it's pretending to be a police cap, complete with black and white chequered border. And what is that "PCN" logo trying to convey?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.